AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually liked the movie the first time I watched it on an upconverted sd version and thought the sound was great. Anyone great a chance to view the HD DVD version yet? If so how was PQ and AQ?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I saw it in the theaters, it was entertaining.

Emmy Rossum is a nice piece also.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btstarke /forum/post/0

I actually liked the movie the first time I watched it on an upconverted sd version and thought the sound was great. Anyone great a chance to view the HD DVD version yet? If so how was PQ and AQ?

I did and thought the same thing as you Starke. Saw upconverted on A1 when the SD version first came out. Cool movie, with a nice steady/fast pace - that thankfully doesn't devolve into corny/teen-aged tripe a la Day After Tomorrow or whatever. Had the HD version reserved and paid off but when I went to Movie Stop today to pick it up - they had it priced at 29.99 and after calling 3 target stores that didn't have it in stock - couldn't price match it for me.

So after some deliberation, I said **** it. Just ordered it from Bestprices.com and google checkout for 11 bucks. I haven't paid over 19.99 for any of my 40 HD DVDs yet - and I don't intend to start to now. (but otherwise, I could be telling you about the PQ now)

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
The Movie Stop I went too had the same $29.99 price. That is the price that Movie Stop uses for all the combo disc, everything else is $24.99 or less and, most WB (that aren't a combo) are $19.99. They had Clerks 2 for $19.99 (which I picked up, best comedy of the year) and Scooby Doo for $18.99. I thought it might have been priced wrong so, I had the clerk check the price in there computer and $29.99 was the only price they had. Since Poseidon was originally announced as a combo, I think someone forgot to update Movie Stop's computers once it became an HD DVD only release. I thought the movie was enjoyable but nothing great, Emmy Rossum with her low cut shirt helped! With TrueHD 5.1 I would have gladly picked it up for $19.99 but, not at $30.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at the review it looks like the main scene where all hell breaks loose is just as good as I thought it would be for an HD DVD. The DD track on the SD version was great so I can only imagine how its gonna sound now. If there are any other reviews please post em up, if not I'll post mine after getting the movie and watching it.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Hmm, I could SWEAR that this was labeled as a combo (on the front coverart) when I saw this in person at my local Movie Stop. Maybe my mind/eyes are playing tricks on me though.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I received it from amazon today. It's not a combo, and it has an IME track, which I wasn't expecting. It was in my Gold Box a while back, so I got an extra dollar off it when I preordered it. Unfortunately my HT is in a state of flux since I sold my old receiver, and my new one is still a couple days from arriving, so I won't be able to check it out for a week or so.

This'll be the longest I've gone without watching a HD-DVD. I'm already starting to get the shakes.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I'll be buying this one......especially because of the Dolby TrueHD track and $19.99 price tag.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Got it today looks great really top notch. Haven't gotten to the tidal scene yet. Unless in someone finds EE I have a feeling this will be a tier 1-0 movie.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Are you guys serious? I thought Poseidon was extremely noisy/grainy especially since 90% of the movie takes place in the dark. The opening scenes were terrific and it just seemed to go downhill from there. It might be my display though.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlreddragon /forum/post/0

Are you guys serious? I thought Poseidon was extremely noisy/grainy especially since 90% of the movie takes place in the dark. The opening scenes were terrific and it just seemed to go downhill from there. It might be my display though.

There was a very very thin veneer of grain really only noticeable when paused for me. In live action almost everything looks pristine.

I take it back the last scene outside the boat had a lot more grain visible then the rest of the movie but even then only certain shots. I am usually one of the worst complainers of grain and such and if I had a hard time noticing it then I think 80% will love the PQ of this.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Just got done watching it I found it very good. Good tranzfer great sound. Going to try the true HD track monday...

·
Registered
882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlreddragon /forum/post/0

It is your display. It looks fantastic.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I too loved it. A few soft spots, but overall first rate ransfer. Ill definitely use it to show off my set up

See a New review of it HERE

1 - 20 of 34 Posts