AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm planing for the Samsung PN64F8500,just want to know if there's any online tv store that do the service?

there are no certified calibrators where I live,I just used to go to tweak my tv,then apply the sitting,which is not good enough to me.

I thought of buying the required hardware+software required to do it my self,the problem is that I'm a total newbie.

appreciate any help,suggestion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,335 Posts
Most of the Real pros travel. They do tours of different areas so if you post "Looking for calibration in xxxxx city/state" you will probably get a response. Someone will also post a list of folks and where they are located as I don't have that link handy. It is best if you put your city/state in your profile so folks know where you are located. Some of us Enthusiasts also calibrate for others at a reduced cost as we are learning and gaining experience but that of course requires the Enthusiast to know you are near by..


As for doing it yourself, it is not a quick fix. You will need to invest some money, and if you want the results accurate, it will most likely be, at the very least, $1000. If your display is not a front projection or rear projection that needs to be done every 6 months, and you are not looking for a new hobby that will cost a large sum of money and no leas than 100 hours of your time, I would suggest hiring a pro. Even if you think you might want to get into it, if you hire a pro that educates, you really get your money's worth.


Also, as to your question, it is best to calibrate a display on site as your environment and viewing habits come into play.

Hope that helps!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes  /t/1469419/any-online-store-with-calibration-service#post_23231540


Most of the Real pros travel. They do tours of different areas so if you post "Looking for calibration in xxxxx city/state" you will probably get a response. Someone will also post a list of folks and where they are located as I don't have that link handy. It is best if you put your city/state in your profile so folks know where you are located. Some of us Enthusiasts also calibrate for others at a reduced cost as we are learning and gaining experience but that of course requires the Enthusiast to know you are near by..


As for doing it yourself, it is not a quick fix. You will need to invest some money, and if you want the results accurate, it will most likely be, at the very least, $1000. If your display is not a front projection or rear projection that needs to be done every 6 months, and you are not looking for a new hobby that will cost a large sum of money and no leas than 100 hours of your time, I would suggest hiring a pro. Even if you think you might want to get into it, if you hire a pro that educates, you really get your money's worth.


Also, as to your question, it is best to calibrate a display on site as your environment and viewing habits come into play.

Hope that helps!
Thanks

the cost never been a question for a professional service, the reason why I'm asking for online tv store who offer's the service is that I live in the Gulf countries.I want my tv to be shipped pre calibrated.

there are stores in Europe who do the service,unfortunately they don't offer international orders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector  /t/1469419/any-online-store-with-calibration-service#post_23231482


Hi

I'm planing for the Samsung PN64F8500,just want to know if there's any online tv store that do the service?

there are no certified calibrators where I live,I just used to go to tweak my tv,then apply the sitting,which is not good enough to me.

I thought of buying the required hardware+software required to do it my self,the problem is that I'm a total newbie.

appreciate any help,suggestion.

Cleveland Plasma and Value Electronics both provide calibrations. The calibrators are the same pro travelers you'll find on these forums.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector  /t/1469419/any-online-store-with-calibration-service/0_20#post_23231597


Thanks

the cost never been a question for a professional service, the reason why I'm asking for online tv store who offer's the service is that I live in the Gulf countries.I want my tv to be shipped pre calibrated.

there are stores in Europe who do the service,unfortunately they don't offer international orders.

I don't know if pre-calibrating a tv and then shipping it is a good idea because part of the calibration process is the viewing environment. If your calibrated set doesn't look good to you in your environment then I would think it would be difficult to get it corrected or re-adjusted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,723 Posts
Greetings


It also has to assume that the equipment you plug into it on your end is actually set up right or have no deficiencies of their own that can be accounted for.


TVs calibrated to a reference source do nothing for you if your gear is not reference or close to it. Like baking you a great cake and then putting it under glass so you can never taste it. Too bad it will still go bad over time. When a calibration is done with your gear, the deficiencies can be factored into the mix. A cake you can actually taste.


Better than nothing ... yes ... but it also has the potential to be nothing too ...



regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot  /t/1469419/any-online-store-with-calibration-service#post_23231773


I don't know if pre-calibrating a tv and then shipping it is a good idea because part of the calibration process is the viewing environment. If your calibrated set doesn't look good to you in your environment then I would think it would be difficult to get it corrected or re-adjusted.
I understand your point,but,if the viewing environment is simulated based on a precise description...e.g.,luminosity measurements,then I assume that a decent calibration could be achieved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dprojector  /t/1469419/any-online-store-with-calibration-service#post_23231908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot  /t/1469419/any-online-store-with-calibration-service#post_23231773


I don't know if pre-calibrating a tv and then shipping it is a good idea because part of the calibration process is the viewing environment. If your calibrated set doesn't look good to you in your environment then I would think it would be difficult to get it corrected or re-adjusted.
I understand your point,but,if the viewing environment is simulated based on a precise description...e.g.,luminosity measurements,then I assume that a decent calibration could be achieved.
You are right that the viewing environment can be set up correctly as part of your entertainment system design. Unfortunately, this is not taught much in the consumer video arena. Experienced professionals in the program production and post production portion of the video world know how vital the viewing environment conditions are for seeing the picture correctly. Here is a technical article that should help you in that regard: 'The Importance Of Viewing Environment Conditions In A Reference Display System.' After reviewing that article you may contact me directly by e-mail if you need additional assistance.


Many self-described calibration hobbyists, and even some practicing professionals, ignore or diminish the very real impact of conflicting viewing environment conditions upon display performance. Even though this topic is covered somewhat in the formal calibration certification programs, not enough credence is given this side of imaging science. Every complete calibration service should include recommendations for correcting conflicting viewing environment issues. A "perfectly" calibrated display cannot be perceived as providing a correct image if environmental characteristics interfere. Since calibration instruments only read light and not minds, viewing conditions must follow recommended best practices to compensate for the limitations of the human visual system.


Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

A Lion AV Consultants affiliate


"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top