AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I just recently purchased the HD remake of Halo 1 for Xbox 360. I could never afford the xbox when the first Halo game was released, so I regretfully missed out on the entire series.

But now, Im playing through Halo and I am really enjoying it :)

Now, does anybody know if they intend to make an HD version of the second game as well?

Would be great so I could play through the entire series on my xbox 360 :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
It has been all but officially confirmed that an HD remake of Halo 2 will be available on Xbox One this fall. I don't know about the 360, though. I also don't know if they plan to make a 360 version and then port it to Xbox One or if the game will be explicitly designed for Xbox One. If it's a 360 game ported to the One I'm out. If it's designed as an HD port for the One I'm in

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
There's a NeoGaf rumor that sounds promising. Other than that, nothing to report on this.

But since it's so obvious with Halo 2's popularity, the success of the previous remake, and of HD remasters in general for popular releases, the question remains when it will happen, not if.

Patience will surely reward the fans waiting on this project.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Ok, thank you :)

I think in either way will be good for me since I either can play it on the 360 or purchase an xbox one in anticipation for Halo 5.

Also, do any of you know in which order I should play the Halo games so they make sense in a story perspective?

Because there are a couple of them out there that isn't numbered. Like for example the Halo ODST, how does this game fit into the story arch?

Thank you again! I really appreciate your answers!

·
Registered
373 Posts
For a correct story timeline:

1. Halo Wars (Not a first-person shooter, it's a real-time strategy game)

2. Halo: Reach

3. Halo: Combat Evolved

4. Halo 2/Halo 3: ODST (both take place at the same time, but ODST 'begins' partway through Halo 2's action and does not involve Master Chief)

5. Halo 3

6. Halo: Spartan Assault (top-down 3rd-person shooter)

7. Halo 4

Also, the xbox 360 is backwards-compatible with the original xbox version of Halo 2. It's certainly playable, and I'd say worth the playthrough instead of waiting another 6-12 months; but visually it definitely can use an update.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Cool, Halo reach is a prequel. Excellent! Will try to buy a copy of that game this weekend :)

And cool about the xbox being backwards compatible, didn't know that. Thats great news since original xboxes seems to be pretty scares these days.

Oh thank you soooo much :)

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
While I thought it should be played in the story timeline (as shown by mguy5), I've changed my mind and really think you should play it in the release timeline just for the fact that the games were made with the understanding that the gamer has played in that same sequence. So for example, Halo: Reach makes a lot of references that any Halo gamer would know having played all the games. But those references would go over the head of someone new to Halo. And the story of Halo is really framed around Master Chief. Halo Reach was more about seeing the flip side (like who were the other players in the war before the Chief ever arrived in the story) and how things got to the point where MC got there (and MC is in Halo Reach at the end if you do the easter egg).

So I would do Halo Anniversary, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo: Reach, Halo 4, etc. Halo 3: ODST I hated and can be skipped. It doesn't even follow Spartans but follows ODST soldiers. Halo Wars is good but it's so different as it's a RTS game and many of today's console gamers don't play RTS.

And the other reason I wouldn't start off with Reach is while it's good to flesh out the Halo universe for the Halo fans, on its own, it's kind of weak. The Spartans are non-descript and numerous that you don't have anyone to really root for. The story has good and bad. It'd be a shame to judge the Halo series on just playing Reach if that's all you end up playing (which could very well happen because we're all grown up with less time to play an entire series of games).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime  /t/1521140/any-news-on-a-halo-2-hd-remake#post_24450046

While I thought it should be played in the story timeline (as shown by mguy5), I've changed my mind and really think you should play it in the release timeline just for the fact that the games were made with the understanding that the gamer has played in that same sequence. So for example, Halo: Reach makes a lot of references that any Halo gamer would know having played all the games. But those references would go over the head of someone new to Halo. And the story of Halo is really framed around Master Chief. Halo Reach was more about seeing the flip side (like who were the other players in the war before the Chief ever arrived in the story) and how things got to the point where MC got there (and MC is in Halo Reach at the end if you do the easter egg).

So I would do Halo Anniversary, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo: Reach, Halo 4, etc. Halo 3: ODST I hated and can be skipped. It doesn't even follow Spartans but follows ODST soldiers. Halo Wars is good but it's so different as it's a RTS game and many of today's console gamers don't play RTS.

And the other reason I wouldn't start off with Reach is while it's good to flesh out the Halo universe for the Halo fans, on its own, it's kind of weak. The Spartans are non-descript and numerous that you don't have anyone to really root for. The story has good and bad. It'd be a shame to judge the Halo series on just playing Reach if that's all you end up playing (which could very well happen because we're all grown up with less time to play an entire series of games).
oh, that's an interesting thought. The idea has actually crossed my mind many times, but regarding film series like Star Wars and Lotr/Hobbit. Seeing them in the order of time would make more sense in the story perspective, but as you say, you miss a lot of the references. Like for example when Obiwan says to Anakin "You will be the death of me" (or something to that effect) which is only funny if you have seen the original star wars movies.

But maybe you are right, and since I already started playing Halo Anniversary maybe I should continue on from there. Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
7 Posts

Weird thing for me is, ill play Halo 1 in the original graphics and think it looks better than the new HD texturing. Halo2 though i find painful to see those cinematic and archaic levels. H2 could really do with an upgrade

1 - 9 of 9 Posts