AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone can help me out here, I'd appreciate it greatly.

I have an RCA 38310 38" HDTV. I've been trying to get it fixed for months and have run into one obstacle after another.

The first tech CC sent me replaced caps and diodes, but the problem remained. He wasn't RCA Authorized so couldn't ask for the DM-1 module to see if that was the problem.

Then I was sent an RCA guy, and after a frustrating 20-30 mins of demonstrating the problem with multiple DVD's he FINALLY saw what I was talking about while watching the Travel Channel on cable:

My tv is like looking out a dirty window. You can see sort of light-medium grey spots or streaks all through the picture. Looks just like someone with graphite on their fingers was fingering the glass. Don't know how else to describe it. For the longest time I thought it was dirt on the exterior, but no amount of cleaning helped. The problem appears on all video sources regardless of type or cable, BUT is difficult to see if you don't know what you're looking for or don't have the right viewing material. You need something that produces enough contrast with the "streaks and smudges" for them to be visible, but they seem to be always there and completely stationary. Once your eyes adjust you can see it on an all white screen, or even a light blue sky or a bright desert. I first noticed it during the opening of Episode II when the Senator's ship and fighers arrive on Coruscant in all the clouds and fog. What looked like dirt was very obvious in the camera pans. At first I thought maybe they shot it with a dirty lens, but then I realized it was always there. You can even see the problem in tan or beige walls, but it's easiest to see when the camera moves since the spots aren't that dark. The movement reveals them since they are completely stationary.

CC has it in their center in Philly now (they're the only ones who would move it for me), and the tech guy I talked with today can't see the problem, and I obviously am not there to point it out for him. This is VERY frustrating!! He suggested some of my other equipment might be causing the problem, but it doesn't look like any kind of interference problem I've ever seen; I've had the Center Channel off the set for hours and the problem still showed itself. (Unless being unplugged all that time degaussed it now, but I'd have expected some kind of color bloom near the top of the screen, not grey spots and streaks all through the picture)

I've seen a few other people on this board who have had the same type of problem with this TV or other large direct-view sets, so I think it must be a rare, but real problem. Even the loaner I have now seems to have the problem, but not as severe.

Does ANYONE know what this is so I can give the tech guy a clue? Otherwise, I'll just have to have them give it back and call back the guys in Camp Hill who DID see the problem and try to figure out how to move it for them. I hate to move it myself (again) and assume all that risk. I'll have nothing if I drop it.

Somebody throw me a bone, PLEEEEASE! :confused:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? Anyone?

I read in another thread where someone had a 35" tv that had a "slightly discolored picture tube." He said it was only noticeable on white screens. This almost has to be the same problem as mine. The store gave him full credit for it. I just wish the service guy could see it. Maybe he needs glasses.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
solo88,

Sorry for the late post. I forgot about this thread and never read your post until doing a search today and came across your question. Hopefully you have your TV fixed by now but if not he was my dilema. The original discoloration started from using unshielded speakers above the TV. I had KLH speakers at the time I bought the TV and replaced them later with shielded Infinity speakers. The discoloration went away for quite some time but came back later on. It was not that noticable on the TV except when a solid color was in the lower left portion of the screen. The TV techs tried degaussing the screen and it would be solved for several hours. They eventually determined that the picture tube was bad.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, but I've gone the degaussing route and my problem isn't related to magnetic inteference. I did almost mess it up that way recently when I got the set back and put my center on with the TV on. The color bloom went away when I took the speaker away, and as long as I put it on BEFORE putting the set on I had no magnetic field problems. My center must be well shielded, but since it's rather large it was still causing problems when the set was on.

I think its a discolored picture tube that I have. I have somebody coming to look at it today, but I have a bad feeling its the same person who looked at it the first time and got me nowhere.

I think the set has only gotten worse. There's distortion near the center of the screen in vertical streaks now too, near-colorless, light-graphite-like in appearance. Hard to describe, but not what you see from magnets.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
Are you sure you're center channel is shielded good? I have a JBL S-Center and a Polk CSi40 and they are both large center channel speakers and neither of them have caused me any issues at all. Like I mentioned before, I left the KLH speakers too close for too long on my TV and it was too late at that point. The first tech that came out didn't do much but say that it was a magnetic field causing the issue but both speakers I was using at the time were well shielded. The second visit I had Best Buy send another tech from a different company and he declared a bad picture tube which caused Best Buy to give me a replacement (I did buy the 4 year warranty which in this case was well worth the $99).

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Again, it's not a magnetic field problem. My Cerwin Vega Center Channel is well shielded. I suspect I only have problems wihen the set it on from the front of the speaker when positioning it. Again, my problem does not even slightly resemble the problems you get from speakers being too close to the TV. The problem plagues about 80% of the screen to various degrees with none of the uniformity of a bloom you'd get from a speaker, and again is not a color distortion so much as a brightness distortion. The set had the problem from the beginning, but if anything it has gotten worse. I notice a darker area near the bottom left-center of the screen I didn't used to see, and a vertical streak right of center which is fairly inconsistent with the rest of the screen in regards to brightness. There's a vertical streak more than a third of the way from the left side, and there were always the "finger streaks" near the upper right corner that go maybe 20% down the height of the set, and various mottled spots throughout most of the rest of the screen. Near dead-center it's best, but even there not much area that's "clean".

Somebody else had the theory in another thread I believe about a poorly attached shadow-mask, and I believe that theory is correct. A screen this size with curvature probably makes it difficult. I definitely got one of the worst ones.

The tech yesterday believed it's probably a shadow mask-picture tube problem like I've thought pretty much from the beginning.

Unfortunately, before RCA will authorize tube replacement, they're making them take it into the shop to use some scopes on it to check it out. Adjusting the focuses of the TV did absolutely nothing to the distortion as displayed on a grey screen, and I think the tech is convinced enough already, but RCA wants more proof. Now, CC will have to pay for a moving company to pick up the set and take it in. That means my TV cabinet will probably get even more scuffed up than it did when Circuit City took it before. I'm going to call RCA and see if they make any touch-up. Pisses me off. It looked flawless before.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had the 38-inch Proscan 38000 (it's the same as the RCA 38310 that you have). I had basicly had the same problem. Mine were uneven blotches on the screen. Almost like waterstains. The only time I would really see it is on really light background fields. Mostly on white or light blue like a moving screen with white snow or big light blue skies. It showed up the most in Hi-def. My RCA tech. told me that no television has a perfect white raster field. This problem shows up most on televisions over 27-inches. It varies from set to set. One set can look better then others. All big tube sets have it to some degree. It can be harder to tell with some sets, but they still have it in some way. This is due to the fact that coating a big tube with phosphor evenly is hard. That is why there are blotches where the phosphor didn't coat as thick or as well. It's like painting over a 1ft x 1ft piece of tile and painting over a wall that is 25ft x 25ft. The small piece will appear evenly painted, the big wall if you look closely will have slight shade differences across it. Some small areas will look a little lighter then the rest. I doubt RCA will replace it for that reason unless it is bad beyond reasoning. My tech. said RCA would not replace mine. I got used to it. It was just a little annoying to have it on a set I spent so much on. The set died on me in 6 months anyway and I got my money back in the end. I got the 34-inch Sony 34xbr800 this time and I'm pretty happy with it. And YES.... it has some of the same waterstains. This set has a heck of alot less. Mostly towards the edges of the screen. It's 4 inches smaller then my last set, so it's easier to coat evenly with phosphors. The fact it's a Sony helps.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input; I concur, but hope RCA will replace mine because I think it IS bad beyond reason. 1, 2, or even 3 noticeable areas would be acceptable I suppose, but mine seems really escessive. Like I said there's very little area unaffected. If they were just small blotches it would be one thing, but the fact that some of it is in the form of long streaks, (almost radial in nature near the upper right corner) really makes the problem stand out. Looks like really shoddy work to me.

I would think the flat screens would be considerably easier to coat evenly. The RCA is almost flat in the center of course, and that's where it looks best, but sadly still not good. You can see all the "waterspots" on any solid color field (magenta and green or yellow I think being the most obvious )on the AVIA disc and on all but the darkest gray fields.

Always scary when you fascinate the tech guys with an AVIA disc. Do these guys actually use anything? I feel like maybe I should loan it to them when they take the set in. Just so I get it back.

If they won't replace the tube, I'll learn to live with it because there's nothing comparable for the price I paid, but I really think there has to be a better tube out there for it. Sadly, if CC had gotten off its ass earlier they'd have been able to give me a new one. Now they can't find any locally.

I find it an amazingly sad commentary that in all the years they've been making TV's they haven't come up with a way to apply the phosphor evenly. I totally believe that's the case, but still, sad. Then again, we're still using ceramic tile to protect spacecraft....

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
I did rca technical support until about 2 years ago. When those widescreen sets came out somewhere around 2000, many of them had picture quality issues. A problem that should well be fixed by now. They were afraid to call it a recall but that's what it really was. Man, people would rightfully call daily until that situation got cleared up. They had to wait until the plant cranked out a slew of newly minted tubes. I personally fielded a call from a guy at the local plant who informed me the new tubes were just being shipped. The new sets were sent to the cons and the defective ones were taken away by the same carrier in one shot. Again, this happened just over 2 years ago & should no longer be an issue, but that's what it sounds like your case.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting information. I had one of the later models of the set, but if anyone would get a later-made freak problem set it would be me.

Still waiting to hear back from the latest servicer. They were trying to arrange a moving company to pick up my set. That was last Thursday. Guess I should give them a call tomorrow if I don't hear from them.

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
If your'e still under warranty I would definitely call the manufac and bend their ear a bit. I happen to know there are things they could do to resolve this.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My servicer called me back yesterday, but the woman I talked to really didn't know what was going on.

She asked me if I still required service. I told her what the tech told me about arranging a moving company to pick up the TV for them to take in and how they were going to try to get my service contract to pay for it.

She wasn't even sure that their tech had even been here last week. Amazing.

She said she'd talk to the tech and get back to me today. We'll see.

When I talked to RCA tech before all they did was give me the number of a servicer. CC sent me that company anyway. They wanted to take it, but didn't have the resources to move it and CC told me my service plan didn't cover moving the TV out of the home at that time. They're not saying that anymore since I talked to a higher member of the local CC and he inisted that since it's an in-house service plan on a large set that if they must take the set in, moving the set IS included. Still, it's obviously not going anywhere or getting fixed too fast. I can't believe they have to take it in to look at it with a scope instead of just sending the necessary equipment along with the tech or techs. Seems like they're doing it the hard way to me. Sounds like RCA is just dragging its feet because it doesn't want to pay to replace the tube. Hoping I give up.

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
Yeah... I've seen this situation many times before: a consumer such as yourself putting out a ton of money then getting stuck between the manufac & the servicer. If the manufac's Consumer Relations dept refuses to resolve this (and they should'nt under warranty) and the servicer cannot correct it in a timely fashion, you may have to get your local BBB and or AG involved. After all, you put out your hard-earned money for this product.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
solo88,

Sorry to hear about all your troubles w/ RCA.

I bought an open box today at CC (w/ 3 yr serv warr), and I paid particular attention to the problems you described. I didn't see any so hopefully I'll luck out. If it's any consolation you helped me out big time.

THANX,

loco

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.