AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I read about the Seaton Sound and JTR speakers utilizing a coaxial Midrange tweeter in a configuration with two woofers the more I wish I could try them out at a DIY price.

I see the Eminence coaxials in the Parts Express catalog and have been wondering if any one with enough knowledge has actually designed and tested one?

·
Registered
538 Posts
i am with you these things are way over priced . and the side ports are horrible . i have been looking on some of the other forums and they have never herd of them . i want to build my own speakers soon like i did my subs . i really want something that sound great and can rock out as loud and effortlessly as possible . i have dynaudio now . great speaker but over priced .

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve morgan /forum/post/15450793

i am with you these things are way over priced .

Over priced??? Have you even priced out the cost of the B&C drivers used in the triple 8? On top of that you have to add the cost of the xover, box and labor. I think these are a fantastic deal for the price. You could not build build a pair for less than what they are going for if you include labor and design costs.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have built a similar configuration using Dayton reference 10" and Seas 1333.

They sound fantastic, I would reuse the Dayton in a heartbeat. The Seas tweeter is limited in output - would use something else next time, perhaps B&C - perhaps can fit in same enclosure.

I use a passive xover (factory design) for the Seas and then actively cross over to the Daytons. I use a Crown XTI-1000 for each speaker (L,C and R).

Price -

Seas+xover $180.

Daytons 2x$80=$160.

Enclosure - DIY, maybe $100 including stuffing, misc parts, paint, MDF, fasteners, etc.

Total=$440 plus value of external crossover.

Thus, the 888 would seem a bargain. Especially if the tweeter mid combo is better quality.

db

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbarron /forum/post/15451610

I have built a similar configuration using Dayton reference 10" and Seas 1333.

They sound fantastic, I would reuse the Dayton in a heartbeat. The Seas tweeter is limited in output - would use something else next time, perhaps B&C - perhaps can fit in same enclosure.

I use a passive xover (factory design) for the Seas and then actively cross over to the Daytons. I use a Crown XTI-1000 for each speaker (L,C and R).

Price -

Seas+xover $180.

Daytons 2x$80=$160.

Enclosure - DIY, maybe $100 including stuffing, misc parts, paint, MDF, fasteners, etc.

Thus, the 888 would seem a bargain. Especially if the tweeter mid combo is better quality.

db

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:

Thus, the 888 would seem a bargain.

Looked at the 2009 prices yet? Jeff didn't get the memo that we are in a recession.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/15451704

Looked at the 2009 prices yet? Jeff didn't get the memo that we are in a recession.

has your cell phone bill been reduced? I also don't see and of the sub woofer manufactures reducing there prices.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts

Quote:

i am with you these things are way over priced . and the side ports are horrible . i have been looking on some of the other forums and they have never herd of them . i want to build my own speakers soon like i did my subs . i really want something that sound great and can rock out as loud and effortlessly as possible . i have dynaudio now . great speaker but over priced .

You have to remember that these loudspeakers were not origionally intended for home applications. They are designed for live music in MUCH larger rooms than your living room.

They are not loaded with cheap "hi-fi" type components-but rather pro type units and as such will get MUCH louder than any home use.

Sure you can build something that "looks" the same-but will have the same quality sound and output?

You have to compare apples to apples.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:

db

Wait, how is nearly 3x the price of DIY a bargain?

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic1! /forum/post/15451814

has your cell phone bill been reduced? I also don't see and of the sub woofer manufactures reducing there prices.

Perhaps the 35% increase will be soon paired with a 20% off discount and we will all feel better about getting a great deal.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
"imitation is the biggest form of flattery". I'm happy to see that the design has inspired.

Quote:

the side ports are horrible

However functional. Port compression is a big problem that many don't address or even recognize. The large slot ports was to only way to maximize the port area while keeping them on the front.

Quote:

FYI for the DYI~ $100 doesn't cover the CNC time. $100 doesn't cover grills, hardware and crossover. $100 doesn't cover the Baltic Birch. $100 doesn't cover the finish.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jeff I may have to come out of retirement and get a job so that I can include some triple 12's in my HT2.0.

Don't you need any work done around your house?

I am planing on changing my cardboard sign from will work for food, to will work for room, board and speakers!

·
Registered
989 Posts
AT $500 for just materials cost, actual selling price would be much, much higher. As others have said, this does not include labor or machine time and other business costs, not to mention a reasonable profit.

·
Registered
609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbarron /forum/post/15453974

AT $500 for just materials cost, actual selling price would be much, much higher. As others have said, this does not include labor or machine time and other business costs, not to mention a reasonable profit.

Yep plus great support

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I didnt mean to imply they are overpriced. I've heard nothing but good things about JTRs, they're just too much speaker for my needs.

I'm just saying I would love to see DIY design with an 8" B&C coaxial and a long throw single 8" or 10" woofer.

·
Registered
559 Posts

Quote:

they cost a fair bit . but they are not way over priced considering the performance to price ratio . they big, built like a tank, fugly and are capable to producing true to life sound . in ht terms, will have dynamics capable of giving you the "you are there" feel . dont bash and hear them out when you get a chance .

·
Registered
538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic1! /forum/post/15451274

Over priced??? Have you even priced out the cost of the B&C drivers used in the triple 8? On top of that you have to add the cost of the xover, box and labor. I think these are a fantastic deal for the price. You could not build build a pair for less than what they are going for if you include labor and design costs.

first off this was not a pissing contest no one is arguing what operating cost profit and all that . seriously duh. hints the DIY . free labor etc . only on avs does this happen everytime .

jeff have you ever thought of selling kits ?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts