AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any interlaced (non-progressive) DVD player that does not have the chroma bug? Does it have a sharp, good quality picture?

Thanks!

·
Registered
499 Posts
For non-progressive I would recommend the Pansonic DVD-RV32K($109.88 @ www.jandr.com )or JVC XV-S300($99.88 @ www.jandr.com ). Both of these players have a good picture and have decent features and feature MP3 playback. The Panasonic also plays WMA which isn't as compatible all around as the MP3 format. The JVCs have superior zooming and scaling if that is what your after.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesent the JVC have the chroma bug? I like the looks of Toshiba, but am worried about the bug on the big screen i hope to have soon... think i will splurge on the CP72 and get an unexpected change(r).

·
Registered
499 Posts
Neither the JVC DVD players or the Panasonic DVD players have the chroma bug. If I were you I would skip all the entry level non progressive DVD players and get the CP72. That way for $90 more after mail in rebate you can get the superior progressive scan/interlaced picture via Sage/Faroudja FLI2200 deinterlacer and Panasonics wonderful mpeg decoder, DVD Audio, 5 disc changer, and of course random mp3 and wma playback via optical out. That way you will be all ready to go for your new widescreen HDTV! Tell me what you decide and since I know you will splurge and get the CP72, please tell me what you think of it. :) You can get the CP72K( Beautiful Black with mirrored finish) or CP72S(Ugly Silver) for around $230 shipped from www.jandr.com or www.onecall.com - $30 mail in rebate = $200. Both of those place are authorized online etailers for Pansonic therefore you will for sure receive the $30 mail in rebate.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The JVC interlaced players have the chroma bug. Only their progressive players use the chroma-bug-free Mediamatics/National Semiconductor decoder. The interlaced players use a C-Cube decoder that has the bug.

Don

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great info, thanks guys! Good to hear about the decoding in JVC's progressive players. But the JVC's dont have DCDi, do they? So I did the logical thing and ordered the CP72. The 5-disk changer helps justify its additional cost, thats for sure. And my future PJ does JPG through memory stick so i can live without that 2. Sharp's progressives with dcdi also looked interesting but hard to find info on and prolly cheasier... and bet the sharps have chroma bug too (tho dcdi helps hide it).

Thanks again for all the help with spending my few $'s wisely!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Am I missing something? I was under the impression that the chroma bug was a result of incorrect deinterlacing, and therefore is only present on progressive players which don't deinterlace properly. It doesn't exist on interlaced players!?

Am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
It's a problem with the MPEG decoding, not the deinterlacing. So yes, it is a problem for interlaced players. The reason people didn't notice it more on interlaced players is that interlaced displays have all kinds of inherent artifacts that make the chroma bug less noticeable. Kind of like if you drop a rock on your foot you forget all about your headache. :)

In addition, large high-resolution displays with good deinterlacing became more popular about the same time as progressive players, and the higher the display's resolution, and the larger the image, the easier to see the chroma bug.

Don

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Ignorance is bliss I don't see any bugs,

dot crawl, EE, pixelization, red push and all the other things you see but I don't.

Your doing your autopsy of everything which makes you miserable, and cranky because it isn't perfect. I see so many threads on this subject, it's a wonder you don't put all your toys out of their misery; for not being perfect like you want them to be.

All I see is a beautiful wide screen movie

and that's all I want to know, after listening to your people since July of 2001. It's still not perfect and you keep whining about it and wasting a lot of bandwith. Are you all going to do this when Blue lasered HD-DVD comes along? I'll bet you will find new things to make you upset all over again forever and ever. For me I will continue be be blissfully ignorant. :)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
We get your point hob, but this is a technical area on an enthusiasts forum. If everything was perfect, that would be no fun, what would we talk about? We'd never have to upgrade with new better gear, and then ***** about it, and then upgrade, and then...

I think most people are probably at least largely happy with their setups, but when they want to improve it, just want to get the best they can for their $$$. So we have to hash out here what that best for the $$$ is.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Actually, hob, I'm really happy with my setup. No chroma bug, great deinterlacing, no real problems to speak of. While I'm sharply critical of problems in lots of DVD players, it is possible to get really solid performance at a good price, and that's what we're all about.

Stacey and I both got into this because we're movie fans, first and foremost, and the artifacts we were seeing were distracting us from the movies.

You can enjoy music on a $5 AM radio, but wouldn't you say it's better on a decent stereo system? :)

Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.