AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to pick up board to cover my riser and stage. I am not going all out to completley optimize sound, I will be insulating the riser but not going through roofing paper and multiple layers of playwood. I will be filling the stage with Kiln dried sand as well.

Knowing that I'm not going all out to optimize sound is there any reason that I should get plywood over particle board?

Thanks,

-Eric

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hmmn, I don't know about the impact of it, but generally particle board is a lot denser than plywood. Maybe that's a good thing?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I went about building the riser like it was a sub floor and used materials that the carpenters would use making a sub floor which was half inch plywood.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I used that OSB board out of economy's sake and it works great. To this point I haven't found any reason why I should have gone the plywood route. With the OSB I was able to do 2 sheets for half the cost of one sheet of plywood with half the thickness.

·
Registered
156 Posts
What ever you go with make sure you have enough support. If you visit my website you can see the construction of how I built my floor. I used to frame houses for few years thus I knew I wanted TONS of support. You would walk an elephant on my riser. ;)

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Pros:

1) is cheap

2) it's density may be a benefit for sound deadining.

Cons:

1) Very heavy per sheet. You will need help to wrestle those 4x8 sheets.

2) Dulls blades very quickly. Even expensive carbide.

3) HD will no longer cut it in some states due to health concerns. So much for pre-cutting at the store. And you really don't need that stuff in your lungs either.

4) Cracks and chips very easily. Cannot be used as a bullnose edge, would snap off at the slightest pressure.

Do yourself a favor. Just use multiple sheets of 3/4 plywood and roofing felt inbetween.

Anothet bit of advice. Don't go crazy to dry your sand. Damp sand out of the bag is fine. Let it sit in the stage cavity overnight before covering. This is enough drying. Some people here waste too much time and effort on this. It will dry on it's own in a few weeks. The moisture the wood absorbes during that short time is not going to rot it. It takes many years to cause rot. Wood and concrete are porus. Thew moisture will just harmlessly evaporate. Now if you have slab moisture, then even the dryest sand is going to get wet in a few weeks anyway. You need to fix or isolate any slab moisture. Putting pure dry play sand on a moisture prone slab is a fruitless exercise.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
You could always do 1 sheet of CDX and then 1 sheet of OSB over that.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I didn't have any problems cutting it with my $20 Black and Decker single speed jigsaw with a 1 year old blade that's cut a wack of stuff so that dulls blades thing seems a bit funny to me.

True enough they are heavy but what I did was buy a Stanley drywall sheet carrier for $6 that allowed me to EASILY carry a 4x8 sheet of OSB around by myself and I'm not a terribly strong person.

And I wouldn't know about bullnosing it but I know the carpet installer did a very nice rounded edge on my riser with no bullnosing so I don't see the big deal myself.

If you're on a budget, go with the OSB.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cowtown
I didn't have any problems cutting it with my $20 Black and Decker single speed jigsaw with a 1 year old blade that's cut a wack of stuff so that dulls blades thing seems a bit funny to me.

True enough they are heavy but what I did was buy a Stanley drywall sheet carrier for $6 that allowed me to EASILY carry a 4x8 sheet of OSB around by myself and I'm not a terribly strong person.

And I wouldn't know about bullnosing it but I know the carpet installer did a very nice rounded edge on my riser with no bullnosing so I don't see the big deal myself.

If you're on a budget, go with the OSB.
Are you cutting OSB or Partical board? There's a difference. OBS is fine, it's just pressed scraps of wood. Partical board on the other hand is saw dust bound with a hard plastic resin. It's tough on any cutting tool.

I'm not saying don't use it. I do in fact. But it does dull tolls and that's a mark against it.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Yeah sorry I thought we were talking about OSB this whole time. ;)

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I used OSB as well. Three layers with foofing felt in between. Heavy on the joist system. Filled with insulation. Screwed to joists.

I built a 2x6 deck, essentially using joist hangers. I applied glue to the joist hanger slots before installing the 2x6 joists to reduce squeaks. The entire operation was raised up on 2x6 legs to get to the 9" height I wanted. Very, very stable.

Side note... with the advice of Chris Collins from CCE I also drilled three 4" holes in the front face of the riser and carpeted over. The riser is a big esonator now.

Ted

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I'm in the lumber business, and I highly recommend not using particle board. It's not meant to span between joists with a live and dead load.

OSB or Plywood would be best. The veneers in plywood are cross-laminated and the strands in OSB are oriented for strength. Both have grade stamps that indicate the on-center spacing of joists for use as a floor or roof system.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted White
Side note... with the advice of Chris Collins from CCE I also drilled three 4" holes in the front face of the riser and carpeted over. The riser is a big esonator now.

Ted
Funny, I thought people put sand and insulation in their stages and risers to prevent them from being bass resonators.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Tox,

Check out the latest issue of Home Theater Builder. Dennis recommended cutting holes along the perimeter of a riser. Not to create resonance, but rather to relieve bass loading along the back wall.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Sand is in the stage, because there are generally sub(s) on them. Insulation is generally used in the risers.

Ted

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
particle board isnt that hard on blades.. it just needs a sharp blade to start out with for a clean job... used to install car stereos back in the late 80's early 90's this is all we used.. as far as using it for the stage id go with particle board as was stated its not ment for weight.. and it does degrade over time. though it has gotten better.. as far as it being a health concern osha would be shutting down 99% of al furnature companies for its use in furnature. also there is no material handling and safety sheet .. plus one should always wear a mask and safety goggles when using power tools like this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.