AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to place my projector out side of my room for more throw distance. I had planned on building it into a box on the outside of the room. Then I came across this company Home Theater Glass . I was wondering if any one had used them? With this I could place the projector out side of the room and not have to build a box around it to keep the sound inside the room. I'll be using a JVC RS620 and might be upgrading to a NX7. Want to make sure this will not cause any loss in quality. Thanks for any feed back any one can provide.

·
Registered
30,729 Posts
I'm looking to place my projector out side of my room for more throw distance. I had planned on building it into a box on the outside of the room. Then I came across this company Home Theater Glass . I was wondering if any one had used them? With this I could place the projector out side of the room and not have to build a box around it to keep the sound inside the room. I'll be using a JVC RS620 and might be upgrading to a NX7. Want to make sure this will not cause any loss in quality. Thanks for any feed back any one can provide.
If it is what they advertise, it would work very well. Looks like a good option to me.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
My NX9 is in a different room to my HT. I always just used plate glass but changed it to optical glass about 2 years ago. Its also on a 35 deg tilt back to the proj at the top and removes easily for cleaning. My HT room is completely silent, see iamage centre top.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Yes I have some OptiClear glass from them and it works great. I chose it over the Edmunds glass for my hush box because it was thicker and easy to order.

As far as quality loss, this is subjective. Someone on the forum here was pretty adamant about using only glass that would be used in pro cameras. The OptiClear is good enough for me and noticeably better than plain glass.

hometheatreglass.com on the right and regular tempered on the left, notice the lack of reflection with the green bag:

Tempered on top:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I am thinking if I can use such a glass as part of the top of a cabinet which will house an UST Laser Projector.

Does the glass get hot when the projector is used? Also, is this strong enough or could it break or scratch easily (e.g. if somebody places something on the cabinet)

I wonder if such glass will affect the quality of a UST projector more, because the light is coming in a such a wide angle (and therefore need to pass from more of the glass)

·
Registered
620 Posts
I found this company looking for port glass last week, the glass specs look good for the job.

I love the design of the port windows but I was a bit surprised by the scale, I guess they are right for multiple projectors and where the projectionist needs to see through too. It would be good to have a home cinema scale version too I'd be looking for ~6"x5". Does anyone know a company that makes this sort of size projector ports?

Most likely I will be making something myself, fortunately a good friend just bought a very large 3D printer.

I just moved our JVC X7000 out of the room into a hallway behind, the port is extremely minimalist, a 165mm diameter (we had the drill already from a kitchen extractor installation) hole painted and lined with telescope liner sticky backed black plastic. I was going to line it with a 150mm pipe but the hole was very neat so i just painted it to seal the brickwork. The projector is on a shelf right up against the hole with some black foam draught excluder strips to seal the hole, any stray light and a lot of the sound.

It's reduced the noise a lot (I haven't measured the noise floor yet), I would say that high lamp is now much quieter in the room than low lamp was before. I could hear and understand every mumble in Tenet on the first viewing if that's a guide ;-)

I'd like something neat to tidy up the look of the hole and haven't found anything in the drain and ducting suppliers yet that's the right size (175mm diameter) and looks nice enough. I'd also like a small piece of port glass to make an insert to go at the back of the hole, 4" square seems to be the right size to fit in a piece of that 150mm pipe, it can be smaller as it's at the back of the hole.

An finally I'm amazed how much darker the room is in a fade to black scene, even the JVC seems to have enough light bleed and scatter to affect the picture. If I go in the hallway behind when the projector is on there's almost enough light leaking to find the loo door!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Doh! I just realised all I need is a picture frame deep enough to angle the glass and seal it to the wall in front of the hole, nice and neat.

Thanks for causing me to go read loads of old Projector Port postings from years ago.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just ordered their 6mm & 10mm Dual Glazed Frame 12" x 12 . I'll post up pictures and unboxing when I get it. I didn't feel like messing with building it my self. I still have drywall to put up and sub boxes to build. This also saves me time from building a hush box like I had planned on and running active cooling to it and having to worry about room for a bigger projector later. Whish my luck on it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So first impressions, really nice. Well made, definitely feel the weight of the glass. As far as I can tell it’s super clear. I can’t see any color shift or any change in clarity looking though. One I ordered is doubled for sound dampening. It’s a little thicker then I had thought. Going to maybe have to make some changes to get it to go where I wanted. It’s 12x12x6. My rear wall is doubled 2x4. So I have to figure how to place it between the 2 walls. Or have it hang out some from the outside wall.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I can report a good experience with home theater glass. Com as well. I ordered the pre made single pane glass box similar to above with 8x10" glass. Be aware that if they make the box that the glass sits in, it will be 6" deep (would sit perfectly in 2x6 wall cavity) unless you call and specify something different. I didn't realize this and needed a much more shallow depth (3"). I ended up having to cut the box down with a table saw but fortunately all went well and glass is still in one piece!

·
Registered
620 Posts
To collate another option, Tiffen glass was posted about last week: Official JVC RS4500/Z1 Owner's Thread
Thanks for the hint, I was lucky enough to find a Tiffen 100mm clear filter on eBay for a very low price a week or two ago. I've since built a projector port around it and the results are promising, I ended up with an 80mm opening after making a cardboard template, there's a small gap either side of the image so a small margin for error and adjustment.

I made the opening a lot bigger vertically than it needed to be by mistake, I got the plug upside down while marking it out!

Even with Tiffen glass there's a visible colour cast, I'm surprised considering Tiffen's reputation. I re-ran JVC autocal last night and that has corrected it out without any problems.

What I didn't expect was an improvement to blacks and therefore contrast, I guess there's sufficient stray light from the projector for the port window to make a difference. It's a bit like an iris in the light path I guess, I tested with the port plug before I fitted the glass and the improvement was there, immediately noticeable. While I was doing a final opening clearance check it was very easy to fit and remove the plug.

Plug

Rear view, from projector shelf.

Front view with projector re-installed.

I'm using almost all the vertical lens shift and almost the widest zoom, hence the view of the bottom of the lens cover.

Reactions: JamesVG81
1 - 12 of 12 Posts