AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Sharp Notevision PG-A10X for a little over a month. Just died yesterday – I bought it at Costco for $999, they didn’t have them anymore so they just gave me my money back. (Man, I love Costco!). It didn’t have the world’s greatest picture but it did have a decent picture. What I liked most about the A10X is: 1024x768 Resolution, Bright picture (can’t control light in this room) and maybe most important is the long bulb life and replacement bulb cost. I have a Sony G70 CRT projector in the home theater for HDTV and movie watching, the Sharp is for just regular TV watching, Playstation games for the kids etc. This projector is for high hour use and I don’t want to buy a new bulb every 6 months at $400-$600 a wack! I have a Sharp DLP Z90U with 800 or so hours on it that I don’t use because the lamp replacement is so much and the life is too short!

My question is should I just get another A10X from somewhere or is there another projector under $2000 with good brightness and bulb life that I should consider. I ran the A10X in econo mode and the bulb was supposed to last much longer than any other projectors I have found. I was thinking about the Z2 but I don’t think it will be bright enough and I can’t find anywhere that gives me the bulb life. Anyone have a Z2 and a A10X? How does the real brightness compare? What about bulb life?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip on the Mitsubishi, I'll have to check one out. Do you have one? How is it for the rainbow issue? I think it only has a 2x color wheel...

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If bulb life is your thing, I believe some of the Philips models boast 6K hours. Interestingly enough, I think they are a bulb manufacturer as well.

gp

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I hope I have better luck than Mike with my PG A10X - at 93% left in little over a month I was wondering if its standard for projectors to quit when they get to 0% like the Sharp?

If I could make it all the way through the 3000 hours or so why shouldn't I be able to keep it going until if fails versus having a forced replacement?

·
Registered
243 Posts
No, I don't have a Mitsubishi XD-300, nor have I seen one, but it looks like a very nice projector (very similar to the NEC LT240/LT260) as per the specs. I've heard conflicting stories about rainbows though, so you might want to take a good look before buying.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Did just the bulb go on the A10X or did the whole unit die?

Some of the Epson PJs have bulbs that are in the ~$200 range.

The S1 (?) I think and the Home 10. The S1 doesn't have a zoom

lens and it is a LCD so the CR would be less than most DLPs. It

is also SVGA.

The A10X is the least expensive XGA PJ that I have seen.

I got my A10X about the middle of Dec. and I really like it. The lower

CR doesn't bother me a bit because the quality of most DVDs

isn't good enough to even obsess about it.

b2b

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry - I should have been more specific... The bulb didn't die the projector did. Was watching something and it just shut down. The little red standby light wouldn't even come on.

I may just get another one because the brightness was good and the picture was OK.

I'm going to look at a few today.

I have considered the X1 but it's not as bright, lower resolution and the rainbow issue. I still may get one because it is for casual use - movies are downstairs on the G70.

Thanks for all the input!

-Mike

·
Registered
420 Posts
The Mitsu XD300u gets 4000 hours without having to use an economy mode. There is no economy mode. Projectors with eco modes generally cut the lumens by half which is not what you need from the sounds of it.

I've had the Mitsu for about a month and it's fantastic. It is a 2x wheel with the DDR chip. For what it's worth, I saw an occasional rainbow when I first got it on white/black credit scrolls. My first DLP so it was interesting to see what all the rainbow fuss was about. After using it as my main tv for a month I can't even make myself see a rainbow anymore. Colors are perfect on this pj and you'll appreciate the higher XGA resolution. Price is now equal to the LT240k so those are the big 2 I'd recommend.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mike,

My Sharp PG-A10X that I bought from Costco last November just died in the same way! I had about 90% bulb left or around 500 hours on it so far, much like you as well... And the problem is the same. It was on, I was in the other room and came back and it had shut off.

Since then I've been unable to plug it in and get the red standby light to come on, ... the same as you. I wonder if Costco got a bad batch?

I wonder if Costco will help me out as well, even though I purchased it almost 9 months ago... And even if they would last time I was in I noticed they don't carry the A10X anymore just the worse A10S model. Did you find another A10X to get?

thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I haven't checked it out but aren't these still under some sort of warrentee in the first year? I have a Sharp PG A10x as well and I thought Sharp had that overnight replacement service available (Mine is still working so haven't had to try out the service)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.