AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 489 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for any links to reviews on the DAYTON 12" 150 WATT POWERED SUBWOOFER at Parts Express. Anyone have any first hand knowledge on this sub? I need to buy a sub in the next 2 weeks and am looking to spend no more than $400.

Thanks

Edit: My room is approx. 3000 cubic feet. 12' wide x 25' long with a 13' cathedral ceiling. The far corner has an 12' opening to a dinning room with a 8' ceiling and a 4' wide by 8' tall hall opening on the next wall.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Check the posts of Chicago Dan and Hypo Luxa. They are pretty happy. No 3rd party specs as of yet.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I received my Dayton 12" last Wednesday.

1. My only previous experience with a sub in my room was a JBL PB 12, and my 5.1 Sony receiver has a lot to be desired.

2. My room is an acoustic nightmare, central kitchen, tile flooring, no cloth (allergies), but I digress...

3. The Dayton arrived on time in excellent condition. The box it was packed in could not say the same. No (bad) surprises regarding shipping price or otherwise.

First impression: WAY more power(150watt) than the JBL(sold as 250watt sub, if that's accurate??). Lots of air moving out of the port and tight response from the woofer.

5. It's been about a week and I think I'm close to dialed in(see: room nightmare and fledgling experience).

5a. I have not used any real time analyzers or software. Just a RS spl meter and nearly even levels around 85spl (c, slow), and my ears.

Conclusion: I've been really trying to find that "sweet spot" crossover(not there yet, I'm slow) . 180 phase control made a huge difference in the corner where the sub lives. I was amazed at how I could feel the bass without buzzing or booming and just a pleasant, non-directional sensation. I think this sub is a great bargain for ~160 shipped. Much more power without that same "blamm!" sound over and over which was what my JBL was like. Considering my huge (house)-room, this unit holds it's own. Don't get me wrong, my room is not "breathing" like others have experienced with high-end subs, and my experience is limited. Someone with some knowledge about placement and setup could really make the most of this budget-conscious subwoofer. I am so grateful I didn't just go to the local big box and buy a name brand (for twice the shipped price). I think this sub will satisfy me for some time...or maybe just one more in the other corner... :rolleyes:

Thanks to all the forum members who offered advice for myself and others. I'm stoked and loving my new sub.

PS my fave new test dvd, Roger

Waters 'In The Flesh'. Try

switching between PCM and DD!

Good stuff. :D

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I don't understand. With all of these sub $250 dollar subs around here, why is no one posting some FRs and max SPLs?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the review. I can't believe that there's no formal/technical review yet. With so much buzz, someone has to have done some more extensive testing. I'm not a techie nor do I have the equipment to test(wish I would of stayed in technical school!).

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
We've had many promises of test data, but as yet no deliveries. Everyone is probably too busy enjoying their new toys... ;)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Here's my guess as to why no charts or measurements.

The people that are more likely to buy this sub are bargain hunters who are less likely to own and use all the measurement tools. Most of the people around here with all the gadgets go with higher-end subs. I know I wouldn't spend a couple hundred bucks on stuff to measure and configure my $125 sub. I could have spent the money on a better sub. For the price point the manufacturer isn't going to spend a ton of money on fancy charts and testing time in anechoic chambers.

Please remember the price point of this sub. It is an entry level sub that provides great bang for the buck (from what I have read) but it is not a world class sub, nor is it advertised as such.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I agree with Darren 100%.

Those who are buying these subs for the most part, are not Tom Ns, Craig Subs, or Ed Mullins types.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas
Still, if one owns a RS SPL meter, all they need to do is dload the RoomEQ program, bring their computer into their listening room, move the sub into the middle of the room, and do some sweeps and post the results. This won't be optimal conditions, but it will at least give a good idea of what the sub can and can't do.
I'd be willing to try this. Does anyone have a link to the RoomEQ download?

Or, I do have a freeware version of the TrueRTA and a stock dell labtop, would this be more or less accurate than the RoomEQ?

Any tips/warnings before I try this for the first time? I would hate to damage the unit because of my own ignorance. :eek:

·
Registered
2,571 Posts

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
First make sure your sub is calibrated with your speakers. Pull your sub out into the middle of your room, or in the largest open space you can. Setup the spl meter facing the driver at either 1 or 2 meters away, make a note of which distance is used. Use the roomEQ to do sweeps at 75db from 15-100hz. I believe these sweeps are done rather quickly with this program, so there should be no chance for damage at the lower frequencies. I believe the latest version also gives distortion spl, not quite sure, haven't used it in depth yet. If so, this will give you frequency response and distortion at 75db.

To determine peak spl at lower frequencies, I'm not exactly sure, but I believe you would do a series of reverse sweeps, maybe 100-20hz, raising the volume each time until the sub starts to show signs of giving up - when it does, on the next sweep, raise the lower hz level a little. For example, if you can get 95db at 20hz, but have a hard time getting 97db, go from 80-23hz on the next sweep. When you have a hard time getting any louder at 23hz, go 80-26hz, and so on. This should give you peak spl at lower frequencies with distortion levels. Again, I believe the sweeps are relatively fast, and I'd probably give the sub a one minute break between each sweep to ensure no damage. Don't go crazy on the volume jumps either, 2 or 3db increases each time.

I'm no expert at testing, anyone who is, let me know if something in there sounds wrong.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thanks gang, I'll give this a whirl on Thursday (day off). I'll post the results and my process. I'll probably start with RTA because I have a really nice step by step posted by one of the forum members. Then I'll move on to the RoomEQ and compare results. Any other advice before then would be appreciated, hopefully I can get some fairly accurate measurements that can help others.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Puckhead,

This is great. I'll be looking forward to your results. I will be ordering my new sub sometime next week.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dae3dae3
Here's my guess as to why no charts or measurements.

The people that are more likely to buy this sub are bargain hunters who are less likely to own and use all the measurement tools. Most of the people around here with all the gadgets go with higher-end subs. I know I wouldn't spend a couple hundred bucks on stuff to measure and configure my $125 sub. I could have spent the money on a better sub. For the price point the manufacturer isn't going to spend a ton of money on fancy charts and testing time in anechoic chambers.

Please remember the price point of this sub. It is an entry level sub that provides great bang for the buck (from what I have read) but it is not a world class sub, nor is it advertised as such.
Believe it or not, I bought an RS meter and Stryke test CD to calibrate my 10" Dayton sub that cost all of $114 including shipping. I don't know what I did with the chart.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jack,

How do you like the 10" Dayton? How about some feed back? Size room, music or ht main usage? Also do you have any other subs that you've used to compare it to? I'm sure the 12" will out perform the 10", but it would be good to have your input also.

Thanks

Kingtut,

What part of So. Cal. are you in? Also, are you planning on getting the Dayton? I'm on the fence right now but would be interested in what your looking at in addition to the Dayton.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the 10" Dayton for my bedroom and Hsu VTF3 II for my main system. The 10" Dayton is very good value for the $, but it's a little small for my bedroom (13' x 16' w/an opening to another room 13' x 13'; it also has cathedral ceiling, which goes up to 15'). The 10" Dayton is fairly tight and non-boomy, but its driver size and amp are a little overmatched w/my bigger bedroom. Overall, the Hsu VTF 3 is much better than the 10" Dayton, but it costs almost 7x more. I live in San Diego.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
kingtut,

Even though the dimensions are different, the cubic feet are the same on my living room vs your bed room. Hopefully the 12" will have enough power to do the job. I'm located in the west end of Orange Co.

·
Registered
153 Posts
When you take into account the ajoining room, it's about 5800 cu. ft. for my rooms. Is your room around this size? The 10" Dayton is placed in front of the room next to the opening doorway to the next room (not corner-loaded, WAF :( ). If you place the 12" sub in a corner in the front or the corner by your seat, the wattage shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 20 of 489 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.