AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TV is HDTV-ready but I'm not sure if there are any OTA (over the air, meaning you can receive the signal with an antenna not over Satellite or cable) HDTV signals in Denver? I don't want to buy an HDTV receiver to find out that only Oprah is HDTV or something :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
My TV is HDTV-ready but I'm not sure if there are any OTA (over the air, meaning you can receive the signal with an antenna not over Satellite or cable) HDTV signals in Denver? I don't want to buy an HDTV receiver to find out that only Oprah is HDTV or something :)
Hey, RandyL712...

Your just about to join in the fun. Here is some light reading to get you started.

In a nutshell, yes there is OTA HDTV to be had in Denver (pause), provided:

You have a clear view of the Republic Plaza tower downtown.

You have a big 'ole UHF antenna to point at it.

KRMA-DT 18 (Rocky Mt. PBS) has a relatively strong signal, and a neat selection of programming. KMGH-DT 17 (ABC, Channel 7) shows the HD ABC primetime lineup, with all of their other programming up-converted. The DT 17 signal is much tougher to get, because the transmission antenna is located atop the KMGH building near Lincoln and Speer, which is a much shorter building than Republic Plaza.

Fox has their digital transmitter operating at near full power on Lookout mountain (DT 32), but Fox has no HD programming. Their content is broadcast 14:9 at 480p. I haven't seen their stuff, so I can't comment on it.

Both Dish Network and DirectTV offer a variety of HD programming (HBO, ppv movies, etc.). Dish also provides Showtime HD and CBS HD programming from both east and west coasts. DirectTV features HD-NET, which provides a variety of HD programming and live sports.

Read the mountain of posts concerning Denver OTA HDTV in the HD Hardware forum. Fascinating stuff!

Regards...

JohnW

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.