AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tech sounds like it will be better than either DLP or QXGA D'ILA and could be less expensive than both, according to the Silicon Light Machines' white papers...

Has anyone heard anything?

I hope Sony shows *something* at CES

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Egad. It sounds too good to be true. I hear the words "blue" "laser" and "projector" juxtaposed and I think big money. Still, if they used some other light source it could be pretty sweet, especially with the ability to scan different geometries.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the technology sounds unbelievable.....

It sounds so much better than DLP and D'ILA (more than 4000:1 contrast ratio, switching speed a thousand times faster than DLP,no screendoor effect, true 1080p res using a fraction the bandwidth of QXGA D'ILA, built-in scaling)there must be some sort of catch...

You can d/l the pdf brochure and whitepapers in this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/009350.html

If there is a display technology with better cost to performance ratio on the horizon, I am unaware of it...

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
If I remember correctly, GLV is a scanning technology which is why it requires such a higher switching frequency. Instead of displaying the whole screen at one time (like LCD, LCOS, or DLP) or scanning vertically (like CRT) GLV scans horizontally. I wouldn't be surprised if someone out their claimed artifacts caused by this, I'm imagining some sort of motion artifacts or strobing.

-phil

[This message has been edited by PhilB (edited 10-04-2001).]

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Believe it's been several years since I saw some threads here when this technology was first unveiled. I'd search the archives, but threads this far back often have vanished.

Recall some knowledgeable-sounding folks expressed doubts about consumer applications, saying the technology would require very powerful lasers that drew huge amounts of power. I've also been puzzled about the mechanical-scanning aspects of the system since it seems to take video back to the very earliest TV systems with spinning wheels.

Not dismissing the hardware...who wouldn't want such display features?! But perhaps someone can bring us up to date about laser requirements and other drawbacks. -- John

[This message has been edited by John Mason (edited 10-05-2001).]

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
1080p and contrast ratio is > 3000:1
http://www.sony.co.jp/en/SonyInfo/Ne...00206/02-023E/

In the future, Sony will continue to research and develop [Grating Light Valve] technology with the aim of introducing this device into the professional projection market and high quality home theatre products within the next two years.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
One advantage of this technolgy should be variable aspect ratio control since only the vertical elements are "fixed" or have I missed something ?

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
It's Achilles heel is the light source. Only a single column of pixels is illuminated, so the light has to be very finely focused in one dimension. Right now the most practical way is with lasers, which are very expensive.

Re its mechanicalness, it is now more so than a DMD.

·
Registered
117 Posts
This looks very good BUT- it will clearly have the same scan rate flicker characteristics of a CRT, which means that 60 FPS won't be enough. Maybe if they are planning to repaint in reverse as the mirror returns for 120 refreshes/second it would be okay. If they intend to do one varying intensity full-length flash per pixel per frame, this will be even more pronounced. It won't even have the latency of CRT to help it.

The design shows the mirror AFTER the lens, which would make it a pretty macro moving part to control. Of course, I doubt they plan on using a swingy mirror like a barcode scanner. Would a rotating facetted cylinder be better?

Odd how the 70's disco 'technology' of colored wheels and mirror balls is being used in the newest digital projection technology.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
The blue laser necessary at this point is $$$

I still think it is 5 years from being obtainable by us enthusiasts and at least 10 years from being main stream.

That is just a guess.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
More specifically, the combination of Blue Laser, High Power (with reasonable current draw), and Long Life (10,000 hours) is a very, very expensive one at the moment.

The scanning characteristics are not particularly troublesome.

Andy K.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
What's not to like?
  • Full HD 1920x1080 resolution
  • Laser based primaries allows a color gamut of TWICE the size of CRT(!). Wow. That would be some knock-your-socks off color!
  • Contrast over 3000:1. This should quiet all the black-level nuts as well as the brightness lovers.
  • Cost under $5,000 USD

I want one!

(Oh, and I made up that last bullet point...but a guy can dream!)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by milori
What's not to like?
  • Full HD 1920x1080 resolution
  • Laser based primaries allows a color gamut of TWICE the size of CRT(!). Wow. That would be some knock-your-socks off color!
  • Contrast over 3000:1. This should quiet all the black-level nuts as well as the brightness lovers.
  • Cost under $5,000 USD

I want one!

(Oh, and I made up that last bullet point...but a guy can dream!)
Drool!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.