AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm an American who lives in India, trying to build a system of separates but also want to get clean power (quite a commodity here). I've thought to get a little surround bookshelf speaker system for cheap from home (thinking Velodyne CHT system on closeout) but then buy a sub and receiver here in India, so I don't have to convert the power from 220 down to 110. I have the converter but I've just blown a channel on my current receiver and I'd prefer not to deal with it. Problem is prices are WAY more expensive here than at home.

I was looking on the OnkyoIndia website and some of their receivers show 120/240v power requirements. Checked that same model from a US etailer and it showed only 120VAC. Long story short do any of you know if your receiver can take dual voltage, or can you run to the living room and look at the back and tell me? I'm looking mostly at sub-$300 units, so thanks high-end guys but save yourself the time

Computers and projectors are all dual-voltage, which is great because projectors cost 2.5x as much here. I know a reciever would SUCK to carry back but I've carried more delicate things (3 desktop computers, 30" monitor) and I'm a pretty skilled packer/insulator.

Thanks!

·
Registered
651 Posts
my 2 year old yamaha receiver (htr- 5830 which will be replaced within 12 months) has a dual voltage selector. dont know if that is the norm or if i got a european model (bought online) but i doubt it- the selector was set to U.S. voltage. not sure if they still do that either. worth checking though.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks that's pretty interesting and encouraging. I hope I can trust website specs to tell me when they're both. Any thoughts on a fast way to search for this? Froogling "120/240 volts HDMI receiver" didn't work.... thinking...

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump... still in the market, thinking to just go for a lower power digital receiver (XR57) and use the step down.. but if anyone can give me other suggestions for auto-switching units I'm all ears.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Now days models for US market are 120vm for European market 240v and rest of the world are dual voltage.

As long as the unit is 50-60Hz you can use it any where in the world, converting power from 120 to 240 or vice versa is easy but to convert 50hz to 60hz or vice versa is the hard part not to mention expensive.

if the unit from leading brand it will work when you move back to the US, i am saying that because i am a dealer and have many customers who take their products back home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know of a couple of manufactures that produce 110/220 stuff. (I'm sure there are others....)

There is a guy selling Yamaha RX-V359 and RX-V459 recievers on FleaBay.

The Yamaha RX-V1600 is also produced in a dual voltage model. (prob over your price range.)

The Pioneer VSX-2016 is also made in a dual voltage model. (also prob too exp.)

When you google use the terms "110 220 appliance" or "110 220 electronics".

Good Luck,

vwgtinut

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. Looking into it, but yeah I'd like to stay under $300. As for using it when I come back home not a big issue, I'll be in India for many more years to come.

I need HDMI, that's the rub. The whole point of upgrading the receiver is for HDMI audio decoding from HD-DVDs. I appreciate the input from abroad

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
There's a shop up in Chicago area I know of that sells dual-voltage receivers & other stuff.

I'd suggestion to brouse at: www.world-import.com

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

·
Registered
651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgtinut /forum/post/0

I know of a couple of manufactures that produce 110/220 stuff. (I'm sure there are others....)

There is a guy selling Yamaha RX-V359 and RX-V459 recievers on FleaBay.

The Yamaha RX-V1600 is also produced in a dual voltage model. (prob over your price range.)

The Pioneer VSX-2016 is also made in a dual voltage model. (also prob too exp.)

When you google use the terms "110 220 appliance" or "110 220 electronics".

Good Luck,

vwgtinut

hdmi may bump your price a bit but...

just found your post again. i just picked up the above mentioned pioneer 2016. it is actually a rebadged pioneer elite 81- or the elite 81 is a rebadged 2016 i guess since the receivers ARE made and designed overseas. in a nutshell it is the SAME exact receiver except the 2016 is silver and the 81 is black.

anyhow do you know anyone that is military or ex military or are you military? if you can find someone who is check out the receiver at the AAFES website. this is how i got my 2016 through my father who is retired air force. it is normally around a $1000 receiver but AAFES has it for 579.99 with free shipping (at least t the U.S. not sure about anywhere else). maybe out of your range but if you can hold off for a bit and squeak out the extra cash it is WELL worth it AND it has 4 voltage settings so it will work virtually anywhere. it arrived from japan in 7 calendar days as well.

the receiver itself is amazing and feature laden. has hdmi 1.2 audio etc. and at that price will give you YEARS of satisfaction. i stumbled upon it by total accident as i had a $600 reciever budget and just wasn't totally happy with what i was finding. my parents suggested the AAFES idea to me and let me use their log in to look and there it was.

come to think of it IF you CAN find someone do check out the AAFES site because i know almost all of the receivers they sell ARE multi voltage units. which makes perfect sense since they have families deployed all over the world.

and i KNOW they have some in your initial price range. although at that price point i'm not sure if i remember seeing any with hdmi. good luck

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the response guys, but no, I don't have any military connections.

That world-import site was good, but it looks like the International models are a year or so out of date - that is they don't have any HDMI. I guess the best solution for me is going to be to buy the Panny XR57 (with a digital amp that's more effecient) and run it through my 750watt step-down. As far as I understand it's nearly twice as effecient since it only does the digital to analog conversion at the speaker output terminal, and it only weighs 4kg. That'll be another big plus.

I appreciate all of your thoughts and I feel better that I've exhausted this avenue suffeciently to move forward with peace that the 110 XR57 is my only practical choice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.