AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any news on Onkyo 608 and DirectTV 3D issue. I really like the Onkyo but will look at Denon if Onkyo does not try to fix issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,948 Posts
Question is, how will owners get the fix?


Onkyo typically does not allow user upgrades to this level receiver.


People have gotten bootleg firmware upgrades from a poster on AVS, but this is on a Russian site. If you feel comfortable using it - fine, but there is certainly no guarantee that future fixes will be made available under the table.


If you have to pack up your receiver and send it off to Onkyo every time something happens in the 3D world, owning this discount model could get to be an expensive and inconvenient option. Onkyo typically does not pay for the owner to ship the unit to them for upgrades.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/18918564


Question is, how will owners get the fix?


Onkyo typically does not allow user upgrades to this level receiver.


People have gotten bootleg firmware upgrades from a poster on AVS, but this is on a Russian site. If you feel comfortable using it - fine, but there is certainly no guarantee that future fixes will be made available under the table.


If you have to pack up your receiver and send it off to Onkyo every time something happens in the 3D world, owning this discount model could get to be an expensive and inconvenient option. Onkyo typically does not pay for the owner to ship the unit to them for upgrades.

Yea that does suck, but Onkyo should understand that this is not and upgrade it's a fix to a problem. I had my heart set on the Onkyo, but I do not want to go through all the BS of updatuing or sending back to Onkyo.


Update

Just check Onkyo site their service center is located in NJ, about a half hour from where I live, may not be so bad to send to the, maybe I will just drive to the service and drop off the ereciver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,948 Posts
Onkyo seems to be at the cutting edge of features on their receivers, at a very good price point.


Wish they put some effort into the firmware upgrade process. They seem to provide a user upgrade path for their top line receivers, and apparently there is a way to update the units via the optical connection (I'm sure this is all the service centers do when they get a unit in for a firmware upgrade).


Providing the firmware on-line would be a good step, along with instructions for applying the update. If people can't do their own updates, authorized resellers should be able to to it locally (good reason to buy locally).


Disconnecting the unit and mailing it in should be a last resort.



I'm going to guess that Onkyo and Direct TV will point fingers at each other over the failure of the receiver to pass the 3D signals on to the tv properly. Apparently the 608 passes 3D from blu ray players just fine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316 /forum/post/18919233


Joe any time frame about a fix or how to apply the fix?

The last experimental one I just tried out worked fine. Please don't ask for it because I am not at liberty to give it. SHould be very soon. I will try and find out a release time Monday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/18920108


The last experimental one I just tried out worked fine. Please don't ask for it because I am not at liberty to give it. SHould be very soon. I will try and find out a release time Monday.

Thanks Joe keep us updated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/18934610


Yes and Rob I received your PM. ETA is still questionable even though I get it a pass.



I would look for it real soon.

Do you know how will it be applied, do we have to send it to an authorized dealer or can we do the firmware update ourselves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,326 Posts
I must of missed something..

The new Onkyo HDMI 1.4 AVRs have been certified by Silicon Image for HDMI/HDCP yet the Direct TV box has not..

And now it is up to Onkyo to fix an issue because Direct TV failed to pass the industry's HDMI/HDCP certification testing..



Just my $0.00..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/18934610


Yes and Rob I received your PM. ETA is still questionable even though I get it a pass.



I would look for it real soon.

While I know you probably can't be specific, would you say 'real soon' is within a week??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
I'm getting both an additional DirecTV DVR receiver and a refurbished 608 tomorrow (same day).


Good to know that my two newest toys for the gameroom won't work together.



What kind of problems am I going to have exactly?


Is it gonna completely not work at all?


Or is it just that I will have to change the VT25 3D setting to "side/side" when watching 3D channels (that's the only thing I've read about so far...)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPlusTwo /forum/post/18934842


I'm getting both an additional DirecTV DVR receiver and a refurbished 608 tomorrow (same day).


Good to know that my two newest toys for the gameroom won't work together.



What kind of problems am I going to have exactly?


Is it gonna completely not work at all?


Or is it just that I will have to change the VT25 3D setting to "side/side" when watching 3D channels (that's the only thing I've read about so far...)?

You have to set the 3D to manual from Auto on the Panny. You can bypass the Onkyo and go right to the TV and use optical from the DTV box to the Onkyo, but that defeats the purpose of the 608 and also you would not get Dolby HD or DTS HD using optical.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/18935030


Real soon in electronic talk is about two weeks.


You can apply it yourself. I can't say anymore beyond that.

Thanks Joe thats good enough for me. I think I will hold off on my Receiver purchase until the patch comes out and someone applies it to see if it fixes the issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316 /forum/post/18934934


You have to set the 3D to manual from Auto on the Panny. You can bypass the Onkyo and go right to the TV and use optical from the DTV box to the Onkyo, but that defeats the purpose of the 608 and also you would not get Dolby HD or DTS HD using optical.

Ditching optical (current PS3 setup) and having everything run through the receiver via HDMI is the reason I purchased a 608.



Oh well, if all I have to do is change the 3D setting then it's more of an inconvenience than a problem...
 
1 - 20 of 130 Posts
Top