AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now using using my Denon 3802 remote for most of my HT components, except that I still have to use my RCA DirectTV sat remote to utilize the UltimateTV function (their version of Tivo and Replay). Specifically, I use the buttons to retrieve "My Shows", and to skip backwards and forwards to skip commercials, etc.

Are there any remotes (e.g., Pronto, Home Theater Master) that can operate these Ultimate TV functions, so I can use a single remote?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes, you can use a Pronto or HTM remote to control your UltimateTV. If neither has UltimateTV codes in their built-in IR databases, you can just as easily teach them using your original RCA remote. Actually, any so-called learning remote will be able to control yout UltimateTV, not just Pronto or HTM, but those seem to be the most popular around here.

·
Registered
103 Posts
What RuffRyder says is partly true. Nearly any learning remote will work for you, but it's the amount of available memory that is the key. I absolutely love the Cinema 7 series of remotes but out-of-the-box they just don't have enough learning memory to learn an entire device. I've recently gotten into JP1 programming with the C7 and now am able to use it with my Sony TiVo but that is NOT for the novice.

Get over to www.remotecentral.com and poke around. Lots of great reviews of remotes and the forums are very useful. I'm a fan of the MX-500 from HTM, that's what I moved to for my home theater when the C7 couldn't keep up any more.

Dan

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm also a happy MX-500 user. It's nowhere near as expensive as the touch-screen remotes, and you don't have to look at it to use it (you can feel the buttons, which you can't do on a touch screen).

It has a disc, like the TiVo peanut, as well as the rest of the standard set of buttons, so I was able to teach it all of my TiVo's commands and keep them mapped to similar controls on the remote.

The macros are nice, too.

--Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.