AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was supposed to be released this week I thought.. a cordless controller and built in bluetooth headset all for $59. I was looking forward to this but haven't heard anything in awhile. Anyone know anything?

· Registered
378 Posts
Man! I have been waiting for something like this! It's the only reason I have not picked up a wireless controller. Let us know how it works if you pick one up right away.

· Registered
408 Posts
It's supposedly out now... just under a different brand. Same controller, as per the pictures...

http://gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801842

Just to clear up any possible misconceptions, even the original HipGear one was a cordless bluetooth controller with wired headset.

· Registered
540 Posts
you know...if MS was really smart...they would have realeased their own xbox wireless controller and headset combo. The only problem I have with these combos is that none of the controllers come close to the type S controller.

· Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked this up today and am having the popping problem and it is unusable for me. Any way around this? What other options are available? Isn't there just a 2.4 or 5.8 GHZ cordless phone adapter type option? Apparently bluetooth has interference issues in my household.

· Registered
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Savageone79
I picked this up today and am having the popping problem and it is unusable for me. Any way around this? What other options are available? Isn't there just a 2.4 or 5.8 GHZ cordless phone adapter type option? Apparently bluetooth has interference issues in my household.
Have you tried the headset from Logitech? I have that one, and it gets the popping noises.

· Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No but since they are similar products I would assume I would have the same problem.. plus 80 bucks is a lot just for a headset. Any other options out there? I want my xbox live totally wireless!

· Registered
916 Posts
Mine got delivered from EBGames.com today. I give it a C+ so far.

The headset has the same clicking/popping issues that the Logitech does, likely due to interference from either my wireless network or cordless phone. I like the jack and wired headset idea because I can plug in a different headset if I don't like the one that came with the controller.

As far as the usability of the controller itself goes, it's just like the s-controller, but I like the feel of it better. The sticks are stiff, but maybe that'll wear-in with time. The stiffness results in no fine touch. It's harder to fire with pinpoint accuracy.

On the plus side is the turbo fire. It's great with single fire guns like the rocket launcher in Halo 2, or the pistol. However, if you have the turbo fire enabled and shoot an automatic weapon, it hesitates every second or so and doesn't fire continuously.

The vibration isn't very strong either.

If I ultimately decide not to keep it and my local EB Games doesn't take it back, I'll probably sell it to any interested party here.

Rick

· Registered
39 Posts
I'm just wondering if this popping is what to expect for all of the wireless headsets. I haven't talked to anyone that hasn't tried one of these headsets and not getting some kind of interference. The only other wireless xbox headset that I've seen is one made by Nyko (that I don't know anyone that has tried it before). I would try it, but it seems like at this point, it's pointless.

· Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I don't understand is since bluetooth is digital why there should be any interference, also why doesn't some one just make a headset based on cordless phone technology.. that should work pretty good without any sound problems.

· Registered
12 Posts
Just thought I'd add: I've been using the Jabra Bluetooth headset for many months now... it also pops.

It was annoying at first, but now I notice it tends to pop when it is first turned on.. for a minute or so.. then the popping just kinda goes away. It's fine after that.

· Registered
135 Posts
Got it today...not too bad but still the usual delay you get in wireless controllers, no pops yet but im sure ill get 'em.....C+

· Registered
916 Posts
After more time with the controller tonight, I'm going to have to return it.

A couple of buddies and I decided to play some Halo Team Slayer on XBox Live tonight and they both asked if I could switch headsets because of all the static they were hearing on their end. We went through three games of it before I switched to the original Huge controller that came out before the S-Controller. While using the bluetooth controller I got used to it a little and was able to hold my own. When I switched to the corded Huge controller, though, the difference between the two was also Huge.

No lag at all, and the voices of my buddies were crystal-clear compared to the wireless. I'd include my short time with the Logitech headset in that wireless/wired comparison as well. On top of it, the controller was smoother, more accurate and after getting used to it again (it's been a while since I usually use a logitech wireless controller with no headset), I played better. Of course that controller's sticks are worn in more and less stiff, but overall I'm coming to the conclusion that my ideal wireless solution just may not be there yet.

I guess clutter in the living room will still reign supreme!

Rick

· Registered
39 Posts
For those looking to try out a new controller, I decided to try out a Wideye wireless controller. It's kind of an older controller, and somewhat hard to find. It's shaped a lot like the original Microsoft brand (the big one). After playing around with it, it's really starting to grow on me. I've already tried several cordless controllers (Logitech, Pelican, Mad Catz, Cosmo, etc) and the Logitech wireless headset, and I like this one better than anything else that I've tried as far as overall effect. I've it offline and online (using Star Wars: Battlefront), and had great range with voice communication and never skipped a beat with my controls (furthest I tried was at 30 ft away). So if you can find one, I'd highly suggest giving it a try. Here's the homepage for it:
http://www.wideye.com.sg/english/gnb/xc1.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.