AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With very normal on-board sound, does the speaker quality really matter? Any suggestion if it can make a different?

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
How big can the speakers be? How much can you spend? What is it you are trying to do, make music sound good, gaming, movies?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Speakers are the most direct way to influence sound quality, it absolutely does make a difference. Are you looking for powered speakers for your desk? Depending on your budget, take a look at www.audioengineusa.com

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I use the Audioengine 2 speakers for my computer, and the sound quality is very good.

I suggest that you read the Stereophile article on them.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchor  /t/1524034/any-resonable-good-speakers-for-computer-desktop#post_24521880

With very normal on-board sound, does the speaker quality really matter? Any suggestion if it can make a different?

PC on board sound has progressed from being a major embarrassment in even the early 2000s to something that is good enough to be used with the best speakers you can find.

While they may be a little large and pricey, Behringer B2031A monitors are exceedingly competent speakers for this purpose, especially if you like your sound on the loud side.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1524034/any-resonable-good-speakers-for-computer-desktop#post_24522363

PC on board sound has progressed from being a major embarrassment in even the early 2000s to something that is good enough to be used with the best speakers you can find.

While they may be a little large and pricey, Behringer B2031A monitors are exceedingly competent speakers for this purpose, especially if you like your sound on the loud side.

The 2031As are great speakers but are much larger than what most desktops could accommodate. As for onboard sound, unless sound jacks have dramatically improved in the last couple years, it isn't very common to get good onboard sound, at least with analogue 1/8" jacks. You would have to buy motherboards that specifically state a very good onboard sound specs, like some of the higher end Asus boards. Good audio interfaces have become very inexpensive though, so it's easy to get a very clean sound, take this Behringer interface for instance.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1524034/any-resonable-good-speakers-for-computer-desktop#post_24522498

As for onboard sound, unless sound jacks have dramatically improved in the last couple years, it isn't very common to get good onboard sound, at least with analogue 1/8" jacks. You would have to buy motherboards that specifically state a very good onboard sound specs, like some of the higher end Asus boards. Good audio interfaces have become very inexpensive though, so it's easy to get a very clean sound, take this Behringer interface for instance.
It's something to try and see. Some are OK. If not, there are a range of USB soundcards to take care of the issues with analogue jacks and computer noise. They're as cheap as about $10 , others start at about $25 and of course you can spend more.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1524034/any-resonable-good-speakers-for-computer-desktop#post_24523248

$50 budget makes me cry. Get some headphones.

Honestly only AV addict would buy PC speakers that worth a lot. The PC desktop body itself just costs like $200 US dollars for non gaming purpose kind. $50 is 25% of this range.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms142  /t/1524034/any-resonable-good-speakers-for-computer-desktop#post_24523664

For ~$50, I'd suggest the following $64 combo:

$52 Pioneer deals:
http://www.cnet.com/news/a-super-deal-on-super-audiophile-speakers/

+ the $25 Lepai mentioned here ($12 on amazon):
http://www.cnet.com/news/lepais-tiny-powerhouse-amplifier-wont-break-the-bank/

Both have been raved for their values by audiophiles used to $10K+ equipments.

thanks for your suggestion.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
I continue to use an old set of Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble IV (sat/sub combo) with an even older Pioneer A/V Receiver because it still has line level inputs for 5.1. This combo gets me 5 channel surround sound on my desktop with speakers that sound good in near field and are small enough to not take up a lot of desk space. Recently, one of my cubes went bad so I shifted my center channel into it's position and recalibrated the system for 4 channel surround. This brings up an interesting dilemma as if any more cubes fail I'll probably need to replace the lot. I have the Pioneer bookshelves (have an extra pair I no longer use when I shifted from a 7.2 to a 5.2 system on my main home theater) but they take up a lot of space and aren't the best for near field. Add to that they are fairly power hungry and require a receiver that can push a 4-ohm load-- not a yuge deal as I have an extra Onkyo that should be able to push them no problem but then I still have the issue of dropping back to stereo.

Would love to find a good sounding, affordable sat/sub combo like the Ensembles but they seem to have gone out of fashion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts