AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I am hearing about these new DLP's with 1800:1 contrast ratio's, I am curious as to whether any news regarding newer Colour wheel technology is available.

I am highly sensitive to the rainbow effect, and was hoping that some fix, over and above the current methods (which don't work for me) have been found.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I think most of the folks working on next year's projectors do not want to talk about their improvements to avoid cannibalizing sales of this year's projectors.

We will hear all about them in September, then they will ship in late Fall early Winter.

All I have heard was about 7.5X or 8X color wheels versus the 5-6X in use today.

-- Cain

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
David,

The next generation of color wheels will employ the spiral Archemedes wheel rather than just a faster version of the current segmented wheels. The TI DLP web site has an interesting white paper that gives the gist of the technology.

At CES the TI follks stated that the new wheel has not yet been perfected and reading between the lines I got the impression that CES '03 was the first time I might even hope to see them in production form.

If you are still sensitive to rainbows on the latest projectors with the 16:9 chips these spiral wheels ought to help, but no guarantee. You are one of the few who still see rainbows with the faster wheels and you may just not get a total solution with DLPs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.