AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Differences between the 5002 consumer and 5001 commercial models have been covered elsewhere, but I’m wondering (hoping?) if anyone has by now had the chance to setup the 5001 and report back on their experience.

The online retailer Constant Fusion www.constantfusion.com mentioned by ericbee in another thread has the Fujitsu 5001 available at an appealing price, and forum member experiences with the 5002 seem positive to date.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Fujitsu PDS5001 is just the Panasonic TH50PWD3 with Fujitsu's name on the bezel instead of Panasonics. Their 60" is the Zenith plasma. They aren't using their own proprietary technology for the 50's and 60's.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Quote:
The Fujitsu PDS5001 is just the Panasonic TH50PWD3 with Fujitsu's name on the bezel instead of Panasonics
That is completely untrue. Fujitsu uses Panasonic plasma panels, as they don't make their own 50" glass, but the electronics are entirely Fujitsu's.

Quote:
Their 60" is the Zenith plasma
Fujitsu doesn't offer a 60" plasma.

·
Registered
604 Posts
lbelton - The 50" Fujitsu uses Panasonic glass, but that's it.

Different guts completely. I don't know what your source of information is but I must contest your assertion. I own the 5002 and it is perceptible better than the 50" Panasonic. The Panasonic is very, very good - but not as good as the latest Fujitsu.

This is verified by several owners and others. The descaler is proprietary to Fujitsu. The 5001/5002 arrive from the factory with a DVI interface. Panasonic has no such interface yet.

regards,

patrick

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I concur; many forum members observed visible differences between these panels at CEDIA, although the differences were slight and some preferred one panel, and some preferred the other. The electronics do make a difference, just how much remains a bit to be seen.

Pete Putnam, whose excellent review of several plasmas can be found at his website ( www.projectorexpert.com ) or in the current edition of The Perfect Vision, has a 5002 and is currently evaluating it.

My point is that I'm not so sure what the differences are between the 5001 and 5002, so if someone knows that, please elaborate, either on the forum, by PM or email. Thanks.

Pete may be posting a short review of the 5002 on his website, so check it occasionally if you are interested. Since he has evaluated the Panasonic 50 in great detail, his comments on this point will be quite illuminating.

Cheers

·
Registered
871 Posts
Per Fujitsu's plasma manager, there are only three differences.

Frame: 5001-grey; 5002-silver.

FCC Rating: 5001-Class A; 5002-Class B. 5002 should present less IR remote control problems.

Warranty: 5001-one year; 5002-3 years.

Neither has an audio amplifier or audio outputs!

Please take the time to register your feelings regarding this crucial omission to: [email protected]

Hopefully he can persuade the powers that be of the importance of WAF (ie simplicity of use) in purchase decisions of this magnitude.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Quote:
FCC Rating: 5001-Class A; 5002-Class B. 5002 should present less IR remote control problems.
Does the FCC address IR radiation? I thought it was only concerned with RF radiation. Inquiring minds.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.