AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an update on whn this unit may become available? Last I read a month ago was in the fall, possibly september.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
anyone know who is planning on carrying it? (online or b&m?)

are any places taking preorders?

I just got my tu-hds20 but am sending it back...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Someone posted in a thread a few days ago that the Zenith DTV1080 is awaiting the approval of DIRECTV. The member indicated that DIRECTV's approval should come no later than September 1 and the release of the receiver should come shortly thereafter. In this light, has anyone heard that DIRECTV has given their approval for the program guide on the Zenith?

Andrew

·
Registered
492 Posts
Previous post gave two online sources for pre-orders

cousinsvideo.com

gochnauers.com

I haven't personally ordered from either

Michael

------------------

tuckerdog

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I spoke with Philips sales on Friday (they thought I was a dealer). They indicated that they expect to have the units ready to ship by early October. Pricing was unavailable, but they expect to have firm pricing for orders by mid September.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mepstein:
Skoolpsyk - Why are you sending the Panasonic back? Based on reviews, that's the one I was going to order.
you might want to rethink that. It's been a major hastle. I was having dropouts on the dish signal and I don't think the fan noise problem could be fixed to my liking. plus even with the update the menu is very slow, although that might be standard speed for hd stbs. the upconversion was ok, not spectacular. not much better than my tosh 65h80.

here is the e-mail I sent to dealmountain:

I have contacted Panasonic customer service by e-mail. It appears that this model has had problems in those units manufactured before July of this year and there are still problems that they are working on. Although I purchased it last week, the back of the unit reveals that it was manufactured in March 2001. Not only do I have the dropout problem and fan noise problem, but also when the unit is turned off, I lose some channels that were previously tuned. My signal strength is a strong 95 but it says it is searching for a signal one these stations only. Eventually they reappear but it is very time consuming and frustrating. I do not want a replacement unit as Panasonic has aknowledged the problems and I need to know that they are fixed so we do not continue to waste eachother's time sending units back and forth. The DealMountain customer service rep. said you can not tell me when a unit has been manufactured before it is sent out. I am including the text of the e-mail I received from Panasonic customer service (see below). Although Panasonic was honest, when I pay this much money I expect it to be in working condition and not wait until they figure out how to fix it and then send it to them. I have been very please with DealMountain and the service I have received. This has been unfortunate for both of us. I hope you can resolve this with Panasonic for the units you already have in stock so that your future customers do not have the same problems.

Thank you again for your help including the shipping troubles I had with UPS who lost the original order I placed with you.

I hope to do business with you again,

Dean M. Smith

From Panasonic customer service:

Different people hear different things in regards to the fan noise. As such if someone sends their unit to a service center if their fan is too loud, the service center has a workaround that will reduce the amount of noise coming from the unit.

As far as the freeze frame issue is concerned, that is an Electro Magnetic Interference issue that very few people are getting. Technically it is the result of another piece of electronics that is not shielded properly

affecting some components on our board with RF. A workaround should be

available through our fsc's soon.

If someone should run into both issues, we are currently asking them to wait till the EMI workaround is available before sending the unit to our fsc so we can kill two birds with one stone and only have one shipping charge. If you buy a unit now, you may not run into this because the workaround that is being worked out for service is already in recently shipped units.

Brian Egendorf "Stan"

Panasonic National Diagnostic Center

·
Registered
823 Posts
Quote:
I spoke with Philips sales on Friday
Philips? Do you mean Zenith, or are you talking about a different product?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.