AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a 36" CRT set to complement my existing setup and stand. The main requirements are:

Black color

39" wide or less

$2000 delivered or less

Good picture and flexibility for different formats is preferable. 75% of viewing will be 4:3 TV or VHS, 25% will be DVD 480p. 1080 HD phased in a year or two if either cable company ever delivers...

The Toshiba 36HFX72 is a great fit, but it and other top models all seem to be only available in silver...

Any alternatives appreciated!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone at all know of even one current, black 34-36" HD direct view set?

If not, how does the 36HFX72 compare with other 4:3 HDTVs?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Darren_C
Anyone at all know of even one current, black 34-36" HD direct view set?
Loewe (spelling?) may make black sets. Not sure what size.

Phil

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hard to find black sets these days, which is a pity.

I've got the 34HF81 and it looks great. I'd hope that similar Toshibas perform as well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sony KV36-XBR800. Is Black and Silver 4 inchs of black around the tube and then silver. My wife wanted a Black set as well,and it was the closest I could find that had the feature set I wanted.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found the Monivision website. It is a bit wider than my stand and seems to lack component inputs, but it's still a possibility depending on price. Anyone know which retailers sell this, or is it direct sales only? Any professional reviews on the 7752?

The 36XBR800 is also a bit wide, and is probably out of my price range. The 36HS500 is one I am considering, and appears to have a similar black/silver case.

Thanks again for the responses! Perhaps someone will decide to start making black cabinets again for 2003...

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If you are going to use component inputs only, then I don't recommend the Monivision since it was designed to work with HTPC (Home Theater PCs) with VGA output.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Philips used to make the 34PW9847 and 34PW9846. Both have a "piano black" case. There is a seller on ebay that sells refurbished ones. I purchased the 34PW9846 from them and really like it. But it is not a 36" 4:3, it is a 34" 16:9. Attached is a picture. Also important to note that these sets only have 1 HD input.

CJS

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah My Zenith had only 1 HD component in and 1 VGA (DSUB15) HD in.

The 2nd Component in was for 480i which was then upconverted to 480p or 1080i not sure but anyways it looked awful.

Luckily I had a HTPC ready and the 480p output was very nice even if my TV did have it's own issues.

I would definately make it a priority to anyone right now to have 2 HD component in and at least 1 DVI/HDCP in. If HDTV were like $500 who would care just buy another one with better connections every 2 years but at the prices they are selling for plan ahead unless your rich.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wouldn't mind a 16:9 set, but 34" is probably a bit small, since there will be considerable 4:3 content. I'd consider a 38" 16:9 set if it was under 2k also. A small RPTV is a possibility, but with kids I'm concerned that the screen may not be as durable. Plus, I prefer something that can be set on my A/V rack, rather than floor-standing. With a floor standing unit, I have no place to put my A/V components since there is no room remaining in back or to the side of the monitor.

The room can be made relatively dark, and the A/V area could accomodate up to about a 47" screen.

The Toshiba 36HFX72 does seem like the best option so far. It does lack a black case, and doesn't have a DVI input but did get a very nice review in Perfect Vision magazine. The Sony 36HS500 is a second choice. It's a bit wider than my rack but should still fit. The case is silver on black...

I have a few weeks before I will pull the trigger or decide to wait for next year's models...

Thanks again for the input!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Getting black is a definately cramp on your choices these days. I decided color could not be at the top of my list of wants and swallowed my lump of coal and got back into silver. Now I'm replacing my Silver Zenith Direct View 32" Flatron HDTV with a Silver JVC RPTV. I could not afford the 56" Black JVC so the Silver 48" was my only options for features/Picture/price. All My AV componets are black but luckily my living room decor is grey/blue.

yup were are back in the 80's with this resurgence of silver again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Sony KV-36XBR800 is $1968.90 which includes in-home delivery to west of the Mississippi (would be even less East of the Mississippi) at CrazyEddie.com. FYI

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I've been hearing really bad things about Crazy Eddie lately. Might want to think twice before ordering from them, or anywhere online for such an expensive purchase.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had the Toshiba 36"hfx72 for about a week now and am very pleased with the picture quality and ease of set up. I also read the recent review on it and that was one of the reasons I went with it. I purchased it at ABC Warehouse in MI for 1495.00 out the door. Ntsc via cable look fantastic on it, reviews were correct with internal line doubler being on of the industrys best right now. Sound is also great, although that was one of the weak points in the review. Everybody compliments on the picture and overall look of the tv. Any questions, let me know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.