AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first LCD TV (Toshiba 42HL67). I've calibrated it with Avia and it looks really good. The brightness and contrast settings alone make the picture the perfect brightness. It looks good during daytime and nighttime viewing.

I have the backlight set to 0 (and DynaLight off obviously). Is there any reason the backlight should be used? Does the backlight just affect white level or does it affect black level as well? In any case, given that the picture's luminosity is right on target without using the backlight, is there a compelling reason to turn it on?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
With LCD panels the backlight is always on, or you wouldn't see a picture at all. Backlight adjustment will primarily need attention with changing room lighting levels. Since the cold cathode fluorescent backlight is always on, it tends to compromise black level in low light viewing conditions. Some light will bleed through the screen composition in dark areas and this is more noticeable in a dark room. Some LCD designs are better than others in this regard.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Just to prevent confusion, not all LCDs have permanent backlights, the LED backlit ones can be modulated, which can help create incredibly high contrast ratios since they turn off dynamically.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts