AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering whether there had ever been 'official' comment from a Replay guy about a screensaver mode for the Showstoppers and Replays.

As I've mentioned before, it would seem that the currnet hardward/software could do this with very little or no modification.

Like how about a BLACK SLIDE instead of the Replay4000 ad? Or just rotating ads for anything...

Replay guys! WHY NOT??

R

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Well, all I know is that the 4000 series machines will have screen savers. The following is from the replaytv.com website...

Quote:
Built-in screen saver to protect your projection TVs from screen burn-in.
So I am curious if that is something that could be retrofitted into our older machines or not.

And if they wouldn't do that for us because they need great features like this to tempt us into buying the new models.

Hmmmm.

~Markito

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by rock_doctor
"We have no announced plans for a software update to the current installed base. We'll probably make some changes to the installed base over time (bug fixes and stuff), but I wouldn't expect any huge new features."

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=36802
yeah but we're not talking about a 'software update' here, everyone who now sees ads for Replay4000s knows it.

If they can tinker with that, they can give us a black slide, or a series of slides...

R

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Interesting question:

Would current 30X0 and 20X0 users accepts pause ads if they came along with a screensaver?

I'll hold off on the poll for now :)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Our humble moderator passed on the screen saver/pause ads poll. (for now)

I'm not so bashful.

I want one.

What about the rest of you?

Rank these "features" according to desirability:

1. User-selectable time to "kick in"

2. User-selectable "on" or "off"

3. Rotate random, useless messages or pictures (non-ad)

4. Rotate advertisements

5. Go to black screen (thanks, riffraf)

6. User-selectable content (black screen or rotating pictures/ads)

My personal vote is for #6 with #1. I don't care whether the pictures are ads or random junk, but I know many here are just a bit too sensitive about having ads "forced down their throats." (I think they should reconsider using the ads as a revenue stream, but that's another dead horse.....)

Since so many participants have commented elsewhere that SonicBlue "owes pre-4000 owners nothing," I'll ask another ad question:

If SonicBlue started charging for dial-up access, would you then accept ads in exchange for a reduced dial-up rate?

(Yes, I know it's a stupid question, but since SonicBlue supposedly "owes us nothing" wouldn't that "nothing" include the lifetime service we bought from Replay, as well?)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sixt7gt350
Our humble moderator passed on the screen saver/pause ads poll. (for now)

If SonicBlue started charging for dial-up access, ...
I'd start a class action suit against them faster than you could say TIVO!

When you buy a business, you take over their assets and their liabilities. I may be wrong, but I believe that Panasonic and ReplayTV offered a lifetime subscription which I accepted when I delivered consideration in the form of a purchase.

When SonicBlue acquired their "right" to aggregate my data and shove ads down my throat, etc. they also assumed the obligation to deliver the subscription information for the lifetime of the product.

Again, I could be wrong, but I believe that it would take more than reorganizational bankruptcy to void that obligation...

OH, by the way - I'd take any screensaver even if what was loaded with ads.

R

·
Registered
416 Posts
Replay also indicated that the basic service would be free. They left open the door to charge for 'enhanced services,' although I haven't really seen much that I would consider enhanced.

What if the pause screens could be used to display information you did want to see, that you selected, like a local weather report (good for satellite people that don't get a 'local' weather channel update), or some other news or information service?

I doubt the pre-4K models could handle such a thing. But I'd use a feature like that if it was available. I don't think I would pay any extra for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.