AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was thinking about getting a tube set to watch DVDs only - I'd like 480p, but I don't foresee me getting a HD signal for years to come (I live in Canada where the HD channel line up is limited & expensive) - so I thought perhaps I can save some bucks and get a TV that has component ins and does 480p, but not a fullblown HDTV. 32" or above would be ideal....

All I can find are sets that do 480i - but no 480p.

Is there such a thing?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Loewe did a few (4:3 and 16:9) and may still have one.

Panasonic had at least one (4:3)

The scalers in these models are dated now - I'd be sure that anything I bought mated well with a progressive DVD signal.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys....

But with those options I'm not really saving much cash - I may as well buy a HD set - unless there's a 16X9 RPTV that does 480p, but costs less than a HD ready set...

Right now I'm leaning towards the 47" Panny (which is an HDTV).

·
Registered
211 Posts
So far, I don't think that manufacturers have sold enough of the "EDTV" (Enhanced Definition TV, 480p) sets to justify producing lines of them. I think they are getting a better markup deal by releasing HDTV sets, even if very few (if any) can actually produce the full HDTV resolution. Despite not having HDTV signals, you're going to be better off getting an HDTV. The added advantage would be that if you come into the cash - or just keep the TV quite a while (I still have televisions up to 10 years old in some parts of the house) - you'll be ready for technology like D-VHS or HD-DVD when they eventually break through. :)

-Aaron

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Babbster - my only concern with the current HDTV sets are the new imputs - I'd have to wait atleast a month or two to get the newer models with DVI.....or what about firewire?? Down the road will I need those newer imputs to take advantage of the extra resolution of newer formats?? (I guess component in's will still always work, but probably won't perform as well?)

....On the other hand, like all technology, you can wait forever, and ther'll always be something better on the way....

·
Registered
271 Posts
Correct on all counts. Actually, in the US, EDTV came and went twice. Proscan did a widescreen progressive set back in the early '90s - now you know how they came up with the name "Proscan". That was to be the beginning of it all.

The shame is, with today's better scaler chips and ongoing refinements in CRT manufacturing, set makers can now build a 480p-only set which handily outperforms today's HD-ready sets when playing 480p material. You would not believe the engineering corners that must be cut to do even a mediocre job of HD on a consumer-priced direct view CRT. Outside such HD-happy markets as the US, such 480p machines are available and I'd love to have one to recommend to my clients who are really into DVD on smaller screens.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Den
Correct on all counts. Actually, in the US, EDTV came and went twice. Proscan did a widescreen progressive set back in the early '90s - now you know how they came up with the name "Proscan". That was to be the beginning of it all.

The shame is, with today's better scaler chips and ongoing refinements in CRT manufacturing, set makers can now build a 480p-only set which handily outperforms today's HD-ready sets when playing 480p material. You would not believe the engineering corners that must be cut to do even a mediocre job of HD on a consumer-priced direct view CRT. Outside such HD-happy markets as the US, such 480p machines are available and I'd love to have one to recommend to my clients who are really into DVD on smaller screens.
I still *have* a ProScan CinemaScreen! It is a wonderful TV! I thought the name ProScan predated that, though...

Does anyone know if any support was ever available for using its data port for high-resolution inputs (like component)?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.