AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching up and down the various 37" - 46" LCD models (and actually purchased the Westy 37" for my office monitor and love it), but haven't been quite as successful in finding the right feature/price HD LCD for my bedroom.

In looking about, I saw the JVC in a local BB and frankly rather liked what I saw. Even Costco offers this set (for even less online), but much to my surprise, even after doing a search didn't find one thread mentioning this set on here.

Has anyone bought or researched this set here at AVS? How does JVC even stack up in the LCD television arena (compared with the other players)? I know it's considered (by many) to be a first tier Japaneese manufacturer, but they just seem to be entering the US flat panel marketplace (at least in larger screen models). They are also about to add another even higher def. 1080p 40" model in the next few weeks or so.

If the Sceptre I just ordered doesn't stack up, I'm considering this set (even though it's a good bit more expensive). Plus it has some additional features including a larger screen, a programmable wake and sleep timer and even PC card and Memory stick slots...!

Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers all... ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm amazed that no one has this model or any opinions on it! Guess I'm the only one even considering it? That doesn't bode well for JVC in the LCD arena if this forum is any indication of popularity... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
any ideas on the price of the 1080p 40 inch JVC? I have the westy as a PC monitor as well, but I still need one more for another room. Ideally it would be a plug and play monitor like the westy, but a little larger...like 45 inches. The sharp/samsung just aren't very PC friendly, so I'm hoping some other company starts making these things.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suspect that other manufacturers will soon be producing more computer friendly 1080p sets in larger sizes over the next six months to a year.

As for the new JVC 1080p set price, in my searches I did come across one site that had it (supposedly) for sale for around $5k. I don't know if that's the MSRP or not but I suspect that it is. This set is so new that I'm not even sure it's been released into the marketplace. Most sites I found referred to pre-ordering it.

Just Google it and I'm sure you'll find the same sites that I did.

Good luck and please come back and post if you decide to get one and let us know your opinion!

Cheers ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I started a thread with specs on this unit as I had to get rid of my Westy due to QA/QC issues....I now have the JVC 40" model at a great price....walked away with newly delivered floor model for net price with discount and rebates for just over 3k.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I also recently purchased the JVC - LT40X776. I am extremely happy with the SD quality and was one of the reasons why I bought it since there is still alot of broadcasts in this format. The TV pulls in ATSC signals from my attic antenna very good, although my PBS signal drops sometimes during the day. I may end up moving my antenna outside.

I am very impressed with the brightness of the JVC since I have a very brightly lit room. The TV has four picture settings standard, dynamic, theater, and game and I can customize the color/contrast etc. settings of each one. I am use dynamic for my room setting.

I am also using the ReplayTV 5000 with this box and the upconversion is good so long as I record at high quality. I am planning on upgrading to DirecTV's new HD PVR box next year.

If anyone has any questions about this TV...I'll be more than happy to answer them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Kruse.
If anyone has any questions about this TV...I'll be more than happy to answer them.
You wouldn't have happened to run any game consoles on this display, have you?

I'd be curious to hear if this LCD can keep up.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch (Markus)
I'm amazed that no one has this model or any opinions on it! Guess I'm the only one even considering it? That doesn't bode well for JVC in the LCD arena if this forum is any indication of popularity... :rolleyes:
JVC is probably one of the best manufacturers, but their marketing is horrible. I tried to find a particular JVC plasma but nobody i contacted carried it anywhere in So Calif. I had similar problems finding an HD-ready JVC tube TV a few years ago. Every post i've come across about a JVC product was always positive but what good are positive reviews when you can't find the product?

·
Registered
124 Posts
BB is carrying this model and from indications I've heard from the management there they are rushing to get more units in. I listed the specs in a previous thread so you can do a search and find same. After returning my Westy (went through two units and couldn't tolerate the lack of QA/QC) I spent several hours comparing LG, Sharp, Phillips models with JVC....no comparison! JVC knocks them out. The key as mentioned before is the superior circuitry and separate inputs and PQ control for SD. Don't worry about response time....go visit a store with the model and watch a live action sporting event.....you'll get the positive answer you're looking for. As to marketing I don't miss it since the price tag reflects the discount you are receiving for not paying for same in other manufacturer's products.....JVC's reputation for building rock solid products is shown in this model.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well,

Its down to the JVC 40X776 and the Samsung LNR408D.

I looked at both last night at BB. Both were good, although I could swear that the Samsung had better black levels. It would be nice if Beast Buy would have a DVD player and XBox floating around so I could plug them into both TVs instead of their video loop.

On another topic, has anyone with the JVC used the FireWire port for anything? Since my STB has a live FireWire port, I'm curious if I could use it as the cable input and save the other digital input for something else if I go with the JVC.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuyahoga
Well,

Its down to the JVC 40X776 and the Samsung LNR408D.

I looked at both last night at BB. Both were good, although I could swear that the Samsung had better black levels. It would be nice if Beast Buy would have a DVD player and XBox floating around so I could plug them into both TVs instead of their video loop.

On another topic, has anyone with the JVC used the FireWire port for anything? Since my STB has a live FireWire port, I'm curious if I could use it as the cable input and save the other digital input for something else if I go with the JVC.
I think the LT40HS96 should be available from JVC in just a few weeks at about the same price as the 776

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just an FYI for all those interested in this set, while indeed you can see the JVC at BB (and lately they've had it on sale), Costco.com also has this same set and it's less expensive. No price quotes can be listed here but just look at the Costco site for their offering, and that includes of course the unrivaled Costco guarantee! Sadly, they only seem to offer it online and from my recollection, delivery time is somewhere around 15-20 business days.

From what I've seen, it's a pretty nice set and even has an on/off timer which is great for using as an alarm clock function if intended as a bedroom set. :)

Cheers all

·
Registered
124 Posts
The firewire port per owner's manual is dedicated for JVC devices only, but you can inquire at a deeper level by calling 800-252-5722 and ask for technical support re: connections...they may have more info. I did find out that you can connect by firewire a JVC D-VHS recorder and connect a cable or sat receiver via hdmi and record HDTV through the TV which is a major feature separating this unit from its competition.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was at BB this weekend and was comparing the Sammy 408D and the JVC 40" LCD, and while the Sammy had better black levels (3000:1, it claims), the JVC did better overall in my eye - the picture seemed more crisp and the color was more balanced, and for being only 800:1 contrast ratio, as claimed by JVC, it looked noticeably better than Sharp LCDs, which has the same contrast.

I hadn't heard anything about the LT40HS96, is that JVC's new 1080p LCD?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like JVC better than Samsung unit.

What do you guys think about this 40x776 and the popular Sharp Aquos 37d7u?

Thanks

·
Registered
651 Posts
I bought one; it just came today. Got the analog and digital tv tuners programmed and a dvd player connected. Looks pretty good out of the box, but I don't have time to calibrate it and do all the adjustments yet.

Two questions to anyone who has a little more experience with theirs:

*Recommended initial settings for picture, especially various "corrections" on or off?

*Has anybody figured out how to turn off internal speakers and get fixed audio level out for home theater? In digital tuner mode, the Toslink audio is fixed with volume adjusted in receiver, and I can run internal speaker volume to zero, but I'd prefer a switch.

Edit: Never mind. The left and right "monitor" outputs are fixed volume and work with receiver (in analog mode, where Toslink doesn't). Internal speaker volume has to be run to zero, no switch setting apparently, but I can get what I want.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
How does the new JVC 1080p set compare in overall picture quality to the LT40X776 and LNR408D? The black levels are of particular interest.

There are some pretty good deals to be hand on the LNR408D.

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Loren, thanks.....any further comments since you have owned the set now a couple of weeks????? I am about to buy the JVC LT40 at a local video store----$$$ + (8.5%) sales tax.......

Thanks!

Curt

EDIT>>

mod note: no price other than MSRP, please. Thanks

·
Registered
651 Posts
Has anybody wallmounted one of these units? I'm presently using the base but thinking about a new entertainment center with "plasma hutch" that basically uses a wall-mount kit to attach to backboard.

The JVC site seems to indicate that two parts are required, a JVCPRF-100 UltraFlat Wall Plate, and a TS-C180B6 Adapeter plate, but is a little unclear. From dimensions, it seems a little flimsy for this size/weight of unit, but from the poor photos, I can't visualize it well.

Has anyone used this or another mounting solution for a JVC LCD. The one above is common for 32", 37", and 40" sizes (maybe some others) if you don't have this exact model.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.