Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to buy a Panasonic PT-40LC12 for $2299. I know it's an LCD design but I guess it fits in RPTV category more so than plasma/LCD.

I can't swing the 4k for a Samsung DLP 50. I plan to use a Zenith HD420 decoder for OTA programming.

Any opinions or advices would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would be careful with this one. I love the size of the set and have no problems with the quality of the picture (atlhough I acknowledge that it is not perfect, its fine for my eyes and my budget). HOWEVER, the cooling fan is so loud that it is clearly audible (and annoying) when the set is at normal listening levels. Of course, with all of the ambient noise in the store, you never know about this problem until you get the set home. Panasonic replaced my fan earlier in the week, but that did not help solve the problem. Now I want to return the set, but my dealer has been unable to secure a return authorization from Panasonic. I am not happy. I strongly suggest that, if nothing else, you visit the store during off hours and ask the dealer to mute all of the other sets so you can get a feel for the fan noise. Then decide for yourself.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can hear the fan on this guy, but in my setup, only after I turn off the audio equipment and walk up to the TV to turn it off. To me the fan is not a problem but I can see where in some rooms, at close viewing distances, it could be.

I think this is a cool TV and it fits great in the room we have it. It has some major advantages (picture brightness and clarity, size, weight, coolness factor) and some disadvantages (fan noise, weak contrast, bulb life).

For me, it's a great TV that delivers a bright and detailed picture and at $2299...I'd probabaly have bought 2!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
$2300 for the PT40LC12??? Delivered??

What's next?

Every network station in the US transmitting HDTV by Christmas?

Hell freezing over?

Osama bin Laden as a Panasonic dealer?

For that price you're getting an incredible set. That is the best

price/performance for any HDTV.

The CC where I bought mine (first they sold, had to order it)

says they are selling like hotcakes.

Theirs is sitting at one end of the big lineup of RPTVs,

with the GWII at the other end. People are still buying

the CRT RPTVs, but on the way out they are staring at the

Panny and the GW and trying to stave off the buyer's remorse. I've

actually seen this happen more than once.

Doug McDonald

·
Registered
349 Posts
It sounds like non-pure black levels are the main complaint. On the other hand, the 720p compatibility and the fact that it shouldn't suffer burn-in when viewing 4:3 and other material is a plus.

How resilient to pokes and fingerprints is the screen?

How do the viewing angles (horizontal and vertical) compare to a small CRT RPTV?

What Picture in Picture modes are there?

What Zoom/Stretch/Crop modes are there for 4:3 or very widescreen material? Are they useful?

Is there a non-volatile user definable memory for all the picture controls that will not be erased if you select a pre-set mode?

Any additional comments from other owners appreciated. I'm also considering a Toshiba 36HFX72 direct view, and the Sony and Hitachi 43-46" RPTVs.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well, had one for a few months now and overall very pleased with the set. I'm not as demanding with regards to visual quality as most people on this board so did not see the need to tweak the settings (red push, etc). The only problem I ran into was dust that gets sucked into the optical path (shows up as green spots on the screen). My fix for that was to tape the edges of the dust filter in front of the unit with scotch tape - works so far. :)

I use it mostly for DVDs, the picture is sharp and clear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the PT45LC12 and agree with Durack, I think the picture on

DVD's as well as HD(OTA and HDnet) look GREAT. I had a bunch of people over for the Superbowl, and they couldn't stop talking about how nice the picture looked. The only problems I've had is the dust(green spots on REAL dark scenes), I have to call and have someone clean it, then I'm going to try the Tape trick(thanks Durack).

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've had my set for 6 months now and I love everything about the set except the dust problem (green spots). I've had my cleaned twice and it's currently at the shop with the same problem. Panasonic now has a service bulletin about this problem. If a set has this problem more than 2 times they are changing out the entire optic unit. That's what's happening to mine today.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
This set has been talked about a lot recently, you might do a search as suggested earlier. Main complaint seemed to be excessive fan noise, apparently very annoying in some cases.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
My main complaint is that the screen makes everything look like it is shimmering -- all the time. There is no setting you can change to mitigate this.

I personally also hate the aesthetics and find it nosiy.

Still, the resolution is stellar.

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.