AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming I don't ever care to record HD (which I don't), is there any reason to keep both? DTV is giving me a hefty credit toward an HD receiver (I'm leaning toward the Zenith 1080).

I currently have a HiPix card, but also someone willing to buy it. I can only use the credit towards the receiver and must keep a DTV contract for a year (OK with me). I also only have 2 inputs on my 9500LC, so unless I run the DSSHD through a switcher ($$$$ plus possible PQ degratation), I can't use the HiPix and DSS through the HD15 direct input. The other input is for the Radeon for DVD. I do not want to hassle with moving the HD15 plug back and forth between units.

I'm thinking of selling the HiPix, taking the credit, and getting the best receiver I can...the cost will be minimal, and I'm interested in HDNet and the 2 HD movie channels (discovery too soon).

I'm not the most computer literate guy (I'm learning but slowly, and have trouble getting HiPix figured out), and just don't see why I wouldn't just use the DSS receiver to get my OTA HD...that part isn't coded or compressed is it?

I thought about waiting for the new boxes (ie Zenith again), but the offer from DTV is for now only...and if I accept all my HD in 1080i, the "switch on back" issue shouldn't affect me (I think).

Does anyone see any holes in my plan? I'm willing to listen, but frustrated with trying to get HiPix figured out. I love the HTPC for DVD, but even then I can't follow all the fine tuning tweaks and computer lingo you guys talk about. I just want basic funtionality, with pristine PQ. This way both HD and DVD have their own direct cable feeds to the PJ.

I value your opinions...I never would have tried the HTPC without them, but I do want DSS anyway, and isn't the OTA HD the same as with the HiPix?

·
UHD Addict
38,369 Posts
If you don't want to record any HDTV OTA than what reason would you need a HiPix card. I have two of them and that's what I use them for. to record OTA HDTV. I use my DTV HDTV receiver for their HD channels which I have to watch in real time.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When AVS built my PC, I bought that option because I had no HD DSS receiver. Now that the option of one is here, I was thinking of selling the HiPix.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Sounds to me you like you should get the Set-top box, and get rid of the HiPix. If you don't use recording, there is no point in using the Hipix

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.