AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am getting ready to buy a plasma soon. I have read that some of the newer models are starting to play avi, mpeg video via the USB. Are there any plasma models that i can hook up my hard drive to the USB and play 1080P files?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,

The 2009 Series 6 and Series 8 Samsung plasmas can play many different video files including .mkv through a USB hard drive or flash drive. The storage device, however, must be in the FAT 32 file system so you are limited to 4 GB files. I recommend using Gparted if you want to create a volume larger than 32 GB.

I am not sure about any other brands.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah I was very impressed when I first saw that list too - very few devices can play so many different video files. It's a really nice feature and Samsung doesn't seem to advertise it enough in my opinion. As far as Panasonic plasmas go, I don't know why they're not as video friendly. Maybe Panasonic doesn't think it's important or they just don't care...your guess is as good as mine. In my opinion, they should expand video playback on their 2010 plasmas because the strong video support from Samsung is one of the main reasons why I bought a Samsung plasma and not a Panasonic. I'm sure some other buyers have based their decisions around this as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.