AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only seen a few brief reviews on the SP5000, but nothing real in depth...AVS has a great deal on the unit right now and I am wondering how it compares to the AE700? The biggest difference on paper is the CR, but from some of the reviews, the actual CR on the AE700 is closer to the rated CR for the SP5000 (1200:1)...

· Registered
496 Posts
If you've read my recent thread you'll understand where I'm coming from..

Interesting times ahead...LCD winning the battle?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=457593

It's currently shut down due to the following reasons :

1. All dealers are experts, no amount of knowledge will make you better than them.

2. Do not talk about something already spoken of, even if you've never participated in it years ago and things have changed drastically.

3. "Members of the HT community" is ALWAYS right. The more years they have under their belts, the more right they are, not matter what. Period.

4. It seems the consensus around here is that you should go see one for

yourself. Reading reviews, seeing pictures, reading what other people have to say about projectors, learning about problems or success others have experienced, this entire forum in general basically not enough AND a complete waste of time, according to some people, to make a good decision on a projector purchase.

In all honesty, that's all COMPLETE garbage.

First, not everyone has the time and/or resource to go venture out and locating a dealership who just "happens" to have the exact product you're interested in for display.

Second, most dealers don't set it up right to begin with. You can forget about professional calibration from an ISF professional. Which doesn't matter anyway, since people in this forum probably won't spend 10% of their purchase to hire an ISF pro.

Third, the average consumer will not know what to look for in PQ. They'll simply be amazed at the size of the thing. And as I have already written in that other post, NO dealer in their right mind would put up a product that is plaque by manufacturing defects.

Fourth, (and this continues from #3), that's why you and I VALUE all reviews, comments, personal experiences (whether good or bad) from these forums, because, you know what? They are coming from real people just like me and you.

Who here hasn't researched about products via the Internet these days before going out and buying it? We've all done that. A lot of times we based our purchasing decision on the reviews we've read without touching the product. Look at all the pre-orders for AE700 & HS51!! NO store has them on display, yet people are buying. Why? Why do you think we're all here? To discuss about the weather? :D No! Look at the name of this forum, "Digital Projectors - Under $3500 USD MSRP". And if you're the type of person who just goes out to a store, play around with some product, and based your purchasing decision on that, then I'm sorry, you'll have to live with whatever defect you 'didn't' know about that product by not reading about other peoples experiences first!

Because quite honestly, one type of product has so many different choices. So regardless what people tell you (here) about visiting a dealer and playing around with the products, read, read, read. Dealers are there to make money. If they don't carry a certain brand you're interested in, it doesn't take a genious to figure out what his game plan is while you're standing in their store. And if they just happen to have THAT product on display and you bite, you'll never know what you could have had. Or worst yet, you find out the one your purchased, based on 30 mins of your own time at the store, is flawed.

And for the record, resolution DOES matter. Why do you think the industry is going towards HDTV instead of building better SDTV circuitry? Why do you think we're heading towards another DVD standard instead of improving the circuitry of the current DVD players? You can argue all you want with your "years" of HT community experience, but you know I'm right.

Mr. Moderator Kysersose, if you're going to ban me from these forums based on those comments, so be it. I've come here for a good and honest debate and to particpate in these forums with my own views and opinions. But if I can't write my own opinions here without flexing my credentials everytime, then it's not worth my time to write at all.

Thanks for your time everyone. :cool:

Oh, almost forgot about the review. I've spoken to a local dealer that demoed this baby a couple months back, and he initially thought that the contrast level is lacking, and no where close to the SP4805. Take what you will from that.

· Registered
1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Souki
If you've read my recent thread you'll understand where I'm coming from..

Interesting times ahead...LCD winning the battle?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=457593

It's currently shut down due to the following reasons :

1. All dealers are experts, no amount of knowledge will make you better than them.

2. Do not talk about something already spoken of, even if you've never participated in it years ago and things have changed drastically.

3. "Members of the HT community" is ALWAYS right. The more years they have under their belts, the more right they are, not matter what. Period.

4. It seems the consensus around here is that you should go see one for

yourself. Reading reviews, seeing pictures, reading what other people have to say about projectors, learning about problems or success others have experienced, this entire forum in general basically not enough AND a complete waste of time, according to some people, to make a good decision on a projector purchase.

In all honesty, that's all COMPLETE garbage.

Mr. Moderator Kysersose, if you're going to ban me from these forums based on those comments, so be it. I've come here for a good and honest debate and to particpate in these forums with my own views and opinions. But if I can't write my own opinions here without flexing my credentials everytime, then it's not worth my time to write at all.
Souki - if, as you mentioned in the other thread, you've truly spent the last 9 months researching projectors on this forum, you must know deep down that what you just wrote was simply false. I've found that for the most part, the dealers and "members of the HT community" as you put it, post here for one reason: to help you get the most enjoyment out of HT as possible.

In the

Here's the point you seem to be missing: do you need credentials to have an opinion? Of course not. Will you get respect voicing strong and antagonistic opinions when you have absolutely no experience to back it up? Not a chance.

· Registered
357 Posts
Souki, obviously you had some issues with your last thread but I think you need to voice your opinion somewhere else and not hijack somebody else's thread. By hijacking this thread you put it at risk of being closed as well.......not cool....especially if you are the original poster.

· Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Thanks For the Link, I am almost ready to pull the trigger on this projector, to the point of already having a estimate written up for install and a screen. For the price it sounds great... To Souki why do you feel the need to take over the thread with your bitterness. I am also looking for reviews of the SP5000, not your anger. I already heard enough crap this week listening to the debates

· Registered
27 Posts
The one thing I highly disagree with in that article is the fan noise. Mine will start pretty silent but as the unit heats up the fan turns into quite the roar. Definitely need a hushbox.

· Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lakewood
The one thing I highly disagree with in that article is the fan noise. Mine will start pretty silent but as the unit heats up the fan turns into quite the roar. Definitely need a hushbox.
How high are your celings?, and are you sitting right under it? My house has 8ft celings, so I will be close to the PJ. Also what kind of screen and size are you using, and from what distance.

· Registered
41 Posts
Hey dbacksfan in AZ. Good to see another Az ian on here....

· Registered
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dbacksfan51
How high are your celings?, and are you sitting right under it? My house has 8ft celings, so I will be close to the PJ. Also what kind of screen and size are you using, and from what distance.
Celing is 100" and I had to put the pj on an extension pole that drops it down about 24". It hangs a few feet directly above my head. I was able to put my 4805 a little higher since it has more offset, so the combination of the 5000 being a bit louder and closer necessitates the hushbox. It seems like there a 2 or more fan modes, as I notice that the fan is very quiet when the unit starts up but then becomes louder when it gets hot. I'm guessing that the other people who say this pj is "quiet" are somehow keeping it in the first mode (maybe their rooms are colder?).

I am using a 77" DaLite Model B HCMW, viewing distance is 10.5'. I might opt for more of a grey screen if I had to do it again to get the black level a bit darker.

· Registered
4,332 Posts
Quote:
The reviewer stated he used a 60" diagonal screen. The vast majority of FP users have screens much larger than 60" diagonal. Even a crappy PJ can look good on a 60" screen.

So reviewer's comment "My subjective judgment of the video emitted by this projector is highly favorable. First of all, the resolution is razor-sharp" is meaningless to me since the screen was small.

As for screen door, reviewer stated "I noticed whenever there was a bright scene with camera movement, I could see this 'screen door' lattice effect even from a viewing distance of 12 feet." 12' away?? 60" diagonal screen is ~52" wide. 12' / 52" = 2.76 viewing distance... way more than the average distance of 1.5, and he still saw screen door?

Am I missing something here?

T

· Registered
327 Posts
Projector central has one they are looking at right now, and the review is supposed to be up sometime next month with a comparison to the AE700, the new hitatchi, and the sony hs51.

· Registered
748 Posts
Well I just bit the bullet and bought one. I found a local authorized company that is going to do the install, as well as put my rear surrounds in and get me going with dish network Hd. One trip for all of this stuff. I am going to be ordering a screen from Carada by the end of the week. I think I am going with Hi def grey with a 96in 1:78:1 screen. System will not be installed untill Dec 3rd, since I do not close on my house untill the 23rd of Nov. but after that time, I will post my thoughts I am new to the projector world, so It will be basic info (how close to screen to see screendoor, VB picture colors, etc.). I just hope I made the right choice over the new panny 700.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.