AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the sound of klipsch and I wanted to know if there is a website that sells new klipsch reference speakers below retail. Retail for the system I want to build is just too much money.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why did you return them? Not happy with their performance? Too bright sounding highs?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
abt.com sells them. You can do online chat or call them and probably get a better price than what's listed online.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks phil that is the type of response I was looking for.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru /forum/post/18183793

Why did you return them? Not happy with their performance? Too bright sounding highs?

I loved their imaging and ability to get in your face for movies. Unfortuantely the sensitivity is in the horned tweeter and without the amp I put on them the bass was really weak as the highs would easily leave them behind. My Paradigm bookshelves they replaced had a much smoother response and had smoother bass.

The straw that broke the camels back was that even in my treated room they would cause fatigue after a few minutes.. after watching Jurasic Park 3 during the scene where the plane crashes ( the sound of the plane prop was painful) I thought my head was going to explode... my wife experienced this as well so it wasn't just me. I broke them in and tried to like them but it's in no way my sound.

The only line I personally like from Klipsch is the THX Ultra 2 line which isn't bright at all and is freakin awesome for HT.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic /forum/post/18183833

abt.com sells them. You can do online chat or call them and probably get a better price than what's listed online.

That site sells klipsch RF82 sells for $1098.. that's very high...

find a dealer nearby... they all pay the same price and they should be ale squash that price..my dealer had $750 written on the speaekers... i didn't have to haggle him at all.

Be careful especially with speakers known to be bright.. returning them online could cost you big $$$ to return if you don't like them.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
cdy2179, what speakers did you end up getting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 /forum/post/18183998

I loved their imaging and ability to get in your face for movies. Unfortuantely the sensitivity is in the horned tweeter and without the amp I put on them the bass was really weak as the highs would easily leave them behind. My Paradigm bookshelves they replaced had a much smoother response and had smoother bass.

The straw that broke the camels back was that even in my treated room they would cause fatigue after a few minutes.. after watching Jurasic Park 3 during the scene where the plane crashes ( the sound of the plane prop was painful) I thought my head was going to explode... my wife experienced this as well so it wasn't just me. I broke them in and tried to like them but it's in no way my sound.

The only line I personally like from Klipsch is the THX Ultra 2 line which isn't bright at all and is freakin awesome for HT.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/18184754

Let them know that you are looking for replacements for the Rockets.

Ha ha...
that's cold....first I have to find something worthy for under $800 a speaker... something in-wall so I can go with a Preferated screen and preferable a Pro-style speaker (maybe Klipsch THX ultra 2 7800, TCA pro-10, I wish JTR made inwalls) ....and even if I do find a worthy replacement my wife loves the Rockets (I love'em too) so much they'll probably kick the Paradigms out of the living room and move in there... they look so good they make any room look better and the sound is very impressive.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 /forum/post/18184054

find a dealer nearby... they all pay the same price and they should be ale squash that price..my dealer had $750 written on the speaekers... i didn't have to haggle him at all.

Be careful especially with speakers known to be bright.. returning them online could cost you big $$$ to return if you don't like them.

+1 on a dealer unless you have heard and like them.

Ron

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 /forum/post/18184054

Like I said, you have to call and talk to a salesman to get the real price. They are good to bargain with. But it's also true about make sure that's what you want or else pay $$$ for shipping back as a return.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 /forum/post/18184816

Ha ha...
that's cold....first I have to find something worthy for under $800 a speaker... something in-wall so I can go with a Preferated screen and preferable a Pro-style speaker (maybe Klipsch THX ultra 2 7800, TCA pro-10, I wish JTR made inwalls) ....and even if I do find a worthy replacement my wife loves the Rockets (I love'em too) so much they'll probably kick the Paradigms out of the living room and move in there... they look so good they make any room look better and the sound is very impressive.

Have you considered the Atlantic Technology IWTS-30? They have some B-stocks available on their online store. AVS can get you great pricing on new stock as well.

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/de...asp?NodeId=134

·
Registered
3,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Alcasid /forum/post/18185393

Have you considered the Atlantic Technology IWTS-30? They have some B-stocks available on their online store. AVS can get you great pricing on new stock as well.

http://www.atlantictechnology.com/de...asp?NodeId=134

Thanks for the link...Yea.. I've looked at them.. I'm a little weary that they'd live up the the sound of the Klipsch Ultra 2 THX series or JTR or anything close to Pro speakers.

But the biggest thing is it would take 900w to make a 89db sensitive speaker to hit reference at my 15' seating distance... they only handle 200w....I'd have to sit 8' from them to hit reference with their 200w limit. At 15' threy only hit 99 dbs.

I don't count all the room gains when I do my SLP calculations as it only affects mid-bass and bass and it really seems to be a way for speakers manufacturers to cheat their way reference bragging rights... That's the only way these speakers can hope to hit reference from Ultra 2 distances are supposed to hit reference at 12' or greater (whatever greater is supposed to mean??)well at 12' it only hits 100.7 not 105 so I have no idea how they consider this reference... and this is using THX's own SPL calculator... you'd have to put it in the corner to hit barely reference at 12' and that would only boost the midbass and bass. I guess a THX Ultra 2 logo can be had if the price is right! It's just not quite efficeint enough nor does it have a high wattage limit to overcome the low sensitivity.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are looking for the Klipsch Reference RF82's specifically, Nebraska Furniture Mart has them for $549.99 I don't know what shipping would be though. Sorry, i couldn't post the direct URL, this is my first post. Hope this helps. nfm.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts