AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am narrowing down my choices between a LCD and cheaper DLP projector (USD$1700-2400) and came across this unit but could not find any reviews on it. The specs are DLP SVGA, 1000 lumens, picture-in-picture capability, etc. Is this worth trying out or move on to other projectors ?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Viewsonic seem to commonly clone PJ's from other OEM's... This is not really a bad thing and I am the happy owner of a Viewsonic PLJ 830 (Davis DL450 clone or semi clone)...

A quick trawl over to projector central turns up the following info...
http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...m?part_id=1097

That states its OEM'ed from Optoma the EZPro 705
http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...fm?part_id=905

Neither of them list a 1000 lumen (both 700 - 800) but does seem to have adequate 400 or so contrast rating.. How either of them stack up in video use I could not tell you and would depend on if you are intending to use internal scaler or outboard / HTPC etc...

I would not that neither have a auto zoom and for a SVGA that would be a deal killer for me... I tend to need full panel rez a lot and so zoom 4:3 in and 16:9 out..

If you are looking for a SVGA DLP and are considering outboard scaling there is a Davis clone for sale in the classifieds... I have no connection with the seller but would say that I have found this PJ to be very good if you can control ambient light and use outboard scaling...

There may be better deals out there with modded plus's etc but keep looking and you will find gems...

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had the chance to have the following 3 projector to eval for the past 4 days. An Epson 810p, 50c, and the Viewsonic PJ870. These list/cost $6900/$4250, $3299/$1925, $2795/$1375 respectively. I have learned a lot in 4 days! I have a nice dark 12x20 dedicated HT room. This being all new to me, I put the Toshiba 35" TV to the side, and did some down and (real) dirty Projection tests. Used all DVD's via S-Video ports. I started by painting the projection wall with light grey glossy paint. Read that was a good start. OK, the 810p was the most tuneable picture size wise, then the 50c, then the PJ870 which took a minute or 2 longer. The Epson 'zoom' works in video mode, where the Litebird take moving it, once in position your done. I found with all the projectors the best results sitting 13ft away was about a 7 ft wide screen. The Epson happily did 10 ft screens, but the pixelazation wasn't pleasing to the eyes. I didn't even try the PJ870 that big having learned what looked best playing with the Epsons first. The 810p @ 2k lum was far to bright for my nice dark HT room. The 50c @ 1000 lum was also too powerful. I also painted the wall flat white, and even went as far as to make 3/8" sheetrock panels and painted them super dark flat blue and tacked them around the white (screen) area which calmed down reflected light alot and improved things greatly overall. I own the PJ870, and the Epsons are borrowed. I also made some flat back baffles to box in the extra light comming out of these projectors. The result where surprisingly positve, and we watched every DVD we have this weekend. Just have to decide on my permanent screen configuration but will say this. If you can really control the light in your HT room like I do, even the 700 lum litebird is plenty bright enough. I prefer the DLP over the LCD myself. Off to buy a progressive scan player today. Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Robert,

I am seriously considering the pj870 for both HT and presentation usage. One concern I have is the operating noise that was complained about in a review I saw (actually the review was on the Optoma Ezpro 705, which is supposedly the same projector). The other thing I am wondering about is how good the built in speakers are for use in meeting room presentation. Can you please comment on the operating noise, and if you have ever used the internal speaker before?

thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, it is not particularly quite. I have constructed a Box for the ceiling in my HT which solves the noise issue for HT use.

Haven't used the internal speaker though. Point on the noise, I went to see the Fellowship of the Ring last night, and comparatively the running noise of the PJ

is less than that of even just the popcorn crunching in a loaded Theater, not to mention the coughing, sneezing, and the idiot with the infant. It will only detract from the pleasure of watching movies in you own HT if you let it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.