AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to come up with a way of storing all of my music in an easily accessible format that I can bring with me or play in my home with very good quality. I am currently thinking that an iPod would be a good medium to store my music but I'm not sure if there is a good solution available to get good digital signals into a receiver.

Are there any receivers out there that allow a true digital connection from the iPod to the receiver? Does anyone have any experience with this that could comment on the sound quality? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I would imagine with the right mini jack and y splitter to rca connectors, you can connect it to anything. Then again, I've never used an ipod so maybe I'm missing something here?

·
Registered
849 Posts
There are numerous ways to get an Ipod to connect to a receiver. I use the Airport Express from Apple. It has a line out jack on it for connecting to the receiver. I find the sound quality to adequate. I still prefer streaming my music to my HT through my Xbox but thats just me.

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

·
Registered
124 Posts
Also, Onkyo just introduced the iPod dock for about $100. This works with most of their older recievers, and their newer recievers allow you to control the iPod via the Onkyo remote.

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
I use my iPod with my home system and it sound fantastic. I use a simple RCA cable into my iPod and it sounds great. I have close to 20GB in AAC format on my iPod which is about 300+ CD's. Greatest thing I ever did. I just purchased an optical cable and will be fooling around with making a digital connection when I get a chance. But given the limitations of AAC or MP3 anyhow, a digital connection is probably overkill.

·
Registered
569 Posts
as far as i know, there's no way to bypass the ipod's dac...

but if you compress with ALAC lossless and use the ipod's line out (Sik Din or the like) into a good quality mini-to-RCA IC... you can connect it to any receiver you happen to get your hands on.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The cool and unique way the Pioneer VSX-72/74 work with the iPod is that the receiver will display the user interface from the iPod onto the TV through the HDMI/Component/S-Video/composite video output. It also charges the iPod at the same time. This makes if very simple to make your way through up to 60 gigabytes of music. The receiver also scales the iPods AAC music to 192kHz 24 bit audio.

WalkamoHB

·
Registered
483 Posts
One of the Denons has an iPod attachment. One of their higher end models. Also Onkyo has a dock DS-A1 that allows it to mate with most of their receivers.

·
Registered
16,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkamoHB
The cool and unique way the Pioneer VSX-72/74 work with the iPod is that the receiver will display the user interface from the iPod onto the TV through the HDMI/Component/S-Video/composite video output. It also charges the iPod at the same time. This makes if very simple to make your way through up to 60 gigabytes of music. The receiver also scales the iPods AAC music to 192kHz 24 bit audio.

WalkamoHB
Sweet. I'm not sure what good "scaling" AACs to 192/24 does, though.

I've been putting some of my favorite CDs on an external harddrive as .wavs and using an iPod strictly for .wavs; mostly for travel. But I do use a miniplug-to-RCA splitter into an unused input on my receiver with no problems. Works great for a Zone2 music source.

Does anyone know what the difference is in using the dock's jack versus the player's jack?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkamoHB
The receiver also scales the iPods AAC music to 192kHz 24 bit audio.
so the pioneer has an internal upsampler? can it be activated for other sources as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim
Does anyone know what the difference is in using the dock's jack versus the player's jack?
the dock jack is an unamplified line out that bypasses the iPod's headphone amp. it's a much cleaner, balanced signal.

·
Registered
16,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicAjax
the dock jack is an unamplified line out that bypasses the iPod's headphone amp. it's a much cleaner, balanced signal.
i don't think so. the output from my dock's jack is identical to the output from my iPod's jack when at max volume.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
@ IFA (Europe) next week and @ CEDIA (USA) the week after, more AVRs and products with iPod connectivity will be announced.. Wait about 2 weeks and these will be posted..

·
Registered
78 Posts
M Code:

You seem to have some advance information? What have you heard that you can share with us that don't attend CEDIA or IFA. What manfuacturers are you talking about -- and in multi-channel or stereo?

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keelmoose
M Code:

You seem to have some advance information? What have you heard that you can share with us that don't attend CEDIA or IFA. What manfuacturers are you talking about -- and in multi-channel or stereo?
The iPod has become very popular so to include an interface for an AVR to an iPod both for control, charging and audio.. Onkyo, Pioneer have alraedy announced plans and so others should follow..

·
Registered
84 Posts
i haven't yet found a dock with a digital output such that you could use the ipod digitally to the receiver.

however, it is possible to do with a computer using itunes (which you already have to manage the ipod) and the airport express. that will get you a true digital connection between the audio files and the receiver. it has a toslink out, and therefore means the only conversion that will happen is the d/a conversion in the receiver. that connection provides much higher quality than the more "fm" quality of the analog out of the ipod and airport express.

i would encourage you to look at using itunes, the computer, and airport express. this system works flawlessly for me at home and has for some time. i'd only more recently switched to using the digital connection to my denon receiver and it is a big improvement over the analog connection.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code
The iPod has become very popular so to include an interface for an AVR to an iPod both for control, charging and audio.. Onkyo, Pioneer have alraedy announced plans and so others should follow..
I think some of the new Denon's also have an iPod port.

Bob

·
Registered
941 Posts
H/K has an in-car product for iPod control, so I'd expect to see an iPod interface on their next AVR line-up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.