Banned
7,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdahlberg /forum/post/14303386

the 8300 is about 100 better than the 8200
sorry, haven't heard anything either.

lol

I do know it has the ability to use multiple discreet graphics cards in SLI, as well as having a better controller for such a purpose.

But since HTPCs do not need this, and both 8200 and 8300 support hybrid graphics, I do wonder what gains the 8300 would provide.

I am going to email nVidia and ask.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
the 8300 has a faster IGP, many people have reported (or experinced first hand in mycase) issues with BD playback on the 8200, then overclocked their 8200 to see the issue go away.

The 8200 is dangerously close to being minimally powerful enough to do BD playback, the 8300 has a little headroom.

But that is the ONLY difference, it's a simple clockspeed thing.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I decided to skip 8200/8300 altogether, though I'm a big fan of Nvidia GPU for especially MPEG2 decoding due to Purevideo HA. Wait for one of the next-gen boards that have powerful enough IGP's.

An nvidia 8400GS is basically the minimum requirement for smooth BD playback (since it supports Purevideo generation 2) and the IGP in the 8200/8300 mobo's are below the 8400GS.

If the fix in that case is just adding a discrete video card and going HybridSLI, then for the pricepoint you're better off waiting a few more weeks for a more powerful IGP on a new board coming out.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an 8200 and have no problem with BR or HD-DVD playback. I am just curious if the 8300 provides any useful benefits.

I emailed nVidia, here is their reply:

Thank you for contacting NVIDIA Customer Care.

This is xxxx I will be assisting you with your query.

I understand from your email that you would like to know the differences in the features of the GeForce 8200 and the GeForce 8300 graphics cards to custom build a Home Theatre PC.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused, but please note that we would need some time to research for this. Hence please bear with us for a suitable reply.

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

I will post the results when I receive them.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory /forum/post/14304017

If the fix in that case is just adding a discrete video card and going HybridSLI, then for the pricepoint you're better off waiting a few more weeks for a more powerful IGP on a new board coming out.

Which chipsets, and which specific boards do you have high hopes for?

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reply from nVidia:

The GeForce 8300 has slightly higher clock speeds compared to that of GeForce 8200 and is usually built on a larger full featured desktop motherboards. The higher clock speeds are good for gaming and GeForce 8300 is good for the new high end games. The GeForce 8200 is built on mATX motherboards which are best suited for HTPC.

I would suggest you GeForce 8200 for HTPC.

Please feel free to contact us for any further information.

Regards,

That about sums it up. Unless you are gaming, the 8300 adds nothing.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory /forum/post/14304017

An nvidia 8400GS is basically the minimum requirement for smooth BD playback (since it supports Purevideo generation 2) and the IGP in the 8200/8300 mobo's are below the 8400GS.

I am not sure what kind of power you are talking about, but basically these GPU are identical. All of 8400 GS, 8200/8300, 9300/9400 include:

- The same hardware HD video decoder PureVideo HD Gen3 that has enough power for decoding all three formats MPEG-2, VC-1 and H.264, except 8400 GS (G86) which uses the older PureVideo Gen2 (no VC-1 HA)!

- 16 stream processors of the same architecture

The only difference between a discrete card and IGP is local frame buffer vs. shared memory frame buffer. (Yup, memory is the most difficult part in the AMD platform.) These GPUs are all weak in deinterlacing (as well as 3D performance) because of scanty stream processors.

- 8400 GS (G86): PureVideo HD Gen2, 16 sp, Core/Shader 459/918 (The majority of retail 8400 GS cards are still G86!)

- 8400 GS (G98): PureVideo HD Gen3, 16 sp, Core/Shader 567/1400

- GeForce 8200: PureVideo HD Gen3, 16 sp, Core/Shader 500/1200

- GeForce 8300: PureVideo HD Gen3, 16 sp, Core/Shader 500/1500

- GeForce 9300: PureVideo HD Gen3, 16 sp, Core/Shader 450/1200

- GeForce 9400: PureVideo HD Gen3, 16 sp, Core/Shader 580/1500

Summary

GeForce 8200/8300 is powerful enough to playback BD movies!!

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Reply from nVidia:

The GeForce 8300 has slightly higher clock speeds compared to that of GeForce 8200 and is usually built on a larger full featured desktop motherboards. The higher clock speeds are good for gaming and GeForce 8300 is good for the new high end games. The GeForce 8200 is built on mATX motherboards which are best suited for HTPC.

I would suggest you GeForce 8200 for HTPC.

Please feel free to contact us for any further information.

Regards,

I am glad to hear the final confirmation of the well-known fact.

I know several people will continue to spread wrong information like, "GeForce 8200 is suitable for office machine but not good for HTPC. Choose GeForce 8300 for HTPC instead".

·
Registered
658 Posts

QUOTE]

This is a blatantly false statement. On the 2 8200 systems I have built the BD playback is smooth, with NO issues. Others here have had the same results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I was juz goin thro nvidia motherboards specs in nvidia site.. wat i found til motherboard GeForce 8300 is dat juz til AMD Phenom processors r supported.. not Phenom II (as mentioned in spec).. any clarification dis is appreciated.. thnx..

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivji /forum/post/16008013

Hi all,

I was juz goin thro nvidia motherboards specs in nvidia site.. wat i found til motherboard GeForce 8300 is dat juz til AMD Phenom processors r supported.. not Phenom II (as mentioned in spec).. any clarification dis is appreciated.. thnx..

I am running an ASUS M3N78 PRO motherboard with a Phenom II 940 with zero issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts