AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, can anyone recommend me a good upgrade for my sub? I'm not upgrading due to dis-liking my sub or anything but I'm currently upgrading my whole HT and have had this sub for a few years, plus I'm in rare postion where I actually have some extra funds to spend. I'm looking at a max budget of $1500 but would prefer not to max out..but would if I have too for HQ

Sound quality is the only real thing I care about. I don't care how big it is or what it looks like as I am a single dude who lives by myself(house), so no WAF here, just give me the goods lol. It will be used for movies and music equally. It doesn't have to be the lowest hitting sub just as long as it has very good sound quality, although low is nice. i really enjoy the smoothness of the bass my SVS puts out. It can go down pretty low but never gets sloppy and always has an awsome smoothness to it. I do however think it lacks in the higher bass.

I'm looking for something that would be day and night difference as I will be selling my SVS sub to my best friend who loves it and would have no problems busting my chops to the bone if my "upgrade" isn't much of one. My system does not fall upon deaf ears, my buds are my biggest critics and fans of every aspect of my HT. Pisses a guy off sometimes as these are not the kind of buds to beat around the bush to spare feelings but pure satisfaction when I shut them up other times. This would have to be one of those times
. Thx guys

·
Registered
12,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeratt /forum/post/16963852

Hey all, can anyone recommend me a good upgrade for my sub? I'm not upgrading due to dis-liking my sub or anything but I'm currently upgrading my whole HT and have had this sub for a few years, plus I'm in rare postion where I actually have some extra funds to spend. I'm looking at a max budget of $1500 but would prefer not to max out..but would if I have too for HQ

Sound quality is the only real thing I care about. I don't care how big it is or what it looks like as I am a single dude who lives by myself(house), so no WAF here, just give me the goods lol. It will be used for movies and music equally. It doesn't have to be the lowest hitting sub just as long as it has very good sound quality, although low is nice. i really enjoy the smoothness of the bass my SVS puts out. It can go down pretty low but never gets sloppy and always has an awsome smoothness to it. I do however think it lacks in the higher bass.

I'm looking for something that would be day and night difference as I will be selling my SVS sub to my best friend who loves it and would have no problems busting my chops to the bone if my "upgrade" isn't much of one. My system does not fall upon deaf ears, my buds are my biggest critics and fans of every aspect of my HT. Pisses a guy off sometimes as these are not the kind of buds to beat around the bush to spare feelings but pure satisfaction when I shut them up other times. This would have to be one of those times
. Thx guys

It's a bit above your budget, but a Mark Seaton SubMersive would meet all your other criteria superbly.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx alot guys. How much above my budget are we talking Milerwell? And yes lalkersfan, I want to leave ZERO doubt. Is a "Mark Seaton SubMersive" a better sub for my needs than the "Epik Dynasty"?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeratt /forum/post/16964068

Thx alot guys. How much above my budget are we talking Milerwell? And yes lalkersfan, I want to leave ZERO doubt. Is a "Mark Seaton SubMersive" a better sub for my needs than the "Epik Dynasty"?

The Submersive is a better subwoofer. It also costs $2000 instead of $1300 (I was trying to stay below your budget including shipping). Is your PB12 ISD a single or dual driver ISD? If it's a single, there is "zero doubt" the Dynasty (and even the Phoenix) are much better in every way. They'll handily beat it in upper bass output, deep extension, and SQ. If it's a dual, the Phoenix and Dynasty are still more powerful and should sound much better, but the margin won't be as extreme. The Submersive is a superb subwoofer but it's a good deal over your budget.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/16964109

The Submersive is a better subwoofer. It also costs $2000 instead of $1300 (I was trying to stay below your budget including shipping). Is your PB12 ISD a single or dual driver ISD? If it's a single, there is "zero doubt" the Dynasty (and even the Phoenix) are much better in every way. They'll handily beat it in upper bass output, deep extension, and SQ. If it's a dual, the Phoenix and Dynasty are still more powerful and should sound much better, but the margin won't be as extreme. The Submersive is a superb subwoofer but it's a good deal over your budget.

Yeah I think your right. Thx for the extra info. I think my ISD is a single driver. I will look into your recommendations, thx alot guys.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Starting to look like my next sub is gonna be the "Epik Dynasty" like lalakers fan mentioned. I just hit the Epik Sub thread and this one does look like it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for and requested. Unless anyone has a better arguement, this will be my new purchase early next month, looking forward to it. Thx for the great suggestion lakersfan.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeratt /forum/post/16964120

Yeah I think your right. Thx for the extra info. I think my ISD is a single driver. I will look into your recommendations, thx alot guys.

You might want to make sure if your ISD is a single or dual driver sub. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeratt /forum/post/16964214

Starting to look like my next sub is gonna be the "Epik Dynasty" like lalakers fan mentioned. I just hit the Epik Sub thread and this one does look like it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for and requested. Unless anyone has a better arguement, this will be my new purchase early next month, looking forward to it. Thx for the great suggestion lakersfan.

I'd recommend talking to Chad at Epik to see what he thinks. However, I have used subs similar to the ones being talked about and can vouch for the Epiks from personal experience. I used to own dual PB10-NSD's, which aren't all that different than a PB12-ISD, and since moved to an Epik Castle (which has been replaced by the Phoenix). The Castle is better than two PB10-NSD's in every way - midbass output, deep extension, output below 30hz, and SQ. To be honest, two PB10-NSD's are better than a single PB12-ISD, and the Dynasty is better than the Castle, so you should notice an even bigger difference. Don't get me wrong - SVS makes great subwoofers, but you're comparing a cheaper, 4-5 year old sub to a more expensive, up-to-date subwoofer. Subwoofers have progressed so much over the past few years that the benefits you'll reap from an upgrade are significant. SVS's newer subs are also extremely competitive, but if the nicer veneers don't matter to you (you're a single guy so it doesn't seem to matter to you), I think Epik wins out in the pure performance per dollar category.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahhhhh craaaaap!....Guess apparently they don't ship to Canada, what a rip. Not sure what I'm gonna do now. I don't want to order something inferior just cause Epik won't ship here. Gonna have to throw on the thinking cap I guess. A US trip is only 2-3 hrs away which I have no problem making but I have no where to ship it to

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill /forum/post/16973083

If you're comfortable with the price, you won't be disappointed!

I'm not comfortable with the price but I'm gonna spend it anyway
lol

I just sent Mark a pm so hopefully I hear back from him soon. Thx for suggestion, looks like an amazing sub.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeratt /forum/post/16973112

I'm not comfortable with the price but I'm gonna spend it anyway
lol

I just sent Mark a pm so hopefully I hear back from him soon. Thx for suggestion, looks like an amazing sub.

Awesome, Jeratt. The Submersive is pretty much universally thought of as an exceptional subwoofer. Assuming you can afford to spend the extra dough, it should make you very happy

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/16973239

Awesome, Jeratt. The Submersive is pretty much universally thought of as an exceptional subwoofer. Assuming you can afford to spend the extra dough, it should make you very happy

Thx lakersfan good to hear. I actually am currently in a postion where I can afford the extra dough. I was just being a tight ass as it's kind of intimadating for a newb to spend this much on something I've never heard. I am slowly getting used to it though as like I mentioned my current sub is an SVS, plus my speakers are Sierra 1's from Ascend Acoustics and I have been extremely pleased with them

·
Registered
742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeratt /forum/post/16973278

Thx lakersfan good to hear. I actually am currently in a postion where I can afford the extra dough. I was just being a tight ass as it's kind of intimadating for a newb to spend this much on something I've never heard. I am slowly getting used to it though as like I mentioned my current sub is an SVS, plus my speakers are Sierra 1's from Ascend Acoustics and I have been extremely pleased with them

Just wondering why you haven't considered the PB13 Ultra? Too much dough I suppose? Having a Canadian distributor is a nice bonus too.

have fun with whatever you get

·
Registered
12,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeratt /forum/post/16973278

I have had Sierra-1's since they first came out--really sweet speakers--with the SubMersive I received just last week. A great combo!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill /forum/post/16974406

I have had Sierra-1's since they first came out--really sweet speakers--with the SubMersive I received just last week. A great combo!

Didn't I see you also mention you have an Onkyo 805 somewhere? My 806 should be arriving anyday now
lol.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts