AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wanted the pioneer elite 82 series but with all the fimware talk it put a sour taste on the pioneer . how do these compare on an audio and video aspect ? is one maybe better than the other and for what reason ? btw they have basically the same upscaling abilities dont they ?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
You can read my review on epinions.

In summary (reasons not to buy it):

* Expensive

* Awkward remote control

* Runs hot

* Network capabilties ok, but the interface is awkward; Limited format support (no AAC for iTunes users)

* "possible" LFE issue (depending on who you ask)

I believe they compare very well for from a sound quality perspective. If scaling is important to you, wait for the Audioholics review of the 2700; hopefully Gene will give us some concrete tests. I don't know what kind of power the Pioneer puts out, but the 2700 puts out more than I need. Streaming internet radio has been a cool feature to have when I have people over. If you like music variety and don't have/want something like the Squeezebox its nifty. The 2700 is Simplay certified according to the web site. The 2700 has 3 HDMI inputs; not sure about the Pioneer you are looking at. The 2700 has (IMHO) a awkward method for switching surround modes.

I bought mine because Yamaha has been good to me, and it has a lot of power and a pretty thorough feature set.

·
Registered
270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/0

You can read my review on epinions.

In summary (reasons not to buy it):

* Expensive

* Awkward remote control

* Runs hot

* Network capabilties ok, but the interface is awkward; Limited format support (no AAC for iTunes users)

* "possible" LFE issue (depending on who you ask)

I believe they compare very well for from a sound quality perspective. If scaling is important to you, wait for the Audioholics review of the 2700; hopefully Gene will give us some concrete tests. I don't know what kind of power the Pioneer puts out, but the 2700 puts out more than I need. Streaming internet radio has been a cool feature to have when I have people over. If you like music variety and don't have/want something like the Squeezebox its nifty. The 2700 is Simplay certified according to the web site. The 2700 has 3 HDMI inputs; not sure about the Pioneer you are looking at. The 2700 has (IMHO) a awkward method for switching surround modes.

I bought mine because Yamaha has been good to me, and it has a lot of power and a pretty thorough feature set.

ditto what he said

plus ill add at this level of unit they all have pros and cons but i felt the yamaha had the least and its my fourth one

·
Registered
735 Posts
I haven't had any problems or errors with my 2700 in the 2 months I've had it. There's a couple things I wish they would have done differently. Specifically being able to set the 2nd surrounds and presence speakers to external amp only, actually all the outputs for that matter. They have this for the zone 2 & 3 outs so why not all the rest? People complain about the remote but I think the remotes great. However its not as powerful emitter as the similar remote I had on my RX-V1300. That thing would work from 100 ft it seemed. The biggest reasons to get the Yammy is quality of sound and features. Their DSP is quite good. It takes awhile to get used to it and become familiar with which modes do what. One thing about this and others too, GET THE XM RADIO for it. I just got it and I listen to it all the time. This morning I had it on for 2 hours. I like it better than internet radio. Its not cheap but what a nice source of digital music always ready. Also, I don't think there is any LFE issue with the 2700. It is set as HDMI1.2a and any problems are more likely due to the source signal. Another reason imo to wait for HD/BR DVD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking at the 2 same options. I do know Pioneer uses the Faroudja DCDi chip to upscale to 480P, 720P, 1080i; while the Yammy uses a new (highly touted on Audioholics) chip by Anchor Bay Tech. I just bot the Sony LCD 40V2500 1080p (native) TV, so I'm thinking the better video upscaler will push a better picture for SD analog/cable sources. I do have DirecTV also, but not everything is HD yet.

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR5009, AppleTV 4K, Sony KDL-55W900A, M&K s-125 lcr, M&K SS-150 surround, SVS 16-46pci sub
788 Posts
Garbage in Garbage out. Unless you have something super high end like a Snell and Wilcox or Terranex level video processor you will not get a better picture out of SD. Even with those you probably won't get anything better you will just get all of the crappy video information resolved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.