AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a HDTV this month (or next) when ever the company releases the new line. I'd like to get an OTA HDTV receiver to go with it, but given that much better HDTV receivers are around the corner I only want to spend $500 or less, preferably $400 or less. At the same time it needs to output DolbyDigital, 480p/720p/1080i, I don't want it to convert 720p -> 1080i. Are there any receivers out there like this? I doesn't need to accept DirecTV, but I wouldn't complain if it did since I have DirecTV.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great! How is the picture quality on the receiver? One thing though

This from the description of the Samsung:

"Simply select 480P, 720P or 1080i on the back of the unit for matching the appropriate native display format of the DTV monitor"

Thats a user interface nightmare, my TV does 720p and 1080i native, so I'd have to get up and change it to 720p every time I'm watchin ABC then back to 1080i when I'm watchin something else. Granted this will probably be the receiver I'll get since its soo inexpensive (thanks guys), in the future (or even now on more expensive receivers) can they just auto detect which HD signal is being used and output it?

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
It's not much easier on the Dish 6000, you have to navigate the menu system, 6/1/9/select output/save/cancel/cancel/cancel. It would be nice to have a direct access button for this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got a Hughes E86 STB from Sound Advice here in the Tampa, FL area for $399.95. So far I am very pleased, I use it for off air (4 locals in HD) and HBO HD. I also have the RCA MM36100/DTC100 combo and dish for my family room.

About six months ago I bought the Samsung 27" flat screen that does HD 1080i for future upgrade for the wife to view in the living room, the E86 is a perfect match. I really like the channel integration being able to go from local HD to what ever on my DirecTV subscription. The E86 has DD 5.1 optical out as well.

I think Tweeter bought Sound Advice a few months ago if you have either in your area.

Good Luck.

Mike

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sizam

Great! How is the picture quality on the receiver?
I think the picture quality is great. The tuner has high sensitivity for reception as well.

Quote:
Thats a user interface nightmare, my TV does 720p and 1080i native, so I'd have to get up and change it to 720p every time I'm watchin ABC then back to 1080i when I'm watchin something else.
If you leave the switch set to 1080i, then the box will convert a 720p broadcast to a 1080i signal on the component output (YPbPr or RGB). However, if you want to watch 720p without conversion, then you would physically change the switch to 720p. It would be helpful if the on-screen display specified whether the broadcast is 720p or 1080i, but it merely tells you whether the broadcast is HD or SD.

There are some advantages when the box does not change the format of the output even though the format of the broadcast changes. One advantage is that you can set the output to the format that is optimum for your particular display device. Another advantage is that the display device does not need to re-synchronize, which would otherwise cause the picture to briefly blank out when the output format changes.

Quote:
... in the future (or even now on more expensive receivers) can they just auto detect which HD signal is being used and output it?
I think some receivers currently on the market can automatically output the signal in its native format.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I recently bought a Panasonic TU-DST50 which is an OTA only box that seems to do what you want. I bought it open-box at Circuit City for $249. They seem to show up occasionally around the country. Mine was a factory re-furb. It has a switch on the back with 3 settings. One is 480i, one is 480P-1080i, and the third is 480P-720P-1080i. The only down side is that it the TV doesn't handle 720P, the box downconverts to 480P instead of 1080i. If your set handles 720P, then you would use the third setting, and it would send the signal in whatever format it was broadcast in. I am told that they show up on e-Bay quite often too.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The famous Panasonics TU-DST51 does output everything in native resolution, in the back of the receiver it has a switch for 5 postion NTSC-480P-720p-1080i-Native. just choose which one you to match your tv best. When it is in Native mode it will out put whatever format the incoming signal is.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kusamba
It won't be found for under $500 but the Panasonic TU-HDS20 handles it all automatically - just set it for native in/out and forget it. Just set it and forget it! :D
Oh? (Half.com $499.50 + $17 shipping, plus you should be able to find a coupon for $10-$15 off somewhere.)

I bought one from this guy about a month ago. No problems, factory sealed refurb. Admittedly, it does have the "loud fan" and (very minor) dropout problem, but you can send it in to get fixed for free if you're so inclined.

Alex

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.