AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time Warner Cable supplies a set top box, the Scientific Atlanta 3100hd. It has R-L (analog) audio connections and Digital Coax audio.

I just bought a HK AVR 320, and I am quite pleased with it. However, the digital audio only works on digital channels, which is above channel 99. Below that you have to use the analog inputs.

So as you flip channels you have to hit the "Digital" button on the remote, and then scroll one keystroke at a time thru the 3 coax and 3 optic and analog to find the desired Coax 1 or Analog choices.

Please would someone tell me about any receivers which do that automatically, using a digital signal when it is present, and reverting to analog when it is not? I have heard that the Denon 3802 does it, but are there any others?

The Scientific Atlanta website says there is, but does not name one.

I have a Pronto 2000, but it is difficult to program that for this purpose because the starting point is not always known, and I cannot find a discrete code for the desired end points.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
The Kenwood 6070 has an auto detection for analog or digital signals. I only know this from reading it manual, and its prolly the receiver I am going to end up with at the last part of this week.

·
Registered
432 Posts
You might want to check out the SA 4200 - it'll likely replace the 3100 you have currently. Depending on its operation, you might not need a receiver upgrade. Good luck.

Austin

Quote:
Originally posted by bertramm
Time Warner Cable supplies a set top box, the Scientific Atlanta 3100hd. It has R-L (analog) audio connections and Digital Coax audio.

I just bought a HK AVR 320, and I am quite pleased with it. However, the digital audio only works on digital channels, which is above channel 99. Below that you have to use the analog inputs.

So as you flip channels you have to hit the "Digital" button on the remote, and then scroll one keystroke at a time thru the 3 coax and 3 optic and analog to find the desired Coax 1 or Analog choices.

Please would someone tell me about any receivers which do that automatically, using a digital signal when it is present, and reverting to analog when it is not? I have heard that the Denon 3802 does it, but are there any others?

The Scientific Atlanta website says there is, but does not name one.

I have a Pronto 2000, but it is difficult to program that for this purpose because the starting point is not always known, and I cannot find a discrete code for the desired end points.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Quote:
Please would someone tell me about any receivers which do that automatically, using a digital signal when it is present, and reverting to analog when it is not?
My Sony DA5ES has an "Auto" mode, I believe... I have both digital and analog from my AudioTron hooked up (because though digital is used for the main room, the receiver only routes analog to "zone-2" and "zone-3"). I can try to test it by pulling out the toslink cable and seeing if it switches automatically. It may be that it only checks to see which is available when you switch to that input...

Quote:
An excellent resource for remote discrete codes is www.remotecentral.com - they have lots of links and their forum has lots of Pronto users :)

·
Registered
622 Posts
From my cable box, I run svideo and coax directly to my receiver, and the rca cable box connections run to my vcr, that way I can record. svideo from the VCR to receiver. But I nderstand what you're talking about with regards to channels less than 99. I have to flip my VCR on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all who replied. I switched to a Sony DA4es, which automatically switches to analog if digital is not present. I am very happy with it.

One disavantage is that the FM radio performance is nowhere near as good as the HK, but I do not use that much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.