AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have there been any good reviews of this DLP projector? I've seen the one on projectorcentral.com, but no others. Has anyone seen any others?

I'm looking for a good projector in the $10k range for a multipurpose family room that has a small amount of ambient cross-light from the kitchen. My source will be mostly DVD's and sometimes HD DirectTV broadcasts.

Any help would be welcome.

thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hello Dan

There have been a few very good reviews in German magazines.

The reviewers thought it would be the best DLP projector available at the moment!

Maybe in a few weeks time, when other 16:9 DLP projectors are out,Marantz and Seleco HT300 come to mind, things might change.

As you mentioned ambient light, I don't know how well the Sharp would perform.

The new Hitachi LCOS projector might be an option, or the Sanyo that was compared to the Sharp on projectorcentral.com

Obviously there are the D-ILA owners that might want to add their comments.

You should mention what size screen you want to use and your seating-distance.

Anthony

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm considering a 92" Stewart Grayhawk 16:9 screen (45x80"), with a seating distance of about 12feet. Would the Sharp be a good choice? The installer I'm using is recommending the Runco DR300c, but I tend to think the Sharp 9000, with its 16:9 chip, may well perform better and represent a better value.

Appreciate any thoughts,

Dan

·
Registered
581 Posts
Dear Dan

Make a search for a member called Augie, he has the screen dimension calculator in his signature. You'll be able to calculate the distance with that.

Don Stewart from Stewart screens mentioned that a Grayhawk will be fine with the Sharp as lon as it doesn't exceed 100''

As for the Runco you mentioned.......as far as I know it's a

NEC LT 150 that can be had for 2K or 3K.

Cheers

Anthony

·
Registered
360 Posts
Dan,

I just saw the Sharp for the 1st time and I was VERY impressed with it!!! They were using a 100in 16x9 screen (Stewart 1.3 gain I think). I saw it using a hi-def feed at 1080i and 2 DVD 's at 480P from the DVD player...of course the Hi Def feed was the best....I thought it did a great job on the 2 DVD's (Toy Story 2 and Vertical Limit). This projector made me rethink my concerns about DLP projectors. I REALLY liked it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Mike- Great to hear you liked the Sharp :) Did you notice any lip sync problems? (Hopefully the answer is no :) ) How was the fan noise? I can't wait to get the Sharp XV-Z9000E here :)

Spero D.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Spizz,

Fan noise????????? I think the quietness was the most impressive thing about the Sharp!!! was literally

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.