AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on using a Sharp DT-510 about 11'6" away from the screen, between 100-110"...

I was reading how Designer White has a higher gain and I would prefer something darker for some ambient light. We plan on having 4 sconces- 2 on each side dimmable (closest being 8' perpendicular to the screen) and 4 recessed lights- 2 in the front and two in the back (closest being 5ft from the screen but not used during use due to wall-mounted projector, the next set at about 14')...

I would prefer the ability to have a little more ambient light on which is why I'm leaning towards fashion gray as my laminate choice. I don't think the screen will be small enough to have any real hotspotting, can it still occur? Do you think there will be enough ambient light to cause a problem for DW (yes I know it depends on how high you turn them on, just an opinion)?

·
Registered
199 Posts
grey would be better with the light. read through the laminate thread its long but all the info you need is there. hotspotting for some I believe with the FG but a poly top coat takes care of it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of the main reasons I want to go with laminate is because it's so easy, just cut and place. I'd prefer not painting it etc. I think I'm gonna decide when I see how much ambient light I have when the basement is complete.

I did read through most of the thread but I couldn't find a lot of info on hot spotting. I was under the impression that it was mainly caused by a smaller screen? (am I wrong to assume this) Which led me to believe a 100-110" screen wouldn't have this problem..

·
Registered
142 Posts
How about a double sided screen. I am intrigued with making a screen with FG on one side and DW on the other. It would also be neat to have some king of way to swing it around easily and still be lines up correctly. That way it becomes a 2-in-1 screen. Or how about a frame with a protrusion at the top that houses a pull down screen. Maybe DW laminate as a fixed screen and a pull-down Da-lite hi-power for when there is ambient light, but somehow integrated to look like one screen. Another idea I've had which is similar. I have a 72" wide dresser in my bedroom. I would be nice to have this same integrated concept with a fixed mirror and then the ability to have the screen come down, again all integrated in one piece. That way I could put a projector above the headboard of the bed on a shelf, low enough to take advantage of a hi-power screen. My head would be about 12' away while lying in bed. Nice bedroom set-up.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm currently using Fashion Gray laminate for my screen. My projector (Mits HC1500) is ceiling-mounted ~13 feet back from the screen, and primary seating is ~ 14 feet from screen. I haven't seen any hotspotting issues, and the gray does surprisingly well with (reasonable levels of) ambient light.

The only issue I've had can be chalked up to operator error. My error was gluing the laminate to not only the perimeter of my frame, but also the center supports. Not a good idea - after a short while, as the frame tried to expand/contract, the areas in the middle where it was restrained by glue caused noticeable waves. I corrected that buy cutting the screen away from the frame in the center.

I really underestimated just how much expansion/contraction I'd get in my frame (in spite of using poplar, which I thought would be pretty stable). My now-perimeter-only-glued screen is still showing waves due to high summertime humidity. They're much bigger (in terms of area, not depth) and more gradual, so only really noticable on pans across uniform scenes (e.g. a sky view). But bothersome enough that eventually, I'm going to cut the laminate entirely loose from the frame, glue it to a backer board (1/4" luan, maybe?), and then re-attach it to the frame.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptirmal /forum/post/14260775

Planning on using a Sharp DT-510 about 11'6" away from the screen, between 100-110"...

I was reading how Designer White has a higher gain and I would prefer something darker for some ambient light. We plan on having 4 sconces- 2 on each side dimmable (closest being 8' perpendicular to the screen) and 4 recessed lights- 2 in the front and two in the back (closest being 5ft from the screen but not used during use due to wall-mounted projector, the next set at about 14')...

I would prefer the ability to have a little more ambient light on which is why I'm leaning towards fashion gray as my laminate choice. I don't think the screen will be small enough to have any real hotspotting, can it still occur? Do you think there will be enough ambient light to cause a problem for DW (yes I know it depends on how high you turn them on, just an opinion)?

I recall making comments some time back regarding Fashion Gray screens hotspotting. IIRC the hotspotting was primarily due to the narrow angle between the projector's centerline and the viewer's eyes. Setting up the screen with a wider angle between the projector centerline and the viewer's eyes seemed to solve the problem. In other words, you want to have the screen angular reflective rather than retroreflective.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGTX /forum/post/14348336

FremontRich,

Would you mind explaining that last line for me, I am a little dense today ? Thanks

Retroreflective means the reflection off the screen goes back to the source - stop signs are retroreflectors.

Angular reflection means the reflection bounces off the screen at the same angle it entered - same physics as a billiard ball bouncing off the edge of the pool table. To avoid hotspotting raise your projector and increase the angle between the projector's lens and your eyes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts