AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in San Jose Ca and have a new 50" GWII and would like to have it calibrated professionally. Where can I find someone to do this?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Paradox,

I would contact Robert Busch at Busch Home Theater in Santa Rosa. He came and calibrated my Hitachi in January and did a great job. You can look him up through ISF or do a google search on Busch Home Theater.

DV

·
Registered
853 Posts
Robert Busch is certainly a fine calibrator. You might also check at www.digitalfilmforum.com to see who is in your area. This is a site operated by Jim Burns and Kevin Miller, which houses areas for fellow calibrators to exchange information and ideas. In the "open" part of the forum, there is a section for calibrators to post where they are from and their contact information. :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Hi guy's

I live in Santa Cruz, but I have been driving that hill for nearly 15 yrs. I service San Jose about 3 times a week. I am not sure if it's OK to post a link to my website here, but I am not a retail store and I don't run a forum other than a link to this one, so here goes:
www.avconsulting.us

·
Registered
729 Posts
Seth and Coyotes both helped me train at my Fixed Pixel Display seminar. I recomend them both

·
Registered
853 Posts
Jim,

It was both an honor and a privilege.

Have you completed a schedule yet for other parts of the country, interspaced around the ISF seminars which you also host?

I know on www.digitalfilmforum.com that many other calibrators have expressed high interest and are eagerly waiting for you to be in their parts of the country.

Plus, when I am traveling, I know that I can count on dropping by for the latest info from you!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SethS
Hi guy's

I live in Santa Cruz, but I have been driving that hill for nearly 15 yrs. I service San Jose about 3 times a week. I am not sure if it's OK to post a link to my website here, but I am not a retail store and I don't run a forum other than a link to this one, so here goes:
www.avconsulting.us
Seth,

Do you ever make it all the way to the Sacramento area? My house will be finished in the next few months and after I move my Hitachi 65SWX20B in I wanted to get it calibrated.

If not, anybody you can recommend in the Sacramento/Roseville area?

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi guys-

I've been shopping for a calibrator in San Jose also. Here's what I've found. Grant Jacobson is a newbie, has the right equipment , and is hungry (inexpensive). He's at 408-605-4228.

Shane Buettner is well respected, but just moved to the top of the hill, and won't have time until at least June. 408 4991685.

Seth Schnaible is the friendliest. He's also has his fans, and can do the work about as well as it can be done. 821 459 9704

Robert Busch 650 302 2468 is a charter ISF member. He can adjust the gray scale and other service mode adjustments on my Hitachi (and some other models) and NOT void the warrentee. So he has credentials no one else has. He also may be pricey if you can't get him to wave travel expenses.

So here is my evil plan: We San Joseans (San Joseites?) band together and get Busch to wave travel to see us on a mutually agreed day. Otherwise we kidnap Seth, put a bag over his head, drive him to our homes and forcibly require him to custom calibrate our machines, take incriminating photos of him with a shapely but payable sweet young thing, get him high, and return him to Santa Cruz unharmed, exhausted, and sated.

Hey, I'm no expert--these are just my opinions. If you disagree, you probably have a valid point I'm unaware of.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Hi guy's

I had Robert Busch calibrate my tosh 57hdx82 set last month. All I can say is "WOW". He did and excellent job with my set. He fix my gray scale and other things on my set. I live in San Jose also and the price was right.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Quote:
Robert Busch 650 302 2468 is a charter ISF member. He can adjust the gray scale and other service mode adjustments on my Hitachi (and some other models) and NOT void the warranty. So he has credentials no one else has.
Robert is a great calibrator, but something needs to be clarified: Being a charter ISF member does not qualify him to make adjustments that do not void a warranty. The only possible way this is "official", is if in addition to or as an adjunct to being a calibrator, he is an Hitachi authorized service / warranty station.

Being ISF trained does not grant you anything in addition to the training.

Seth, et al, are equally adept at making adjustments that do not void warranties.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thanks all, for the kind words.

Andrew, yes I service that area on occasion. I usually try to promote using local servicers. In your area, there are several to choose from, such as Paradyme as well as others. If you would prefer my services, please email me, and I would be happy to discuss with you.

Bruce, good thinking, you get to plan my road trips. Thanks for offering the info, but you were 1 digit off: (831) 459-9704

·
Registered
37 Posts
Even more clarifications:

Robert Busch is specifically authorized by Hitatchi (and some other manufacturers) to preform service mode adjustments. All service mode adjustments made by techs that are not specifically authorized automatically void the warranty.

Mind you, I am a newbie here. But the info about Robert Busch come straight from his mouth. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my belief that Seth ( or anyone not specifically authorized by the manufacturer) would void the warranty.

That being said, there is a burden of proof issue. Just because a manufacturer wants to proclaim someone's warranty void, and providing evidence to support it are two different things. I doubt many (if any) ISF gray scale calibrators would cause harm to a set. So if harm did befall a set under warranty, it would behoove the owner of the set to find the reset button before taking it in for authorized service.

Finally, I believe I have knowingly potentially voided my warranty on my Hitachi 51 SWX20B by making the two following service mode adjustments:

1) set colorgo 01 (red push adjustment)

2) set G-STR-O 0 (neon lime green adjustment)

I thank the posters of those adjustments.

Being completely unknowlegable about many aspects of gray scale adjustment, isn't it possible to adjust the gray scale somewhat, knowing that the factory presets are off the scale? At least enough to tweak the gray somewhere closer than the factory settings?

·
Registered
22 Posts
On this same topic, does anyone KNOW what the factory reset button is for these 20B sets?? I've had some service guy out to my house 3 times already to try and fix my TV, and he's been playing around in the service adjustment menu and I think he's actually made it worse than before. Is there a factory reset button on my 51SWX20B I can push to get things back to how they were when it came from the facory??? Thanks!

-Matt

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
mattwiks,

Somewhere on here there should be settings (at least ISF menu settings) that show the default values in an Excel format. Check the Hitachi Threads.

DV

·
Registered
845 Posts
Just a final note. From everything I hear, Robert Bush is an excellent calibrator, and asked for by name. I hope to have as many people speak about and refer me some day. At any rate, I would like to make one clarification for the record. I as well am authorized by Hitachi to make service menu adjustments without voiding the warranty.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Me too! (Just in case Dammit! is looking at this) :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
It gits more an more innerestin.

Anywho, the dealer that sold me my set told me, warned me, exhorted me, threatened me that any service menu adjustment by anyone would void the warranty.

Heck, I believed him. Not that I intended to follow his advice, but I believed him.

That being said, I found Busch's pitch to be therefore overpowering.

I'm glad you'se guys is here to set me straight.

Thx.

That being said, Seth! Gimme a call! Waive dat friggin "over the hill" charge and come tune me up! Leave now!

No really. I'm available on almost a moments notice to do my machines. 408 629 0521.

·
Registered
853 Posts
There isn't an ISF section in the Service Mode for the benefit of repair techs that have never even heard of The Imaging Science Foundation. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yup. That do make sense.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had Seth out to do my Hitachi 51 SWX-20B yesterday. It was fun just talking to him, since he knows just about everything there is to know about everything there is to know about. Being a pragmatist, I felt the picture a little washed out when he was done, and proceeded to change user accesable settings in modes other than the one he specifically worked on. Of course, the gray scale is global, so I didn't go anywhere near there. I tweaked and tuned, got it so I thought it was right, then switched back to Seths's settings, and damn if mine didn't look worse. I figured my eyes were tired, and went out for several hours.

When I came back, I couldn't believe how awful my settings looked, and how "right" Seth's settings looked. Notable was a waterfall in HD that looked like a waterfall. There's a misty white cloud at the base of a waterfall. If you've seen one, you KNOW how it looks. Never before had I seen an accurate representation. Before it was always a simulation of what the event looked like, versus what the event looked like.

Anyway, never having had gray scale calibration before, I started marveling at textural accuracy in fabrics and white areas everywhere.

Of course, I still think most people will never notice.

But I will.

Thanks, Seth.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.