AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Take a look at the official Carada thread, but for my money, they make a good product. I went from a more expensive Da-Lite HCCV to a Carada BW and saw the improvement immediatly. I'm using a Panasonic AE-900U. It's 19.5 feet from a 118" screen.

·
Registered
384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJohnFalstaff /forum/post/0

Take a look at the official Carada thread, but for my money, they make a good product. I went from a more expensive Da-Lite HCCV to a Carada BW and saw the improvement immediatly. I'm using a Panasonic AE-900U. It's 19.5 feet from a 118" screen.

I'll second that. I've got a 118" BW and I couldn't be happier. Quality is top notch and so is the service. I have an AX-100U. Just give them a call and talk it over.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
This is what I had to say about Carada back in September after I ordered my screen

"I ordered my 92" Classic Cinema White Screen with the Precision Frame on 9/21 from the website. Prior to placing the order, I contacted David via email in regards to some technical questions. David was very prompt in returning my emails...within a matter of a couple hours...we discussed screen material, size, and what frame to purchase. It would have been easy for David to push the more expensive Criterion frame, but instead he gave me an honest evaluation of my room and recommended the Precision frame.

Shortly after I placed the order David contacted me via email to let me know that someone else had ordered the exact screen as the one I wanted, but changed their mind at the last minute for a larger version. Therefore, my order would ship that afternoon. The screen was not due to arrive at my door until Tuesday (9/26), so needless to say when my Fedex delivery guy rang the door bell Saturday morning (9/23) I was somewhat surprised.

I had the room all prepped for the screen, so all that needed to be done was to unpack, assemble, and install.

The packaging was second to none, everything arrived in pristine condition. Unlike the screen that was already sitting in my garage from a different vendor. It's packing had a lot to be desired, and the screens condition showed it. That was one of the reasons I decided to go with Carada. I knew going in from other reviews that they took great pride and care in ensuring that the screen gets to its destination unscathed.

Assembly was quick and painless. The instructions well written and easy to understand with great illustrations. The overall look of the instructions was very professional and well thought out, not an after thought as so many other instructions booklets seem to be.

Quality and construction of the screen are excellent. I had no problems assembling the screen by myself. Every piece was well labeled and the fit was perfect. No gaps, no missing patches of black out cloth. I especially loved the idea that they included gloves for handling the screen material. The entire process took about 2hrs from unpacking the screen to hanging it, and that was being exact and deliberate about everything.

I have since recalibrated the projector for the new material, and did some lengthy viewing this weekend. Starting with "The Fifth Element Superbit", "The Proposition", "Sin city", and ending with some HD NFL on Sunday. The screen surface is as flat as a piece of glass, with no hot spotting or shadowing. The gain of the Cinema White appears to be perfect for the my AE700, with just enough pop for colors, but without over saturating them. I should add that my room has complete light control, with no ambient overspill, partial black ceiling and dark colored acoustic treatments on the wall.

I am very happy that I decided to go with Carada, and would not hesitate recommending them to anyone else.

Price: A+

Quality: A+

Customer Service: A+"

·
Registered
36 Posts
I recently purchased a brilliant white 112" 2:35:1 screen and I second PLincoln on all points:

Price: A+

Quality: A+

Customer Service: A+"

Packing was excellent, assembly was simple and build quality is fantastic. Add in great customer service (David) and they get my highest recommendation.

BTW - I haven't done a lot of personal screen comparisons so I can't comment on how the Carada BW compares to this screen or that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had all three Carda Screens Grey,Classic Cinema White and BW.I am currently using the

103" BW I am very happy with it.The 118" CCW I used for about a year and is in my storage in my basment now and the grey was just was to dark for me so i sold it.

Ill find a pic for you to see it in action.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have had my CCW 103" for four years now and have nothing but good things to say.

I am impressed from PLincoln's post that David still takes the time for personal responses to questions.

One thing I like best about mine is the build quality of the frame. Good solid, well machined parts. Nothing but top notch.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As a recent first time projector owner, I spent many hours on AVS and other websites stressing about which screen to choose. I thought Carada was going to be out of the running because it was a little out of my price range and I thought since this is my first one I don't need to blow the bank. But I also didn't want to pay a couple hundred less to save money and have to replace the screen in a short amount of time. I am happy to report it was worth the extra money. I can't comment on customer service because I have been so happy with the screen I haven't needed them for anything! Setup is simple and quick. Build quality and packaging is excellent. Very happy with my Carada.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Can anyone comment on the differences between BW and High Contrast Grey? I'm more interested in achieving deep blacks rather than maximum brightness. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Can anybody comment on the viewing angle and hot-spotting of the Carada BW 1.4 gain screen material? I have used blackout material for years and have been ok with it. I have seen my projector used with a HP Dalite 2.8 gain screen and it looks nice, but I found the viewing angle was limited.

What is the viewing angle like with the 1.4 Carada?

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
Great service.

I ended not going with them though, since they didn't have anything between High Contrast Grey and Classic Cinema White.

It seemed to me the ideal for my setup was something in between CCW and HCG. HCG was simply too dark, but CCW was too light for my tastes. I did not like the Brilliant White in my setup but YMMV.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
I've purchased 2 screens from Carada. The first screen was a 110" diag 16:9 with Classic Cinema White material, which I was going to use with an InFocus SP5000 (an older 3LCD unit). When I set it up, I quickly found that the SP5000's poor black levels needed some help, so I wrote back to Carada and asked if I could change out the CCW material for the High Contrast Gray material, and they were VERY helpful with the whole process. They always responded very promptly and gave me several options for swapping out the material.

I returned to them about 4 months later when I upgraded to a 2.35:1 CH setup, and again their responsiveness and customer service was second to none. Although I had to carry my 136" screen up 15 flights of stairs (stupid cargo elevators weren't big enough!!), it was well worth it. The screens themselves are very sturdy, the fit and finish is top notch, and they look a LOT more expensive than they actually are

Carada's customer-oriented attitude is apparent in everything from the detailed assembly directions to the quality of their products. I would highly recommend them over much higher priced competitors without hesitation.

I'm hoping that their continued R&D yields a CH Masking solution just like their current Masquerade product, which seems to be a GREAT deal.

**cpc: Sorry I missed your question. I have never had any issues with hotspotting with my Brilliant White material, and the viewing cone is very wide. I don't have any actual numbers for you, but I don't notice any light dropoff even at extreme angles.

·
Premium Member
26,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex70 /forum/post/9556044

Any advice on buying or not buying a Carada screen?

Thanks,

Tex

Tex:

Welcome to AVS. Your best source for quick information is the search engine. As others have mentioned, Carada is a very popular company for the quality of product and service. Here is the master thread on the company which was located on page two of this forum

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=585549

The best way to search is advance search, title search only, limit search words to one or two and make sure to highlight the appropriate forum from the list to the right.

Good Luck

Ron

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.