AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to find out if anyone knows when they are planning to download new software.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Let's keep this thread at the top, as I know Dish techies lurk here, and just maybe they'll leak some word to a forum member.

It's frustrating that they announced this new software with the new aspect ratio control for HD broadcasts months ago as if release was imminent, but no word since.

Dave

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
This is idle speculation but the last update came just before a Dish Network technical forum. During that technical forum they talked about the next update. There is another technical forum on July 16th and I would not be supprised if the new software update came just before the 16th.

Just my best wild guess.

Rick

·
Registered
75 Posts
I for one hope that they replace the entire look and feel.

Going from an RCA DTV system to Dish 6000 in menu terms has been a complete disappointment! I hate the menu. It reminds me of DOS programming that I used to do eons ago. Does Dish have any HCI people? I would think not. Why is the menu so slow? Why does it take forever to get program descriptions?

Why does Dish software for harware suck?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Allen:
... Why does it take forever to get program descriptions?

I think I can answer this one - it's a matter of how many "System Information" packets Dish has decided to mix into the data stream. See http://www.coolstf.com/mpeg/index.html#scpcmcpc for an explanation.

Given that Dish has decided to reduce SI packets (my assumption - I've seen this delay increase in their non-HDTV programming, too, though), it'd be nice if they programmed a workaround, like caching all this info for the current channel so at least it'd be semi-instantaneous if you'd been watching for a minute or two. They may be unable to do this with current hardware due to memory constraints. Sigh...

·
Registered
56 Posts
RAM is so cheap these days, why can't all the Echostar receivers cache the entire program guide and "program info" and then update the cache as the fresh SI packets are received?

How much RAM could the guide take up anyway? 32K? 128K?

My palm pilot has 8MB, and it doesn't even do that much.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Seems to me that when I had DirecTV and a Sony Sat B-2 receiver, I'd get about 4 hours of programming information at a time. If I scrolled forward in time past that 4 hour mark, I'd have to wait for another download, which would give me another 4 hours of programming information. Once that information was sent to my receiver, I got instant information on any and all programs.

I must say I agree that having to wait for program information to download from the satellite is a major pain in the butt. Why can't this information be downloaded to the receiver periodically throughout the day, even if it's not "on" (it's always "on", even if the display is disabled) This would seem to be a much better solution, then the information is always there except at those 4 hour break periods. Seems to me this is a hardware limitation with the 6000 receiver?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
My past experience with older Dish receivers (I have had DishPlayers for about a year, which store the guide on the disk) was that the program info came up much faster than on my 6000. Either the 6000 is slower or they are doing something differently than they used to be. They have added a bunch of channels if you include LIL since then and they are all in teh data stream even if they are not on your set so that could be part of the problem.

All I can say to E* is PLEASE test the software well. There are a couple of glitches with the latest DP software that should have been easily noticable with minimal testing but somehow they were not discovered. This may or may not be an entirely E* thing, but it is irritating nonetheless to have an overall less enjoyable expereince with "better" software.

Allthough testing this SW may not be as much of an issue since they accidentally demonstrated it on the LAST Tech Chat. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Seems to me that they have cranked up the bit rate for program info lately. My guide sometimes goes out up to 5 hours without a refresh and the info is almost instantaneous. I have a 6000. One bug I would like to see fixed is: I can't get INFO on a Sat channel if I am tuned into OTA and my receiver seems disconnected from the dish as it has to "Reacquire the signal" if I hit the guide instead of using transparent browse to get off the OTA channel.

------------------

"I want my HDTV Set!"

·
Registered
293 Posts
Can E* change their program guide through a download from tha satelite? I mean graphical looks of the guide?

------------------

You don't know and You don't know that you don't know!

·
Registered
210 Posts
A little bird has told me that the new software has been in beta for awhile, but has not yet gone through formal testing. This formal test is supposed to happen this week, but that may change since this isn't considered a top priority. Not sure how this translates to a release date.

Dave

·
Registered
113 Posts
It seems to me since they said the 6000 was openTV compatible, and even has the openTV logo on the back of the reciever, that they would have to make it work, one way or another. If they screwed up and did not put enough memory into some of the units, that is thier fault and they should replace all the ones that need it. It is basically faulse advertising if they do not. And, to keep customers happy, they should get the new software downloads out much quicker! This reciever has been out for over a year and still does not have the basic aspect controls that ANY other reciever has. That is just plain unsatisfactory no matter how you look at it. And it seems there are soo many problems with OTA mdules. When I bought my HDTV, it would have been so much eisier to go with a DirectTV, becuase they had a package deal with all the hardware, but I wanted Dish and now I am paying the price! After buying a 6000 package for FULL price (I could have got a DirectTV package MUCH cheaper) my 6000 was defective. Then I found out that the OpenTV comapatability was all a lie, then found out the caller ID function was not usable for months (it is now, but had to wait forever to get it) and only after a couple months one of my multi switches died. So far my expirience with Dish has been CRAPPY! And now I am waiting month after month to get the aspect control that should have been there from the start. t looks like as soon as the 6000 came out, and they found out they did not put enough memory in some of the units, they just started working on the next generation and put 6000 support on the back burner. Maybe they figured this was the easy way out instead of correcting the memory issue and making thigs right for the customers.

[This message has been edited by PCman (edited 06-27-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
I too wish the update was out. They showed the pdate on the last tech Chat which aired on April 7th and never mentioned that the upgrade was not out or was coming soon. The video made it seem that this release was already out.

I would love to see 2 bugs fixed, One the ablity to watch OTA channels when I do not have a satellite signal available (like the other day when a large storm rained down most of the night knocking out my TV for most of the night.

And #2 I want the ability to scan for DTV channels.

Scott

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I can't believe the menu system on the 6000 is the older system, and not the system that comes in the newer receivers. I'm hoping they catch up the program guide and menu looks to match the new receivers.

------------------

Michael Mullis

Director of US Operations

Next Level Gaming
http://www.nlgaming.com

·
Registered
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Mullis:
I can't believe the menu system on the 6000 is the older system, and not the system that comes in the newer receivers. I'm hoping they catch up the program guide and menu looks to match the new receivers.

From what I understand, the menu system was supposed to be OpenTV. A much better system. There was going to be an update to it, but it has been said that Dish realized that many or most of the 6000's were shipped with too little memory to support it, so they decided to stick with the slow, ugly, old fasioned system. So that means that the OpneTV logo on the back ofthe recieeeeevers is a outright lie. Too bad. If they got most of the bugs fixed it would be a nice system. Maybe in a year or so we will get another software upgrade to fix the aspect control...

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Quote:
From what I understand, the menu system was supposed to be OpenTV. A much better system. There was going to be an update to it, but it has been said that Dish realized that many or most of the 6000's were shipped with too little memory to support it, so they decided to stick with the slow, ugly, old fasioned system.
You're kidding right? You mean Dish can't give us the menu system without throwing the weather station in there? That stinks. That clunky program guide is almost worthless.

------------------

Michael Mullis

Director of US Operations

Next Level Gaming
http://www.nlgaming.com

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.