AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
It works with xbox via media sharing on windows media player 11 I don't know why it wouldn't work on the ps3 but I don't know much about media sharing

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
this would be bad ass now that netflix sux (because of price hiking and lack of good streaming content), and amazon just signed a deal with FOX

Quote:
Dear Customer,

I have big news for Amazon Prime members - we've just signed a deal with FOX to add a broad selection of movies and TV shows to our unlimited instant streaming service later this fall. The new additions from the FOX library include 24, Arrested Development, The X-Files, Ally McBeal, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and - available on digital video for the first time - The Wonder Years. We now have deals with CBS, NBCUniversal, Sony, and Warner Bros, and adding FOX will bring the total to more than 11,000 movies and TV shows available for unlimited instant streaming.

Since launching earlier this year, we have now doubled the number of titles available in Prime instant videos, and there's still more to come. Prime membership remains $79 a year, and of course features our unlimited free two-day shipping on millions of products. Prime is one of the best values anywhere.

Prime instant videos can be played on more than 300 HDTVs, Blu-ray players, and set-top boxes.

www.amazon.com

I couldn't find anything on this online, anyone heard any rumors?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva /forum/post/21005573

You do realize most, if not all, of those Fox shows that Amazon just signed on for have been on Netflix for quite some time already?

Which is a good thing, I guess, since folks are leaving Netflix in droves.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:

You do realize most, if not all, of those Fox shows that Amazon just signed on for have been on Netflix for quite some time already?

Yup. I'm still not persuaded to leave Netflix along with the "droves" supposedly already leaving. It'll all come down to what Netflix/Qwikster ultimately does with their DVD and game libraries.

But it is good news that there is some direct competition right on Netflix's heels. Amazon Prime is cheaper and has the added shipping perks. Perhaps Netflix can be persuaded to rein in their new pricing model or offer some sort of better deal to those with both a Netflix and a Qwikster account. This is good news, regardless of where consumers ultimately go. And if it makes it onto consoles, so much the better.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies /forum/post/21003648

this would be bad ass now that netflix sux (because of price hiking and lack of good streaming content), and amazon just signed a deal with FOX

I couldn't find anything on this online, anyone heard any rumors?

And the cycle continues:

Netflix Exclusive deal with Dreamworks
Quote:
Netflix has signed an exclusive deal with Dreamworks Animation which will allow them to stream content from the studio to Netflix. The deal will allow Netflix to stream content from Dreamworks which previously supplied content to HBO. The contract was negotiated at approximately $30 million per Dreamworks film title.

The only drawback to the deal is that Netflix will be unable to stream content from Dreamworks until 2013. However, Dreamworks is planning 3 new movies releases that year which Netflix will undoubtedly get.

The deal is very appealing for Dreamworks because under their contract with HBO they were unable to sell digital downloads to other providers. Now under the Netflix contract they will still be able to sell those digital downloads while providing streaming content to Netflix. So the deal with Netflix is relatively sugar coated and will allow Dreamworks to keep profiting off their content.

According to Gigaom, Netflix doesn't actually like to do exclusive deals it only does them when it has to compete with providers like HBO.

This deal could not have come at a better time as Netflix loses its deal with Starz, Netflix stock falls, and Netflix splits its streaming service and DVD service into separate parts.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/21005682

Yup. I'm still not persuaded to leave Netflix along with the "droves" supposedly already leaving. It'll all come down to what Netflix/Qwikster ultimately does with their DVD and game libraries.

But it is good news that there is some direct competition right on Netflix's heels. Amazon Prime is cheaper and has the added shipping perks. Perhaps Netflix can be persuaded to rein in their new pricing model or offer some sort of better deal to those with both a Netflix and a Qwikster account. This is good news, regardless of where consumers ultimately go. And if it makes it onto consoles, so much the better.

I agree competition is always good. Without a native app on the PS3 I see no reason to change just to save $1 a month.

·
Registered
402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinksjinx /forum/post/0

Wow so they are paying $90 million to stream 3 movies? Sounds like a bad investment....Especially since Dreamworks titles are meh....

No kidding. What I like(ed) about netflix is the quantity and diversity of their movies. Adding 3 animated movies is not going to draw many peoples attention or money.

I currently have Netflix, but it is losing its appeal quickly. And they seem to be getting worried about retaining customers, my other email account has started receiving emails offering "another free trial" if I come back (I changed emails when I signed back up for Netflix).

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

Quote:

hey thats super cool, does netflix provide 2 day free shipping on all of my everyday online and christmas shopping too in the cost as well?

·
Registered
4,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereToStart /forum/post/21013054

No kidding. What I like(ed) about netflix is the quantity and diversity of their movies. Adding 3 animated movies is not going to draw many peoples attention or money.

I currently have Netflix, but it is losing its appeal quickly. And they seem to be getting worried about retaining customers, my other email account has started receiving emails offering "another free trial" if I come back (I changed emails when I signed back up for Netflix).

We have noticed that the quality of films have dropped drastically.

But I don't even remember the last Dreamworks animated film, let alone if they were any good. Dreamworks animated hasn't made a solid film since Shrek...Just saying....I imagine Amazon is going to attack this.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinksjinx /forum/post/21013024

Wow so they are paying $90 million to stream 3 movies? Sounds like a bad investment....Especially since Dreamworks titles are meh....

minority report and collateral are awesome. only dreamworks titles i can think of offhand. but i know there are more.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinksjinx /forum/post/21013302

Dreamworks animated hasn't made a solid film since Shrek...Just saying....I imagine Amazon is going to attack this.

The Kung Fu Panda films were good; much better than their typical pop-culture-reference-filled movies.

·
Registered
410 Posts
$30 million PER film? What the hell. Can someone say "Desperate"?

Maybe they should use the $30 million to learn how not to screw over their loyal customers for the last decade

·
Registered
4,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning /forum/post/21014181

minority report and collateral are awesome. only dreamworks titles i can think of offhand. but i know there are more.

Collateral was really damn good and is underrated. But this deal applies to animated films as mentioned above. The Kung-Fu Panda movie was great but being that it is rather old not likely to watch it anytime soon.

Netflix should be chasing big name new releases and back catalog of popular movies from 80s-90s....Just my .02

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.