AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've got yet another newbie-type question. I recently bought a Hughes E86 DirecTV HDTV receiver to go along with our DirecTIVO. For the TIVO, we always leave the power on, because TIVO will be recording programs that either we program or it decides we might like.

On the E86, which we will only use occasionally in order to watch HDTV programming, I noticed that the unit generates heat even when the power is off; that is, only if we unplug it does it appear to stop "working." If this is the case, is there any advantage to turning the unit "off" with the on/off switch? Are there parts that will wear out if the unit is kept on, even though we're not viewing the signal? Does the unit use more power when it is on than when it is off?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I turn the power off with a remote macro that turns all the equipment on and off at once. With the E86, it probably doesn't make much difference but it could help and won't hurt. I wouldn't use the switch on the box because they can break. I've never lost a button on the remote.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pat: Do you use a separate universal remote for your equipment? If so, which do you recommend? Almost all of my remotes (I'm up to like 5 now) claim to be programmable to control the other components, but none seem to be fully able to control all the functions I need, particularly the instant replay button on my DirecTIVO. Are you aware of one that will accomplish that so I can stick all the others in a draw?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
There's a remote control forum in the home theatre area. Check there. I have Marantz units that are a bit outdated now. You need a learning remote. I like the kind with tactile buttons and an LCD screen to create custom labels for odd buttons.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Pat, wont he need to turn of the E86 to get the software updates??

Fred, if you are in the market for a low-priced, heavy bang for the buck remote, try the Radio Shack 2116. It has a code set for Tivo, so I would think that Directivo would be there too. It is also a learnig remote, but this is this remotes greates weakness is its limimted memory.

·
Registered
552 Posts
When I had my E86 clone I went so far as removing the power from it every night via a power conditioner. I suppose one could argue that such a practice might shorten the unit's life, but that thing draws about 50 watts and generates enough heat to fry an egg even when it's off.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dirk1843
Pat, wont he need to turn of the E86 to get the software updates??

Depends what you mean by "software". If you mean like operating software, theres only been about 2 updates in a couple years anyway. If you mean simple Program Guide data and such, it doesnt need to be turned off for that.

I never even bother turning mine off at night because as Dave says, unless you flatout unplug it there really isnt any difference.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
I have been losing my Program Guide lately which requires a reboot to get it working again. I may end up disconnecting it when not in use.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikey mo
I have been losing my Program Guide lately which requires a reboot to get it working again. I may end up disconnecting it when not in use.
The program guide info comes from the 101 satellite. If you leave your box tuned to an OTA channel or to an HD channel for long periods, the guide won't update. The dreaded overheat syndrome can also be involved in a problem like this so the vaunted fan idea may help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.