AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The prices seem very good . By looking at the pictures they look like good quality drivers and sexy too (High roll
). II wonder if they would be good for HT.

They have the specs in their website.

*Sorry for misspelling...

http://obsidiancaraudio.com

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yeah, their drivers do look pretty nice.

You should check out this thread, HERE by Saabracer23, he's built a sub using the 18'' driver from Obsidian.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW! They sure look nice!

·
Registered
555 Posts
For the money it can't be beat! It truly is an incredible driver. I really wish I could get some distortion measurements on this thing, it's sounding better and better the more I use it. It reaches the depths with so much ease.

If you want to jump on one now is the time. I'll post it here but I'll also start a new thread as well. I've been talking with Nick via email and he wanted to offer up a group buy. They're on pre order right now for $169 plus shipping. If there are 25 drivers sold between AVS and HT shack the price drops to $159, if 50 are sold then the price drops to $149. He would just issue partial refund after payment once the numbers are reached. When purchasing itll ask how you heard of them, make sure to put AVS or ht shack. Quite excellent I think!

Dan

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool! I will probably be buying two of them.

I have the Dayton HF 15" and I honestly dont get very much bass out of it. Not to mention it bottoms out all the time

Do you know whats the difference between the 18 d2 and 18 d4?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd be in for four of their 18's if there was a group buy.

Now the question is, which version to buy, D4 or D2???

·
Registered
555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast  /t/1415588/any-one-her-of-obsadian-car-audio#post_22131009

Dont these require huge sealed cabinets? something to think about for potential buyers.

They do, but it looked good in a 6 cu ft cab on winisd and in room it sounds good. My other option was the Dayton rss390hf and honestly for a 15 that requires a huge cabinet as well, especially if you wanna go ported.

Dan

·
Registered
45 Posts
What do you guys think the cabinet sizing would be for the 18" vented?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I may be interested as well for my first build. What size enclosure sealed would these need? What type off amplification necessary? Anyone model them?

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
by the specs, they are an infinite baffle subwoofer.

6 cubic feet would be on the small side for the driver, as that gives a q of 0.96, which is pretty high.

ported would require an enourmous cabinet. if you have a spare closet and can port it, that would work.

a triple stack of magnets would really help this driver. it needs more B.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02  /t/1415588/any-one-her-of-obsadian-car-audio#post_22132014

by the specs, they are an infinite baffle subwoofer.

6 cubic feet would be on the small side for the driver, as that gives a q of 0.96, which is pretty high.

ported would require an enourmous cabinet. if you have a spare closet and can port it, that would work.

thanks ltd, looks like a different driver would do better for Me. I like the idea of an 18 though, just because.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02  /t/1415588/any-one-her-of-obsadian-car-audio#post_22132014

Adding an additional slug does very little to the B. Diameter is what gives you a stronger motor.

Dan Wiggins discussed this years ago at HTF when talking about the Tumult vs. the Brahma subs. Both had similar motor strength but the Brahma had 4 or 5 slugs of ferrite while the Tumult had 2 (I think). He said that car audio buyers associated the larger motor (more slugs) with a better sub when in fact, that wasn't the case.

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
that can't be right or there would be no reason to ever use more than one slug.

of course using a larger coil puts more "L" in the BL, so that is another way to make a stronger motor. perhaps that is what he was talking about, a different way to accomplish the same thing. i just figured that it would be easier to add an additional slug than to completely re-engineer the whole driver.

·
Registered
204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian  /t/1415588/any-one-her-of-obsadian-car-audio/0_50#post_22131023

Yeah, they do. That can be remedied with some smart signal shaping and power but... yep, these guys like big enclosures.

They are an okay candidate for a proper LLT if one is so inclined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02  /t/1415588/any-one-her-of-obsadian-car-audio/0_50#post_22132014

... if you have a spare closet and can port it, that would work...

This is exactly what I want to do with two of these suckers. Do we think 71.5 cubic feet would be large enough for a two-driver LLT?

Hopefully it is, I've got the DIY itch again, and finals just ended...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts