AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 489 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Its okay. I am just mildly pissed now. Besides, i am just going to use my refund and save a little bit more cash and go for a VTF-3 Mk-2. I guess its true. Buy cheap, buy twice! Thanks Parts Express! :cool:

·
Registered
101 Posts
That VTF 3 sounds like an excellent unit. Hopefully the HO will be here soon. I am beginning to wonder if my Dayton 12 arrives in one piece. With any luck they are changing their packing for this sub and mine will arrive in pristine condition.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine is supposed to be delivered this Friday. We live a ways out from Yakima and I may end up just picking it up at the local UPS office on Friday; after work, and save them the trip out here. It will also ensure that it actually is in my house on that day.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The packaging could definately use some more thought on PE's end. My Dayton arrived with the box in pretty bad shape, and when I opened it and found two of the foam pieces busted, I was very worried. However, There was not one scratch on the unit itself. This packaging design is in stark contrast to the packaging that my JBL E250 came in, much thicker cardboard and 2 dense foam pieces that suspended the sub inside. I will tell you this though, I got a great deal on the E250, but if the house was on fire and I had time for only one sub, I'd grab the Dayton. I prefer the build of the JBL, but the Dayton performs better for me and my room. I hope your sub arrives in perfect condition, but if not, I found a lot of people who claim PE's customer service is one of the best out there, so they should take care of you. Now excuse me, I should probably go get my wife out of the fire :eek:

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead
The packaging could definately use some more thought on PE's end. My Dayton arrived with the box in pretty bad shape, and when I opened it and found two of the foam pieces busted, I was very worried. However, There was not one scratch on the unit itself. This packaging design is in stark contrast to the packaging that my JBL E250 came in, much thicker cardboard and 2 dense foam pieces that suspended the sub inside. I will tell you this though, I got a great deal on the E250, but if the house was on fire and I had time for only one sub, I'd grab the Dayton. I prefer the build of the JBL, but the Dayton performs better for me and my room. I hope your sub arrives in perfect condition, but if not, I found a lot of people who claim PE's customer service is one of the best out there, so they should take care of you. Now excuse me, I should probably go get my wife out of the fire :eek:
puck, can you be more specific. Glad you like the Dayton :D , but I've heard the JBL which hit pretty hard and loud, but was very boomy in the rooms I heard it in. It'd be nice to know why you feel as you do...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple
puck, can you be more specific. Glad you like the Dayton :D , but I've heard the JBL which hit pretty hard and loud, but was very boomy in the rooms I heard it in. It'd be nice to know why you feel as you do...
I certainly plan to, RT. I'm still in what I would consider the "breaking in" period for both the subs and myself. My comments above are based on my initial impressions in

·
Registered
487 Posts
Quote:
I found a lot of people who claim PE's customer service is one of the best out there
I don't think customer service gets any better...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I got mine today - and i LOVE it! It hits harder then my 10" sub from the HTS-770 HTIB, and sounds much cleaner...the only problem is - Now i feel like i lack a mid-range in my system. As usual this $150 addition is going to probably make me spend a few hundred on some new front speakers, and eventually a center (or maybe the other way around)

The packing was sortof crappy...The box had two holes in it, but the sub had no physical damage. The styrofoam around it however was another story, two pieces were broken. I hate UPS - but this wouldnt be covered under insurance because i've been told a package of this weight requires at LEAST 2" of packaging from the inside of the box. I've been burnt on that before. There was only about an inch in there.

Sub is great, now im going to search on some configuration help...I've so much to learn!

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Quote:
I certainly plan to, RT. I'm still in what I would consider the "breaking in" period for both the subs and myself. My comments above are based on my initial impressions in
I know exactly what you mean. Take your time A/B them and stack them, enjoy it cause the price was right :)

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellman
I got mine today - and i LOVE it! It hits harder then my 10" sub from the HTS-770 HTIB, and sounds much cleaner...the only problem is - Now i feel like i lack a mid-range in my system. As usual this $150 addition is going to probably make me spend a few hundred on some new front speakers, and eventually a center (or maybe the other way around)

The packing was sortof crappy...The box had two holes in it, but the sub had no physical damage. The styrofoam around it however was another story, two pieces were broken. I hate UPS - but this wouldnt be covered under insurance because i've been told a package of this weight requires at LEAST 2" of packaging from the inside of the box. I've been burnt on that before. There was only about an inch in there.

Sub is great, now im going to search on some configuration help...I've so much to learn!
Congrats...huge difference huh. You might want to drop your crossover down from 100 to 80 (if you haven't already). It might help your midrange soundstage.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I picked mine up yesterday after work and the box had two large holes in it. The corners of the sub have styrofoam to the top of the sub with no packing in between. I took it out at the UPS office and could not find any damage to the sub itself. The sub is intact.

Just plugged it in last night and let it run on some classical low db material to help loosen it up. This morning dialed in some approximate settings and listened to Master and Commander. The cannon scenes were very good but at times there was some boominess. Not bad but apparaent. Where the sub really shined was at the end when a bass Viol played during the credits. Above 40 I will say this is, to my, ear a very musical sub. Will work on placement and see if the boominess can be corrected.

This is in a 5000 cu/ft room with the crossover at 80. I have an XR55 reciver set at -30 and sub at around 40% of its volume using the knob on the back. I have to say that it is definately worth the price. Will let it play for a couple of days and when I get back from Seattle will work on some levels.

·
Registered
487 Posts
lol, I just opened the box that PE sent to replace the first damaged 12" Dayton, and they sent me the 10" as the replacement, instead of the 12"...Is this a joke? I'm not laughing...

They triple boxed it...Too bad they sent the wrong one...

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rÿche 1
lol, I just opened the box that PE sent to replace the first damaged 12" Dayton, and they sent me the 10" as the replacement, instead of the 12"...Is this a joke? I'm not laughing...

That $uck$ a$$!

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rÿche 1

Someone's not paying attention in order processing. This may be in your favor. I would talk to CS and Tech Support, relay that you are trying to give this sub a great review, that other members have noted this and what are they going to do about it. If it doesn't at least get you a priority shipment, then they aren't paying attention to this forum, and I don't think that's true. PE distributes a ton of products and have a great reputation. They will make it right.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
When you add the cost of shipping the 10" back + the time cost to restock the unit + the paperwork + the goodwill, I think their best move would be to just ship you a new 12" and let you keep the 10"!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
When you add the cost of shipping the 10" back + the time cost to restock the unit + the paperwork + the goodwill, I think their best move would be to just ship you a new 12" and let you keep the 10"!!
Then you could stack the 10 on top of the 12 and have an 1812 subwoofer for cheap.

·
Registered
233 Posts
This Dayton sub has gotten a lot of my attention as I slowly build up my 1st HT system, on a budget of course. :cool:

Would a 12" Dayton be ideal for a 12'x25' living room? even though the HT area is half of that space as it is shared with dining space. Plan on putting it on a front corner wall, hoping it won't sound so directional (please correct me with proper term :p ). If not...maybe behind the couch.

It'll be accompanied along with just a pair of Polk R30 fronts, that's it, for now :(

Oh and the receiver's a Onkyo 602.

thanks.

41 - 60 of 489 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.