AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know versions of this question have been asked before.

Are there any real differences or are the spec sheets just manipulated to make it look like there are true picture differences?

I am specifically interested in native on/off contrast. Are the panels the same generation? If so they should deliver similar on/off native contrast (i.e. without iris involvement).

I currently own a 1080UB and went to audition a 6100 for friend last night. The 6100 did not appear to have a real image quality improvement over the 1080UB watching Batman Begins which has a good number of dark scenes. Setting the auto iris to on or off did not seem to help the image much. The real limitation to the image (which was still very good) was the intraframe native contrast.

Will the 6500/7500 be any better 6100? My suspicion is that the 6500/7500 simply use more aggressive contractions of the iris to get higher contrast numbers but the true image quality is almost the same between the two.

Am I correct? Does anyone know for sure?

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hi Mr. Wiggles,

Although they are both D7, most of the pieces I've read online state that the 6500/7500 are C2Fine, where the 6100/7100 are not. I imagine the 6100/7100 don't have the polarizing UB pre-filter. Also, the biggest improvement in this years D7 C2Fine seems to be the fact that the crystal lattice is aligned closed when manufactured, and actively opened during operation rather than the opposite.

I haven't seen either, so, this is just based on what I've read.

Jonathan

·
Registered
737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWigggles /forum/post/15565584

Are there any real differences or are the spec sheets just manipulated to make it look like there are true picture differences?

Will the 6500/7500 be any better 6100? My suspicion is that the 6500/7500 simply use more aggressive contractions of the iris to get higher contrast numbers but the true image quality is almost the same between the two.

Am I correct? Does anyone know for sure?

Absolutely, there will be a big difference. I've seen the 6100, and I'd say it's a substantial step down from the 1080UB.

The 6500/7500 use inorganic panel technology that Epson, Sanyo and Panasonic have put into every 1080p projector before this generation. The latest generation of the panels are what make the 6500UB capable of outperforming the 1080UB (to oversimplify).

The Sanyo Z700 and the Epson 6100/7100 both use organic panels (the same old technology used in 720p LCD projectors for a long time now) which not only break down substantially faster than inorganic panels, but also do not allow for nearly the same level of contrast.

The organic panel based projectors do not have nearly the blacks or contrast that last year's inorganic panel projectors had, and this year's inorganic panel projectors are even better.

If I was in the market for a projector, I'd either be looking at a 720p (same basic technology as the Z700 and 6100/7100) and save a few bucks or I'd buy a 1080p projector with inorganic panels. There's a very noticeable difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts