AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a side-by-side comparison of the Pio 5020 and the Panny 50PZ800 today and noticed there was slightly more visible image on the Pio than the Panny. Have any of you PZ800/850 owners experienced overscan with these models to the point that banners are clipped at the top or bottom of the screen? My soon-to-be-retired Elite PRO530HD RPTV has had overscan issues from day one. I am planning to upgrade to either a 151FD or a 58PZ850 in the next week or so and really don't want to deal with that problem again. Thanks for your input.

Brian

· Registered
3,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMc /forum/post/15411323

I was doing a side-by-side comparison of the Pio 5020 and the Panny 50PZ800 today and noticed there was slightly more visible image on the Pio than the Panny. Have any of you PZ800/850 owners experienced overscan with these models to the point that banners are clipped at the top or bottom of the screen? My soon-to-be-retired Elite PRO530HD RPTV has had overscan issues from day one. I am planning to upgrade to either a 151FD or a 58PZ850 in the next week or so and really don't want to deal with that problem again. Thanks for your input.

Brian

There is slightly more overscan on the Panny than the Pioneer but you can totally eliminate overscan on both sets with 1080i or 1080p input since they both have dot by dot modes.

· Premium Member
18,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMc /forum/post/15411323

The Panasonic PZ series have two overscan settings - HD Size 2 which adds a few percent of overscan, and HD Size 1 which gives Zero overscan. The overscan setting should not be enough to clip any banners (mine never does).

Go back to the store and try the different settings in both TV's user menus and see what you think - you can't just go by the way they're just randomly set up in the store.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Randy, good to hear you aren't seeing any clipped banners, but I will take your advice and go back and do some hands-on comparisons. I was checking them out at the local BB where they hide all of the remotes to discourage tinkering. Maybe if I can wrestle away the Panny remote I will also be able to improve the blacks (which were closer to olive green with the store's adjustments). Is the HD Size 1/zero overscan mode the same as the dot-by-dot mode referred to in JazzGuyy's message or is that something else entirely?

· Premium Member
18,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/15413252

Doesn't the HD Size 2 reduce image size and add no overscan and the Size 1 image is larger due to overscan?

Did i get that backwards?

· Registered
2,821 Posts
Does anyone happen to know if the 800/850 allow the Size 1/Size 2 settings to be configured on a per input basis? For example, I'd like to set up my cable box on one HDMI input, my PS3 on the second HDMI input, use the THX mode for both, but configure the cable box to use Size 1 (overscan) and the PS3 to use Size 2 (no overscan).

I currently have a 42PZ77U and would like to upgrade to a 50". One of the things that really annoys me though is that I need to keep changing the Size setting when I go back and forth between my cable box and PS3. I get a lot of noise around the edges of my cable signal with no overscan and it would be great if I could have different overscan settings for each input.

· Registered
3,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind /forum/post/15417825

Does anyone happen to know if the 800/850 allow the Size 1/Size 2 settings to be configured on a per input basis? For example, I'd like to set up my cable box on one HDMI input, my PS3 on the second HDMI input, use the THX mode for both, but configure the cable box to use Size 1 (overscan) and the PS3 to use Size 2 (no overscan).

I currently have a 42PZ77U and would like to upgrade to a 50". One of the things that really annoys me though is that I need to keep changing the Size setting when I go back and forth between my cable box and PS3. I get a lot of noise around the edges of my cable signal with no overscan and it would be great if I could have different overscan settings for each input.

Unfortunately, no.

· Registered
3,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind /forum/post/15425821

Damn.

Happen to know if the 5020 can do it? I don't think my purchase would hinge on it, just curious.

The Elites certainly can and I believe the 5020 can too but I'm not sure since I don't own one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.