AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried calibrating my old Xbox for my Panny 50PH10UKA plasma using DVE, but the settings I get are horribly, horribly off compared to the actual output from video games. As an FYI it is connected via Monster component cables so I am outputting 480p on most games.

For example, using the Xbox as a DVD player, playing DVE, and setting brightness with a pluge pattern, I end up at like -11 or -12 which results in a terribly dark picture on games that is obviously crushing blacks. If I set it by eye while playing a game it looks much better at -1 or -2.

I suspect there is something funky going on with video/pc levels and the archaic xbox's (in)abilities as a DVD player.

So, did any old xbox games come with calibration test patterns, in the same way that THX DVD's come with a calibration screen? That would be awesome, as it appears using a DVD-based calibration disc doesn't really work for calibrating games.

Stab in the dark, just though I'd throw it out there... thanks!

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The problem you face is that game developers seldom follow any standards so what works for one game can be completely wrong for another.

Many games still give you controls to muck with the image anyway.

So thinking that there is one special set of patterns that is a fit for all games is a huge mistake.

Regards

·
Registered
30,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldn't be the first time I made a huge mistake!
I would hope at least that black would be black and white would be white (i.e. correct video levels), but I see what you're saying.

Thanks for the thoughts....

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Hence, the need for image quality assurance programs such as THX Games Certification. THX, Ltd. provides consulting services, structured methodology and expert oversight to game studios who have a desire to improve quality control for the picture and sound performance of their products. Such disciplines as adhering to industry standards and practices, plus monitoring program mastering and duplication, help studios raise the bar. Many software designers and digital graphic artists lack basic understanding of the importance of monitor calibration, proper video and audio signal levels, production environment conditions, etc. The electronic interactive game industry is way behind the broadcast and film/video program production industry when it comes to these kinds of issues.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
From my experience with my 360, I have my TV calibrated and all of my games look just fine calibrated to HDTV standards. As a matter of fact, they look great. I have also calibrated all of my friends TVs too and they all have 360s and all love the way it looks after calibration. I would have it calibrated to standards and use those calibration settings on your 360. One thing I've noticed, though, is you might need to adjust contrast and/or brightness on the input with the 360. If you have DVE you can use that, but grays and colors are good once calibrated on your other sources compared with your 360.

·
Registered
30,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
I would have it calibrated to standards and use those calibration settings on your 360.

I don't have a 360, read more carefully!
And I have calibrated that input, the problem is the settings are off when I play xbox games.

Quote:
One thing I've noticed, though, is you might need to adjust contrast and/or brightness on the input with the 360.

Again, if you read carefully, you'll see that I noted that's that problem! The brightness/contrast settings are way off vs. the calibrated settings, which is the whole point of the thread. Colors/grayscale seems fine to me.... but right now I have to set brightness/contrast by eyeballing it.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Ok, my bad. I don't use my xbox (or xbox 360) as a dvd player. I do know that on my 360 the dvd playback (since I used DVE in it to make sure) is the same as game playback. I don't know about the original xbox, though, I haven't had that on my main system since I bought the 360. If I remember correctly, though, I think I did have issues with brightness levels on my original xbox in that games did appear darker compared to my DVR for example. Unfortunately, you'll probably be forced to adjust the brightness when you play games and when you play a DVD. I wish there was a way to control that inside the xbox console itself, but there isn't (not even on the 360).

·
Registered
30,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh well, thanks for the thoughts! I already have a different picture preset for the xbox when I play it, but the problem is that I can't find reliable test patterns to set brightness/contrast, so like I said I'm just eyeballing it... no huge deal, just thought there might be something out there like the THX DVD patterns.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/14318688

oh well, thanks for the thoughts! I already have a different picture preset for the xbox when I play it, but the problem is that I can't find reliable test patterns to set brightness/contrast, so like I said I'm just eyeballing it... no huge deal, just thought there might be something out there like the THX DVD patterns.

I have the 360 and not the original xbox. I calibrated my xbox was using my oppo 970 dvd player that upconverts to 1080i and used those settings for my 360, but playing Halo 3 it seems a little to dark.

I dont know if NBA live can be played on the original xbox. Maybe you can try a search here and see if they have any older games that have test patterns:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...prune=60&f=141

I searched and found that NBA live and a few others games for the 360 have test patterns but I have not used any. Maybe this is what I should be doing instead.

I calibrated my TV with the Eye-One and HCFR software and watching moviese looks great
. I did both 480p and 1080i with oppo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 /forum/post/14318635

I do know that on my 360 the dvd playback (since I used DVE in it to make sure) is the same as game playback.

Are you sure? From my understanding the 360 outputs the dvd at 480p and not 1080i.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/14318688

Yeah, I don't think I recall a game ever having any kind of test pattern in it. You did the best you could using DVE to set it up on the DVD side. Games just tend to be darker on the original XBOX for some reason. Not sure why that is. Time for a 360. ;-)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfreak /forum/post/14319022

Are you sure? From my understanding the 360 outputs the dvd at 480p and not 1080i.

I just meant picture quality. Brightness, contrast, color, grays. Not the upscaling piece. However, I did just put in a DVD and it did upscale the pic for me. I currently have my 360 output at 720p and it plays the movie at 720p. I do have an Elite, so not sure if that's the difference or not.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholc2 /forum/post/14321227

I just meant picture quality. Brightness, contrast, color, grays. Not the upscaling piece. However, I did just put in a DVD and it did upscale the pic for me. I currently have my 360 output at 720p and it plays the movie at 720p. I do have an Elite, so not sure if that's the difference or not.

I have the Standard Xbox 360 w/20 GB harddrive concole.

So your DVD's get upscaled, mine dont.
When I used the DVE I check my TV's display and it was a 480p, games are at 1080i though. I am also using component HD cables. Maybe that also makes a difference. I dont have HDMI on my TV nor the VGA input.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
That's probably it. I am using HDMI, so it probably requires that for upscaling. But to be honest, there's a reason I don't use the 360 for DVD playback. It doesn't do a very good job. Even upscaled, the picture is grainy on my TV. No comparison with the PS3 or HDDVD player for reg DVD playback.

·
Registered
30,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you can't upscale over component. I do believe the older 360's will upscale over VGA, but you don't have a VGA input on your tv.

anyway, from everything people say it's a cruddy dvd player anyway.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I dont use it to watch DVD's, only play games with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
haha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts