AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looked a little fishy before this message now I'm realling having doubts. Whatever I recieve if at all is getting scanned for records. Last response on RPTV sale

Hi Eric,how was your day ?I want you to understand that the deal is on and my secretary as posted the payment promptly, but there was a little problem which i guess we can handle with care while i contacted her to confirm if the payment as been mail out i was made to understand that its actually as been sent and but instead of the actually amount $325 for the Samsung HCL4715W 47" HDTV,she made out the check for $2500 she claim that was what i requested but she didn't get that straight. The payment was already posted before i was inform about this but i wouldn't want this to delay the sale as i have rectify this with my Bank and all you do once you have the payment is to take it to you Bank and have it cashed and you will then deduct the money for you good plus a 100 dollars for all the trouble i have put you thought during the course of this transaction as well as for your running around.The excess fund on the payment will then be wired to my mover via western union that same days so that he can come for pick up as i already plan on using the excess on the payment to offset the cost of the various shipments he as undertaken on my behalf.Do let me know if i can trust you to have the excess sent to my mover thank you,best Regards.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If I were you I'd run for the hills. Sounds a bit like the "cash these checks and keep 10% for your trouble" scam. When the checks turn out to be bogus you are responsible for the entire amount.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewitte /forum/post/13011585

It looked a little fishy before this message now I'm realling having doubts. Whatever I recieve if at all is getting scanned for records. Last response on RPTV sale

Hi Eric,how was your day ?I want you to understand that the deal is on and my secretary as posted the payment promptly, but there was a little problem which i guess we can handle with care while i contacted her to confirm if the payment as been mail out i was made to understand that its actually as been sent and but instead of the actually amount $325 for the Samsung HCL4715W 47" HDTV,she made out the check for $2500 she claim that was what i requested but she didn't get that straight. The payment was already posted before i was inform about this but i wouldn't want this to delay the sale as i have rectify this with my Bank and all you do once you have the payment is to take it to you Bank and have it cashed and you will then deduct the money for you good plus a 100 dollars for all the trouble i have put you thought during the course of this transaction as well as for your running around.The excess fund on the payment will then be wired to my mover via western union that same days so that he can come for pick up as i already plan on using the excess on the payment to offset the cost of the various shipments he as undertaken on my behalf.Do let me know if i can trust you to have the excess sent to my mover thank you,best Regards.

You're kidding right? This looks like the AVSForum version of that Nigerian money scam from years back. Interesting how instead of "millions of $" the bait is a 47" HDTV. Two words of advice: run away.

·
Registered
910 Posts
LOL, what's even sadder is that people actually do fall for crap like that. My question is how do you ship a TV if you threw away the original packaging?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First our agreement was money order. Second I responded to this saying I was going to scan it for my records and wait for it to clear before anything happens on my side. I'm thinking just mail it back after making a copy for my records...

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Or maybe turn it over to the police. They probably won't catch the guy right away but it might help a bigger investigation. These creeps don't work alone and don't just pull one caper.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is a scam for sure. This happens all the time. The scammers check out the classified/online ads and it does not even matter what is for sale. They forge large money orders on a computer (lately a lot have been Walmart money orders) and then ask the seller to cash them and keep some for their trouble and send the rest to a third party. Since the checks are forged, they do not care if most people do not fall for it, because they lose nothing. If you cash the check, once the bank figures out it is forged, they will deduct the amount out of your checking/savings account, and you are stuck for the whole amount. The police have a hard time following up on this because the scammer is always in another State from the victim, and the money is usually sent to a "drop address" in some third State. I am an Officer in a fairly large Police Department, and this goes on all the time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yep, that is DEFINITELY the scam. You'll cash the bad check, the douchebag gets some money, then your bank comes after you.

You would have to be smoking some serious crack to fall for that one....

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propaganda13 /forum/post/13014428

Definitely a scam.

Google craigslist and scam. First link will give you examples and who to contact. (Sorry can't post links yet)

Are you able to PM me the links? I'll turn the check over to the police/whoever and if its real the buyer can deal with getting it back. I was pretty sure this was a scam even off the first message but was looking on ways of dealing with it.

Edit: NVM craigslist has some ftc links.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Due to the fact you have to ask,

GO TO THE BACK OF YOUR COMPUTER-THEN DISCONNECT YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION-DO NOT RECONNECT IT-EVER!!!!

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2004/12/checkoverpayment.shtm

Also, if you receive an email from some foreign person claiming to have 35 million dollars, who need to to have it transfered to you, & in exchange you will get to keep 6 million of it-THIS IS ALSO A SCAM

it is known as a Nigerian 419 scam

http://www.419eater.com/

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan420 /forum/post/13016124

Due to the fact you have to ask,...

GO TO THE BACK OF YOUR COMPUTER-THEN DISCONNECT YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION-DO NOT RECONNECT IT-EVER!!!!...

Wise people ask when they don't know or are not sure - that's how we learn in life. Phoney know-it-alls grind others down to fell better about themselves.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegow /forum/post/13017470

Wise people ask when they don't know or are not sure - that's how we learn in life. Phoney know-it-alls grind others down to fell better about themselves.

I'm actually playing along now until I get the account information so I have something to report

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegow /forum/post/13017470

I did post the relevant links that answered his question,

sorry if everyone missed the sarcasm

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
response after i got the check

Hi Kelly,how was your day ?I want you to understand that while sorting mail my secretary accidentally spilled something on the check and it was destroyed. As it was a check and not money order as discussed this should not be an issue as the funds were never taken from your account. If your still interested in the deal I'd like to close this ASAP so I could sell to my next buyer or accept the western union transfer from your side. I hope this does not cause a problem. For all your trouble you can keep the extra $100 you had offered me.

Eric

1 - 20 of 20 Posts